Diamond Comic Distributors proudly announces the winners of the 2014 Diamond Gem Awards, selected by comic book specialty retailers and recognized within the comic book industry as the pinnacle of sales achievement for comic book artists, writers, publishers, and industry executives who work in one of America’s most unique art forms.
Image Comics was voted by retailers as Comic Book Publisher of the Year (Over 4% Market Share) in 2014. Image also took home the Gem Award for Best New Comic Book Series for Outcast by Kirkman and Azaceta.
DC Entertainment took home the most Gem Awards—seven—including Backlist Publisher of the Year and Best Original Graphic Novel of the Year for Batman: Earth One, among others. Marvel Comics earned six Gem Awards including Top Dollar Comic (Amazing Spider-Man #1) and Comic Book of the Year (Under $3.00) (Ms. Marvel #1), among others. Dark Horse was recognized with three Gems, including 2014’s Licensed Comic of the Year Serenity: Leaves on the Wind and Best Anthology, Dark Horse Presents. IDW Publishing took top honors for Best All Ages Series for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
Gem Awards were also presented to BOOM! Studios (Comic Book Publisher of the Year, Under 4% Market Share); :01 First Second Books for Andre the Giant: Life & Legend GN (Best Indie Graphic Novel of the Year); VIZ Media for Manga Publisher of the Year, and many others.
“We established the Gem Awards to give retailers an opportunity to recognize the suppliers, titles, and products that have been instrumental in helping their businesses grow over the past year,” said Diamond President & CEO Steve Geppi. “Our suppliers work diligently to support retailers and the entire industry with top-quality titles and products, and we thank all of the retailers who took time from their busy schedules to vote and acknowledge those efforts.”
Nominees for the Diamond Gem Awards were chosen by a panel of Diamond product specialists based on their overall impact on the industry, while comics and related merchandise were chosen on the merits of their sales performance and quality from 2014. Winners were then selected by members of the most critical segment that serves the comic book-buying public — comic book specialty retailers across the United States and worldwide.
2014 Diamond Gem Award Suppliers of the Year
- 2014 Comic Book Publisher of the Year Over 4%: Image Comics
- 2014 Comic Book Publisher of the year Under 4%: BOOM! Studios
- 2014 Backlist Publisher of the year: DC Entertainment
- 2014 Top Dollar Comic Book Publisher of the Year: Marvel Comics
- 2014 Manga Publisher of the Year: Viz Media
- 2014 Game Manufacturer of the Year: Wizards of the Coast
- 2014 Toy Manufacturer of the Year: Funko
- 2014 Diamond Gem Award Products of the Year
- 2014 Comic Book of the Year Under $3.00: Ms. Marvel #1, Marvel Comics
- 2014 Comic Book of the Year Over $3.00: Thor #1, Marvel Comics
- 2014 Best New Comic Book Series: Outcast by Kirkman and Azaceta, Image Comics
- 2014 Top Dollar Comic of the Year: Amazing Spider-Man #1, Marvel Comics
- 2014 Best All-Ages Comics: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, IDW Publishing
- 2014 Licensed Comic Book of the Year: Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #1, Dark Horse Comics
- 2014 Licensed TP/HC of the Year: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Vol. 1 TP, IDW Publishing
- 2014 Original GN of the Year: Batman: Earth One TP, DC Comics from DC Entertainment
- 2014 Reprint TP/HC of the Year: Batman: Death of the Family Book & Joker Mask Set, DC Comics
- 2014 Indie GN of the Year: Andre the Giant: Life & Legend GN :01 First Second Books
- 2014 Manga TP of the Year: Attack on Titan: Before the Fall GN Vol. 01, Kodansha Comics
- 2014 Anthology of the Year: Dark Horse Presents 2014 #1, Dark Horse Comics
- 2014 Magazine of the Year: MAD Magazine from DC Entertainment
- 2014 Trade Book of the Year: The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide Vol. 44, Gemstone Publishing
- 2014 Best Free Comic Book Day Book: FCBD 2014 Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel Comics
- 2014 Game Product of the Year: Marvel Dice Masters: Uncanny X-Men Starter Set , WizKids/NECA
- 2014 Toy Product of the Year: DC Comics Super Villains Harley Quinn AF, DC Collectibles from DC Entertainment 2
- 014 Toy Line of the Year: Batman Animated, DC Collectibles from DC Entertainment
- 2014 Collectable Statue of the Year: Batman Black & White: Harley Quinn 2nd Ed. Statue, DC Collectibles from DC Entertainment
ABOUT DIAMOND COMIC DISTRIBUTORS (DCD)—Diamond is at the nexus of comics and pop culture. Based in Baltimore, MD, DCD is the world’s largest distributor of English-language comic books, graphic novels, and related pop-culture merchandise, serving thousands of retailers worldwide. For more information, visit Diamond on the web at www.diamondcomics.com.