On this week’s Major Spoilers Podcast, I reviewed the first issue of Titan Comics’ Ninth Doctor comic book. The adventures of Nine, Rose and Captain Jack are running concurrently with comic books starring the Tenth, Eleventh and Twelfth Doctors, giving fans a chance to enjoy any or all of their favorite modern series Doctors in monthly adventures. Of course, since it’s comics, we could concievably get a monthly dose of Doctors old AND new, without having to work around octogenarian Tom Baker or the sadly deceased first three Dcotors, leading us to today’s time-warping query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced “GAL-ih-fray”) only asks that we not denigrate each others choices, as you always get The Doctor you deserve, asking: Which version of the lead character of Doctor Who (whose I am obligated by Nerd Law to tell you is NOT named Doctor Who) would you be most interested in reading about every month?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Giant Days #1 Review

Lumberjanes #12 Review

1. Nic
    March 18, 2015 at 12:00 pm — Reply

Fourth Doctor/Tom Baker is my Doctor, so he’s my obvious choice.

However, I think it would be cool to see a Doctor Who comic in which they cycled through arcs featuring the classic Doctors.

2. TheWolverine
    March 18, 2015 at 12:08 pm — Reply

I would have to say the ninth Doctor for me because that was my first introduction to Doctor Who proper. I had heard my father talk about the show off and on, but mainly the movies with Peter Cushing . Then when the show came back with Eccleston I was able to catch the first episode and instantly became hooked. I also saw most of the tenth and half of the first eleventh series Doctors. Haven’t seen any of the twelfth yet. Sometime soon I need to catch up with what I missed. I can definitely see why it’s been around for so long.

3. Malone_hasco
    March 18, 2015 at 12:08 pm — Reply

I have no memory of seeing Doctor Who before the new series started, even I was vaguely aware of its existence, so Ninth Doctor for me.

• Alisha
      March 18, 2015 at 12:15 pm — Reply

If you ever get the time, try to watch some of the old series multi-Doctor stories. Knowing what happened in them makes the 50th anniversary special that much more humorous.

• Malone_hasco
        March 18, 2015 at 12:17 pm — Reply

Thanks for the recommendation! I will see into them.

4. Alisha
    March 18, 2015 at 12:10 pm — Reply

Honestly? All of them in an anthology style series. And by all of them, I do mean ALL of them, the current 13+ incarnations (including the War Doctor and the Meta-Crisis 10th Doctor clone), unofficial incarnations (Shalka Doctor, the Rowan Atkinson Doctor from “The Curse of Fatal Death”, the American adaptation’s HUMAN Dr. Who, etc) and possible alternate versions (The Valeyard, The Doctor’s clone daughter Jenny, possible alternate reality versions of The Doctor that have been vaguely alluded to in a few past stories, etc.).

But if I had to go with just one, I’m torn. On one hand, I’d love some more 2nd, 3rd or 6th Doctor stories, particularly having them face off against races that may not have been introduced during their respective runs of the TV series. On the other hand, despite the face he has more other media material than any other single incarnation, I’d still love more 8th Doctor adventures (possible comic adaptations of novels or Big Finish audio dramas would be fun, which worked well enough for some Star Wars comics that were adapted from EU novels, games and other similar media).

I also wouldn’t mind a series about the Meta-Crisis 10th Doctor’s adventures on Pete’s World. Unless BBC says they have plans for the setting, it would be a great opportunity for the creative team to really go nuts since it is set in another timeline from the main series and they don’t have to worry how it might fit in with established Doctor Who history. In a way, he’s still technically The Doctor, just also part human as well, and it would be interesting to see how he’s grown into an individual separate from The Doctor.

5. Rob
    March 18, 2015 at 2:36 pm — Reply

I’m going to go against common wisdom and say Sylvester McCoy’s 7th like Colin Baker’s 6th doctor I don’t think we ever saw the best from his doctor and I’d like to see some stories that strike the balance between clownish and sinister that the charecter was moving towards when the series ended.

• Alisha
      March 18, 2015 at 3:17 pm — Reply

That is another reason I would prefer an anthology style series. A few Doctors had such short runs that I feel there are many, many stories still waiting to be told with those incarnations. And we know that the 7th had a decent run since his appearance in the FOX movie was aged considerably from his last TV appearance (and not just because the actor was older, either). So many untold adventures there!

• Kirby
      March 18, 2015 at 5:37 pm — Reply

7th Doctor is my favorite, and would be my first pick for a Doctor Who comic. I would love to see him really playing the chessmaster, doing things in issue one that don’t payoff until issue twelve.

6. Mauther
    March 18, 2015 at 11:28 pm — Reply

So many great options listed above, especially McCoy. But I’m going to vote for McGann’s 8th Doctor. You can just go ahead and illustrate the Big Finish books. Some of them are just begging to be illustrated, especially “Horror of Glam Rock.”