Don’t call it a reboot, don’t call it the end of the Marvel Universe – It’s the best of both as Marvel announces the all-new all-different Marvel for 2015.
Here’s what came out of the big announcement from Marvel this afternoon during the Secret War event in New York City.
- Marvel 616 and The Ultimate Universe will combine during the Secret War event
- The end result will be known as Battleworld floating in a void of nothing
“The Ultimate Universe, the Marvel Universe, they’re going to slap together,” said Alex Alonso, Marvel Editor-in-Chief. “Imagine two pizzas: They’re going to combine toppings, some toppings are going to drop off. And that is the Marvel Universe moving forward. It’s more than the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe, it’s all the universes you can imagine. That is the Marvel Universe going forward.”
- A lot of this will happen in the Avengers storyline, with the final issues of Avengers and New Avengers building up to the “incursion”, but you’ll have to pick up Secret War #1 to see it all play out.
- A Free Comic Book Day Secret War issue will serve as the primer for what is to come.
- Marvel is quick to point out that the two universes are done as you know them, but they aren’t calling it an end of the Marvel U.
I’ll put money that this is going to be similar to the events of DC Comics’ Nu52 initiative, that will allow Marvel to pick and chose what they want to keep and what they want to ditch.
- Miles Morales? Keeping him!
- Peter and Mary Jane back together again? Maybe.
- A lot more Avengers? Movie on the way!
- More Inhumans and fewer mutants? Looking that way.
- A crap ton of new number one issues to flood your longbox? You know it.
Time to let your speculation flag fly and use the comment section below to share your thoughts, reactions, outrage and praise for the big change that is ahead for Marvel.