Last week, the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) committee published their much-anticipated 2015 Great Graphic Novels for Teens list. Not surprisingly, given the tremendous success of Dark Horse’s 2014 publishing line, the publisher landed five titles on this year’s list, with one making it into the top ten—47 Ronin!
This year’s Dark Horse selections are as follows:
- 47 Ronin. By Mike Richardson. Illus. by Stan Sakai. $19.99 (978159582954). The Japanese legend of the 47 Ronin and their epic mission to avenge their wronged master.
- Sally Heathcote, Suffragette. By Mary Talbot. Illus. by Kate Charlesworth. $19.99 (9781616555474). Sally Heathcote is drawn into the politics of the women’s suffrage movement in early 1900s England.
- The Fifth Beatle: The Brian Epstein Story By Vivek Tiwary. 2013, illus by Andrew C Robinson. M Press, $19.99, (9781616552565). Worldwide phenomenon The Beatles hit the big time with the help of an extraordinary and secretive manager.
- Baltimore Vol. 3: A Passing Stranger and Other Stories. By Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden. 2013, illus. by Ben Stenbeck. $24.99 (9781616551827). Lord Henry Baltimore battles monsters in his search for the vampire that killed his family.
- Breath of Bones: A Tale of the Golem. By Steve Niles. Illus. by Dave Wachter. $14.99 (9781616553449). A Jewish village brings to life a giant monster to defend themselves against the Nazis.
“The libraries have always been an important market for Dark Horse books, so it is especially gratifying when our titles are selected for YALSA’s Great Graphic Novels for Teens list,” said Dark Horse’s VP of book trade sales, Michael Martens. “This is a real achievement because we know the selection is based on the merits of the books, as perceived by the committee members who actually read them and feel they will circulate well. Having one in the top ten is the icing on the cake.”
Dark Horse congratulates the editors, writers, and artists who worked on each of the above titles and thanks the Young Adult Library Services Association for recognizing these works.