Here at Major Spoilers, we pride ourselves on bringing a full-service experience, from toys to film to RPGs to video games and anywhere in-between, but for me, it all rolls back to comics.  With so many films and TV shows based on comics floating about, our shared hobby is expanding by the day, and right now (no matter when you’re reading this, hello future people) someone, somewhere is encountering four-color madness for the very first time.  Will it be a brand-new Deadpool?  A forty-year-old Avengers comic?  A collection of translated Sailor Moon?  With Free Comic Book Day not too far off, it’s not too crazy to assume that some young’n will look back fondly at 2015 as the year they got sucked into the pleasant vortex that is comic bookery, which leads us to today’s introductory query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) reminds sharp-eyed Spoilerites that the first comic that Major Spoilers EIC Stephen ever read and the first comic your humble MS-QOTD ever read are often referenced here on the site, asking: What was YOUR first comic book?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Amazing Spider-Man #14 Review

Frank, Sammy, Dean... and The Doctor - Doctor Who meets the Rat Pack

1. February 15, 2015 at 11:31 am — Reply

I dont really remember for sure, comics have always been around at my household. But from what I remember, my parents told me that they subscribed Finnish edition of Donald Duck (it had other Disney characters too) and read them to me when I was less than two years old.

2. Mark
    February 15, 2015 at 11:39 am — Reply

I can’t remember which, but there’s two candidates: Shogun Warriors #1 or a paperback book sized collection of the first few issues of Fantastic Four. I remember having them both from around the same time.

3. Sean
    February 15, 2015 at 11:39 am — Reply

OMG! My first comics were Shogun Warriors! What a co-inkidink!

4. Robbie
    February 15, 2015 at 11:41 am — Reply

It was a Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew! from a spinner rack and a box-in Green Lantern comic from a cereal box on the same grocery store trip :)

5. Alisha
    February 15, 2015 at 12:08 pm — Reply

I’m not entirely sure what my actual very first comic was. My older brother, grandpa (Mom’s dad), two uncles, an aunt and several cousins (all Dad’s side) were all comic fans to varying degrees before I was born, and that only includes those that purchased them regularly or collected them (several other relatives often bought an occasional Archie or Richie Rich or something like that just because). Because of this, I had a massive wealth of old comics to keep my occupied in my youth and even learned to read because of comics. One of the reasons Green Lantern is my favorite superhero is because my brother used to read the comics to me and explained how his power ring worked, which seemed so awesome to a little girl going through treatments for Leukemia.

But one of the first comics I remember actually getting on my own was something with Spider-Ham. My brother was in the comic shop for his usual visits to pick up new issues and browse the back issue bargin boxes, and I saw a comic with Spider-Ham and started giggling. I asked if I could buy it, but my brother said no. I didn’t fuss or anything, but the owner came over and smiled and said “Just take it”, then grabbed a bunch of kid friendly comics out of the bargain boxes and let me have those too.

6. February 15, 2015 at 12:25 pm — Reply

Three answers to this one:
    1) First I encountered – impossible to say. My dad had a small collection, mostly Tarzan, and various family friends tossed books into our household for my enjoyment. It’s a four-color blur.
    2) First on I remember reading through, Justice League of America #5, “When Gravity Went WIld!” My grandmother had a tattered copy for some reason. I loved that book.
    3) First one I bought with my own coins, Superboy (and the Legion of Super-Heroes but not officially yet) #198, “The Fatal Five Who Twisted Time.”
    Between 2 & 3, my lifelong love of team books, characters other than the big guns (go Martian Manhunter!) and all things Legion was imprinted before I was seven.

7. Ingrid
    February 15, 2015 at 12:34 pm — Reply

This is a tough one- it was so long ago! I think it was probably one of my cousin’s Mighty Mouse comics.

8. Ram_evilspaceknight
    February 15, 2015 at 1:02 pm — Reply

Transformers comic my mum bought for me because I liked the show.
    The bad guys won.
    Mind blown.

9. Ian
    February 15, 2015 at 1:08 pm — Reply

My fist superhero comic was The Mighty World of Marvel in 1973. A UK reprint that mirrored our style of comic of the time, having several titles in one, like The Valiant which primarily featured WW2 heroes like Captain Hurricane. I really liked getting 3 sets of stories in one comic. I still regret the day when I considered I was too old for such things, and simply binned them all…….what a fool…now I pay good money for reprints of those stories!

10. TheWolverine
    February 15, 2015 at 2:26 pm — Reply

Pretty sure it was an Archie Digest. After that I remember a lot of Disney and Sonic comics with classic Spider-Man & Superman. Then came the good one, my first introduction to Deadpool with #11 from 1997. From then on it was a landslide of both Marvel & DC with some Image thrown in for good measure. Plus the wonders of the local library with their collections of graphic novels & and trades. Ah…. good times. Now I’ve got Bob Hope’s “Thanks for the memories” playing in my head.

Also, before I read Deadpool, I remember a short story about someone killing the marvel characters. It was all black & white and had a more cartoon-ish look to the art. I wish I could find that again.

• Alisha
      February 15, 2015 at 3:37 pm — Reply

Was it something like “Fred Hembeck Destroys the Marvel Universe”? Although that wasn’t all B&W that I recall, but otherwise it sounds quite similar (more of a cartoony or MAD magazine style artwork).

• TheWolverine
        February 15, 2015 at 9:13 pm — Reply

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZpgnYhzdkI&w=420&h=315%5D

Thanks Alisha. That was exactly the one I was trying to remember. That brought back a bunch of memories of Sergio Aragones as well. It’s strange tho that I remember the inside as black & white. Maybe it was just a reprint in another book. Thanks again.

11. Kirby
    February 15, 2015 at 2:39 pm — Reply

Simpsons Comics 47, a good fun issue as we try to find out who donated an organ to a 40+ year old Bart.