Contrary to what we both like to contend on the MSP and social media, Major Spoilers EIC Stephen and your humble MS-QOTD actually agree on many subjects, personally and professionally. Still, during last nights recording sessions, we bumped into a real bone of contention: The actual relative quality of the works of Sid and Marty Krofft. While I am admittedly guilty of rose-colored nostalgia glasses, I still find the Saturday morning disposable television of our youth to be entertaining, and the likes of the Kroffts and Filmation animation studios are impressive to me in variety as well in terms of sheer quantity of product created. The animated ‘Star Trek’ is a clear high-point, but shows like ‘Land Of The Lost’ and ‘Jason Of Star Command’ still work as narratives, and the average goofy episode of ‘The Brady Kids’ is no more or less junk than ‘Jake And The Neverland Pirates’, which leads us to today’s rotoscoped query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) would also recommend that haters watch such shows with an actual kid, as mine is fascinated by the mythology of ‘Land Of The Lost’, asking: What’s your most-beloved Saturday Morning (or, for younger folk, kid’s channel) program in pop-culture history?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Raqiya: The New Book of Revelation Volume 5 Review

[Fan Film] Grayson: Earth One Episode 1.5

1. March 4, 2015 at 11:44 am — Reply

They put Simpsons in that Saturday morning spot here, so I gotta pick that one. I wasn’t actually that young kid anymore by then but I remember it better than all the older ones that were geared towards young kids like Ducktales and other Disney stuff.

• Alisha
      March 4, 2015 at 11:54 am — Reply

For a year or so after FOX stopped airing their saturday morning kids programs a few years back, the local FOX station moved Simpsons into that slot on top of airing episodes weekday evenings during syndication hours (usually repeating the episodes played during the previous week). My friend’s kids and I would switch between it and the other stations between shows we/they liked.

2. Alisha
    March 4, 2015 at 11:49 am — Reply

The 90’s FOX “X-Men” and “Spider-Man” cartoons as well as the various entries of the DCAU definitely all tie for top for me. The DCAU offerings definitely held up better (even the early episodes of B:TAS don’t look too bad by current standards), but the animated X-Men is still my favorite overall incarnation of X-Men (with X-Men: Evolution coming in second) and Spider-Man is my second favorite animated version of Spidey (first is the more recent Ultimate Spider-Man, third is the classic Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends).

But there are a number of series I liked or still like that were either Saturday Morning series (or at least often aired in that timeframe). Super Friends, TMNT (almost all animated versions except for the new Nickelodeon series were all aired on Saturday mornings), Digimon (while often airing in after-school hours, they had an new episode or two on FOX Kids saturday mornings up until it switched to a syndicated series for season 4, briefly returning to Saturday mornings when season 1 of Digimon Fusion aired near the demise of CW’s Saturday morning kids programs), Power Rangers (seemed to jump around between before/after school and Saturday mornings until it was acquired by Disney and became part of ABC’s saturday morning lineup until Saban bought it back) and many more.

Honorable mention goes to both TV series incarnations of “Land of the Lost”, which were my younger brother’s favorite series alongside Power Rangers and Batman: The Animated Series.

3. Kirby
    March 4, 2015 at 5:06 pm — Reply

That’s tough, was Animaniacs stripped, and then only on Saturdays on the KIDS WB or was it always a week day show? Because if so, that having just rewatched the entire series.

If not that then I definitely remember some DCAU shows being on, and the Ninja Turtles.

• Alisha
      March 5, 2015 at 9:53 am — Reply

The way I remember it was Animaniacs was originally a weekday series on FOX Kids before eventually moving to WB Saturday morning after that network formed. But I think it counts since it did spend time as a Saturday morning series.

4. TheWolverine
    March 4, 2015 at 5:36 pm — Reply

Looney tunes, Batman TAS, 90’s Spider-Man & X-Men, Garfield, Animaniacs, and for a few years when I quite small we had cable( back in ancient times when it was 15 a month) I would watch USA cartoons with Quick Draw McGraw, Huckleberry Hound & other classics from Hanna Barbera. Oh such memories.