As a child, I fell in love with Rupert Holmes ‘Piña Colada Song’, a jaunty tune about infidelity, rudeness and general relationship apathy that rhymes “in the rain” with “half a brain”.  Ralph Waldo Emerson it ain’t, is what I’m saying, but it did preface my love for goofy one-shot superheroes like Skateman and the half-season of ‘Automan’ I saw in middle school.  All in all, most of the space on my MP3 player is occupied by bands that never hit big again, interspersed with The Monkees entire discography and a bunch of George Carlin monologues.  In a fit of what is probably actually irony, one of them is ‘That Thing You Do’, a song from a movie that satirizes the entire idea of the one-hit wonder, leading us to today’s earwormy query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) has a deep love for The Strawberry Alarm Clock of ‘Incense And Perppermints’ fame, but that may just be the name, asking: Who or what is your favorite one-hit wonder?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Wayne's Comics Podcast #170: Cavan Scott

Retro Review: Captain America Annual #8 (September 1986)

1. Daniel Mann
    March 29, 2015 at 11:49 am — Reply

I do love the Oneders. But I think my favorite is the proclaimers “500 miles”

• Alisha
      March 29, 2015 at 11:57 am — Reply

I like that Proclaimers song, but I didn’t LOVE it until the Doctor Who wrap-up video that used it with scenes of actors and crew lip-synching (and also had David Tennant with the actual Proclaimers in one bit). Tennant was REALLY going at it, it was great.

• Rob
        March 29, 2015 at 3:47 pm — Reply

Gotta love 500 miles, It’s pure sunshine for your ears. You should track down the rest of their back catalogue or even the musical Sunshine on Leith.

2. Alisha
    March 29, 2015 at 11:54 am — Reply

I’ve got a few I really like. “Take on Me” by A-ha, “Tainted Love” by Soft Cell (which I was actually singing in the shower this morning), “Spirit in the Sky” by Norman Greenbaum and “Kung Fu Fighting” by Carl Douglas.

• TheWolverine
      March 29, 2015 at 12:09 pm — Reply

The music video for A-ha’s “Take on me” is still my all time favorite. The use of rotoscoping and comic panels plus being decidedly 80’s, it just hits all the marks.

3. TheWolverine
    March 29, 2015 at 12:15 pm — Reply

As far as music goes, I’d have to say Steppenwolf’s “Magic carpet ride”. If only because of the connection to ST: First Contact.
    I had already liked it before the movie used it, but the way that scene went off with the song was quite enjoyable.

4. Kirby
    March 29, 2015 at 12:15 pm — Reply

Carl Douglas’ “Kung-fu Fighting” for me all the way. Just a fun little poppy song.

• March 29, 2015 at 12:31 pm — Reply

Yep, “Kung-Fu Fighting” is great.