While sleeping off a pretty radical cold the past thirty-odd hours, I’ve had some weird fever dreams. In one, I was Ted Mosby, lying in a massive snowbank and lamenting the loss of Victoria while freezing my butt off, proving that even my dreams are weirdly meta, but the most impressive of all involved the assembly of an all-star animal superhero Justice League, featuring Mighty Mouse, Hong Kong Phooey, Darkwing Duck and more, fighting to save their universes against the Anti-Minotaur. It was pretty damn epic, to be honest, and it got me thinking about the lost “funny animal hero” genre of comics, which leads us to today’s query-the-walks-like-a-man…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) still wants an ongoing ‘Captain Carrot & The Zoo Crew’ series set in modern Multiversity continuity, asking: If your very life hung in the balance and ONLY an anthropomorphic animal hero could save you, which hero would you choose?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Cthulhu Kickstarter Unboxing Double Feature - The Want List #3.22

Behind the Scenes: Scarlett Couture photo cover

1. Abby F.
    January 30, 2015 at 11:28 am — Reply

Darkwing Duck, for sure!

• Rob
      January 30, 2015 at 4:04 pm — Reply

Can’t helpbut feel that Gizmo Duck deserves more recognition.

2. January 30, 2015 at 11:42 am — Reply

Ace the Bat-hound. He was great on the Krypto animated series. Wish they’d make more of those!

3. Alisha
    January 30, 2015 at 12:06 pm — Reply

This is actually a hard question for me to answer. You guys may have noticed that my favorite Green Lantern happens to be a dog-man alien (G’nort), and I love the various incarnations of TMNT and all the mutant anthro animals that exist within them, and that is just the tip of the iceberg.

So for existing pop culture characters, I’m really torn between G’nort, Darkwing Duck, Master Splinter and Miyamoto Usagi (who is sometimes erroneously referred to as Usagi Yojimbo).

However, if I had the ability to reach across the barrier of time and space and pick ANY anthro hero, I’d have to go with one of my own creations from my multiverse. Ali’Xha (dragon woman), Alixila the Skvader (winged bunny tribal warrior girl) or Ilanwod the Mystic (mostly cat-like chimera girl).

• Alisha
      January 30, 2015 at 12:06 pm — Reply

And just as I submitted this, I remembered another pop culture character I’d likely call on. Doggie Kruger from Dekaranger.

4. Ingrid
    January 30, 2015 at 12:21 pm — Reply

“Speed of lightning, roar of thunder; fighting all who rob or plunder”
    Underdog!
    I’ve just always loved Underdog. I have no idea why. He’s my hero!

5. Don
    January 30, 2015 at 12:46 pm — Reply

I have to go with Krypto, only because there was an issue of Action Comics a few Halloweens ago with him in that made my eyes sweat pretty hard. Great issue.

• February 1, 2015 at 3:58 am — Reply

You and me both. Perhaps my favorite New 52 issue.

6. TheWolverine
    January 30, 2015 at 2:16 pm — Reply

Mighty Mouse.

That is all.

7. Malone_hasco
    January 30, 2015 at 3:08 pm — Reply

I dont remember Krypto ever failing to do what his job was, so I’ll go with him, confident that Im in good paws.

8. Kirby
    January 30, 2015 at 3:56 pm — Reply

As much as I love Darkwing Duck, I feel Captain Carrot is the more competent hero to save me.

• Robbie
      January 30, 2015 at 10:36 pm — Reply

^^^^^^^ This wins the Internets.

9. January 30, 2015 at 10:13 pm — Reply

Honestly I’d have to go with the Mighty Ducks team from the Disney cartoon, because one of their primary weapons (fear surpise….wait wrong show) are explosive hockey pucks.

Small disc that packs the punch of several pounds of C4! Where can you possibly go wrong with that?!