I admit it: I’m a child of the 1980s.  I vividly remember the hype and hullaballoo surrounding ‘The Dark Knight Returns’, and was wildly excited to finally get my hands on a copy of the collected ‘Watchmen.’  I was excited about Batman in a way I haven’t been very often, and even though neither series ends particularly well, I thought they were appropriately transformative that their dystopian approaches work.  For all my complaints about the new version of Battlestar Galactica, it was orders of magnitude more popular than the feathered-hair-ancient-astronauts of my youth, and even the darker Volume 4 Legion of Super-Heroes has things going for it.  (None of them are the plotting, but that’s splitting hairs.)  In short, sometimes, dark and gritty works, depending on the execution (no pun intended), which leads us to today’s post-apocalyptic query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) is sometimes willing to try something new, even if I don’t think I’ll like it, because otherwise what’s the point, asking: What property, movie comic or what-have-you would you MOST want to see return as a grimdark post-apocalyptic gritty reboot murderfest?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Lumberjanes #11 Review

Agent Carter Finale "Valediction" Review

1. Doctor Dinosaur
    February 26, 2015 at 11:46 am — Reply
    • Frederick, aka Darth Macho
      February 26, 2015 at 4:11 pm — Reply

That’s so awesome. (I’m such a mark!)

2. Mark
    February 26, 2015 at 12:17 pm — Reply

Care Bears vs My Little Pony. Those are about the two least grimdark properties I can think of.

3. February 26, 2015 at 12:36 pm — Reply

I would line up to watch a He-Man reboot that mixes in some of the original “Conan the Barbarian” sensibilities.

• February 26, 2015 at 12:50 pm — Reply

There arent many but this I could actually want.

• Mike
      February 26, 2015 at 1:02 pm — Reply

Took the words out of my mouth! Skeletor would be a great villain if taken seriously.

• TheWolverine
      February 26, 2015 at 1:31 pm — Reply

You know, that just might work. “I HAVE THE POWER!!!” “CRUNCH” “SPLASH” “SNAP” .

• Frederick, aka Darth Macho
      February 26, 2015 at 4:08 pm — Reply

I like this idea!!!

4. Alisha
    February 26, 2015 at 1:50 pm — Reply

Dr. Who. No, I don’t mean the BBC “Doctor Who” series about the Time Lord, I mean the old American remake movies (like “Dr. Who and the Daleks”) where the actor who played Grand Moff Tarkin in Star Wars was a very eccentric, very HUMAN inventor called Dr. Who that had invented a time machine that looks like a Police Box.

And I always imagined Barney the Dinosaur had his dark side. I always figured those new kids came along because he ended up falling off the wagon and snacking on one of the kids every once in a while. So maybe he eventually goes full-on feral, and being a magical dinosaur, he’d be harder to bring down than Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan combined. People will tremble in fear of hearing the “I Love You” song, knowing that if they hear it their death isn’t too far behind.

• TheWolverine
      February 26, 2015 at 2:28 pm — Reply

That Barney idea is awesome. It’s like they kept the Jurassic movies hidden from him and he mistakenly watches one and says : “Oh thats how dinosaurs are. I must have been doing it wrong all this time.”

5. Tazsul
    February 26, 2015 at 2:42 pm — Reply

This one, and the last one, are difficult for me. I don’t typically authentically enjoy most grimdark reboots. I DO however love me some grimdark parody. As a Warhammer 40k fan I love what is possibly the grim darkest, but there is just something inauthentic about a serious grimdark reboot.
    That said every MLP+WH40K mash up makes me smile. But then MLP:FiM mashes well with just about anything.

6. Ian
    February 26, 2015 at 9:34 pm — Reply

Gummi Bears

7. Ron
    February 26, 2015 at 10:32 pm — Reply

Bazooka Joe: “Get it or get hit!” ;)