In these days of iTunes, Netflix, digital download and instant gratification, it’s much easier to be a fan of the pop culture we all love.  Where Stephen and I prowled creepy bookstores and moldy storage spaces for comic books in the 80s, today’s readers have hardcover collections even of characters nobody expected, even obscurities like Magicman and Howard The Duck, and even the promise of DVD copies of Supaidāman, one of Marvel’s lost heroes.  Most of the things we DON’T have are due to issues rights, such as the inability of Marvel to reprint ROM, Spaceknight or the payment issues that delayed a collection of Batman ’66 for nearly half a century.  I’m still frustrated at my inability to find an English-language copy of the ‘Choujin Sentai Jetman’ manga continuation, featuring the comic-only Sentai hero, Green Eagle.  I’m still looking, but it remains a hole in my collection and knowledge of Super Sentai, which leads us to today’s lacunaic query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) imagines that Doctor Who fans might have a thing or two to say today, asking: What missing episodes, issues, installments or films do you most wish you could experience *right now*?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

3D Printed Game Pawns

Declan Shalvey provides variant cover for MPH series finale

1. January 23, 2015 at 11:34 am — Reply

Yes Doctor Who features large…Tenth Planet final episode with the regeneration of Hartnell to Troughton and The Power of the Daleks which I have heard the audio of but the video is lost. However an unadulterated versions of WKRP in Cincinnati without music substitution would also not go amiss.

2. Chris
    January 23, 2015 at 12:07 pm — Reply

The Robots In Disguise cartoon, or Generation 2, as it can be called. The one piece of Transformersness I haven’t seen and don’t think it will ever be released in the US.

• Alisha
      January 23, 2015 at 1:23 pm — Reply

Are you talking about this one?
      Because it was released in the US in 2001. It is my least favorite entry in the TF multiverse (it is almost sad that I liked Beast Machines and KISS Players more than this series).

The only other Generation 2 series that I know of from either Japan or US was the remastered G1 episodes that aired in the early mid 90’s when the G2 toyline came out.

Personally, I want to see some of the Japanese exclusive Beast Wars spinoffs (Beast Wars II and Beast Wars Neo). I have some of the toys, but have only seen a select few episodes with fan subtitles.

3. drago
    January 23, 2015 at 1:30 pm — Reply

There were some anime films in the 90’s (I think they were laser discs) that had a different english translation than we have now. Vampire Hunter D in particular was so great w/its initial translation (they toned it down later).

I do wish I could binge watch all of Tom Baker and relive my days as a kid in the Doctor Who Fanclub of America glued to PBS on Saturday morning.

Would love to see the original, untouched Star Wars and Empire on screen again (I know you can get scrubbed versions online but it’s not the same imo).

4. Alisha
    January 23, 2015 at 1:33 pm — Reply

“I’m still frustrated at my inability to find an English-language copy of the ‘Choujin Sentai Jetman’ manga continuation, featuring the comic-only Sentai hero, Green Eagle.”

I’m really, really hoping that if the Zyuranger english DVD sales do well when it comes out next month that they might release pre-Zyu series on DVD, and I’m hoping that if they do Jetman there will be like a collectors edition containing some of the manga somehow (either as a select few chapters in a book or even an e-book download).

There are a few Japanese exclusive Transformers series I’d love to see get either an English release or at least an official English subtitle release.
    \
    Plenty of missing Doctor Who episodes (although I’m still hoping someone at BBC will wise up and have some of them animated and use the audio they have available so they can be released until if or when the actual episodes are ever found).

And my favorite episode of “Hercules: The Legendary Journeys”. It isn’t exactly “missing”, but the episode “Yes, Virginia, there is a Hercules” (a present day episode where it is revealed that Kevin Sorbo is actually Hercules pretending to be an actor named Kevin Sorbo who plays Hercules) is oddly missing from Netflix.

5. Doctor Dinosaur
    January 24, 2015 at 7:56 am — Reply

Shoot me now, but I’d like to finish Miller and Lee’s All-Star Batman And Robin.

6. Oldcomicfan
    January 24, 2015 at 10:57 am — Reply

I agree with doctor dinosaur… I’d like to see the rest of All-Star Batman and Robin. Perhaps it wasn’t the best take on the characters, but it was interesting and controversial. Sadly, though Jim Lee claims the project isn’t entirely dead, the fact that years have gone by without another issue, I’d say it was about as dead as they come. Second on my list is Starstuck by Elaine Lee and Michael Kaluta. I bought the original issues back in the day, and none of the reprints since every covered the entire original run. I know they had a successful kickstarter campaign to produce the next volume – but it’s been several years now with no comic and no progress updates. There was one manga I really liked called “Raiika” put out by an obscure publisher back at the height of the indie comic book – they put out five or six issues and they were really had to find. I literally had to haunt every single comic book store in the state to hill the holes in my collection. But, before the story came to an end, the publisher quit printing the book. Unlike Eclipes or Pacific, they didn’t go out of business. In the years since they have twice reprinted the issues I already had as trade paperbacks – but they never finished the series! Lastly comes Appleseed. Shirow had another volume in preparation – but the great Kobi earthquake destroyed his studio and the artwork. He produced a few Appleseed Databooks using the portions that remained and some other stuff, but he’s since moved on to doing little more than sexy pinups and never finished the comic series.