People sometimes ask me why I pay the money to have cable, including one of the premium packages, every single month.  Answer: Last night, I bumped into a late-night showing of ‘The Kentucky Fried Movie’, a treasured bit of cinema from my youth, featuring some really stellar humor from the Zucker/Abrams/Zucker team.  Though it’s an anthology flick, the spine of the whole schmageggi is ‘A Fistful Of Yen’ a loving-but-goofy parody of Kung-Fu movies in general, and ‘Enter The Dragon’ in particular, featuring nice pacing and some truly funny moments in the ZAZ tradition.  (These are the guys who did ‘Airplane!’ and ‘Top Secret!’, before breaking up to give us the Naked Gun movies and parts of the Scary Movie franchise.)  Whereas today’s parody movies seem content to mimic a scene and let us fill in the blanks with “I KNOW THAT REFERENCE!”, KFM is genuinely funny on a wide variety of genres, and without it, we might not have gotten ‘Animal House’, ‘This Is Spinal Tap’, or Deadpool, which leads us to today’s Amazon-Women-On-The-Query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) also thinks that any movie that launched the career of John Landis should be lauded far and wide, asking: What’s the funniest, most skillful, all-around BEST parody movie/show/comic/blah blah blah in pop culture history?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Critical Hit #289: Welcome to Modern City

D4VE #1 (of 5) Review

1. Mauther
    February 28, 2015 at 11:53 am — Reply

My heart will always belong to the Mel Brook’s masterpiece Blazing Saddles. It is the perfect parody of a classic Western, and manages to tell it’s own story without being a direct rip off of an existing story. Also (and this is important for a good parody) it has fun with the source material without belittling the source material.

However, I think the form was perfected by Edgar Wright, and I think Hot Fuzz is the pinnacle. It’s a flawless spoof of the buddy cop film, while still being a wonderfully enjoyable buddy cop film in it’s won right.

Okay, it’s up to someone else to nominate Galaxy Quest. I cheated, but it was for the greater good.

2. Kirby
    February 28, 2015 at 12:31 pm — Reply

Hot Fuzz is a well done parody, by not being just a rip-off, and not going “look at this, this is stupid.” It shows a genuine love for what it is parody, and bares/requires multiple viewings. Plus it has one of the most believable romances ever put on the silver screen. It also avoids the Community problem of having the send-up getting in the way of the story.

Young Frankenstein & Blazing Saddles get pretty much a tie for the same reasons Mauther said above.

• Ram_evilspaceknight
      March 1, 2015 at 5:01 am — Reply

I agree that the one thing that is vital for a genre parody to work is a love of the source material. Otherwise it can come across as hollow.

3. chillidawg72
    February 28, 2015 at 12:31 pm — Reply

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Kentucky Fried Movie. A close second would be Amazon Women on the Moon. You youngsters check them out. Ya might learn somthin’

4. February 28, 2015 at 2:49 pm — Reply

I have a special place in my heart for Spaceballs and Robin Hood, men in tights. I like this type of Mel Brook’s spoof! It’s not the best or anything but I laugh and that’s the most important!

• TheWolverine
      February 28, 2015 at 2:51 pm — Reply

Very true.

5. Alisha
    February 28, 2015 at 3:07 pm — Reply

I’m a bit torn on this because there are some great parodies out there.

“Spaceballs”, “Airplane”, “The Princess Bride”, “Galaxy Quest” and “Shaun of the Dead” are among my favorite parody movies. Some are direct parodies while some are more broad genre parodies, but I love them all.

“Robot Chicken” and “Futurama” are some of my favorite parody TV series (Futurama being one of my favorite TV series of all time). I also am really fond of “Excel Saga”, an anime that not only parodies a lot of anime stereotypes and tropes, but each episode is also a parody of a specific theme, genre or trope from various forms of media. And while not one of my all-time favorites, I have to give an honorable mention to Akibaranger for being an amusing parody of Super Sentai.

For something that doesn’t quite fall in either movie or TV series, I absolutely love the “Family Guy Star Wars” special, the “Robot Chicken Star Wars Specials” and the “Robot Chicken DC Comics” specials. While the Family Guy specials were cut into episodes of the series and a lot of the Robot Chicken skits in the specials came from normal episodes, they are a slightly different experience when watching them as specials (usually a bit of footage not seen on the episode versions).

Weird Al is my favorite parody musician, as well as one of my favorite musicians period.

As for comics, I have to say Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (since it did technically originate as a parody) and The Tick.

And, of course, The Onion. How could anyone NOT like The Onion?

I love all of these and certainly couldn’t pick one above the other since they are all in such varied categories and are various degrees of parody.

6. Brent
    February 28, 2015 at 7:43 pm — Reply

I’ll say one, thought it’s not my favorite, I love it and no ones mentioned it yet: Kung Pow! Enter the Fist
    I loved that movie in high school. One of those with quotes that have stayed with me and my friends over the years.
    We trained him wrong, on purpose, as a joke. He thinks losing is winning!”
    “Taco Bell, Taco Bell, product placement with Taco Bell.”
    “Na na na na na na-neo! Na na na na na na-sporin!”