This weekend, I finally got the chance to sit down and watch ‘Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues’, a movie which proved that knowing your audience, telegraphing your jokes and refusing to let even a semblance of reality enter your story are by no means fatal flaws.  It was a funny movie, filled with cameos that made me smile and moments of utter stupidity that were somehow still endearing.  When it comes to sequels, you could do much worse.  Remember when Tony Manero made it to Broadway in the sequel to ‘Saturday Night Fever?’  No, you don’t, because nobody saw that movie, and those that did won’t admit it.  Remember when Jeff Goldblum died but Eric Stoltz somehow managed to be the son he didn’t have and carry on the curse of The Fly?  Remember when Superman fought Richard Pryor and Napoleon Solo?  When it comes right down to it, if I’m given a choice between breaking no new ground and destroying what I liked about the original?  I’ma laugh along with the Sex Panther grenade, which leads us to today’s 24-hour news query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) enjoys ‘Chamber Of Secrets’ most of all the Harry Potter films, even that one where Edward Cullen gets murdered, asking: What’s the best sequel of all?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

The Incredible Hulk Hands

Girls With Slingshots comes to an end

1. Mark
    December 29, 2014 at 11:27 am — Reply

I think Aliens was a pretty strong follow-up to its predecessor.

2. Malone_hasco
    December 29, 2014 at 11:32 am — Reply

Mega Man 2. Improved original in every way, I still play it from time to time. Perhaps my favorite NES game and very high in favorite game of all time list too.

3. Alisha
    December 29, 2014 at 12:27 pm — Reply

For films, Empire Strikes Back.

For TV series, Digimon Tamers.

For games, Digimon World 2, Monster Rancher 2 and to a loose degree (as it isn’t a normal type of sequel) EverQuest 2.

4. RAM_evilspaceknight
    December 29, 2014 at 2:30 pm — Reply

Evil Dead 3/ Army of Darkness/ The Medieval Dead / etc
    Show it to my third year class every year under the pretence of write down 5 energy changes you see in this movie. Groovy
    On another note though rare there are documented cases of some sequels being better than originals Godfather and House being mentioned a lot.
    What about the third in line though?

• Alisha
      December 29, 2014 at 2:38 pm — Reply

I was a little iffy on anything but the second in a line counted, or else I would have put Army of Darkness down first on my list. But I also count that as one of those gray area movies since it is technically a continuation of a previous movie or series, yet it takes things in a completely different direction almost like a separate entity. Don’t get me wrong, I still love the first two Evil Dead films, but it was Army of Darkness where things went from “fun movies” to “one of the best movies ever and anyone who disagrees is insane”.

5. TheWolverine
    December 29, 2014 at 4:02 pm — Reply

Spider-Man 2 from the Sam Raimi run( you know, the one before he folded to the studios & producers). As far as Superman 3 goes, I’ve always thoroughly enjoyed it. It just plain makes me laugh and comes off as the kind of absurd sequel I didn’t realize would be so much fun. Now Superman 4 is another matter entirely.

And I agree with Alisha about Army Of Darkness. I would seriously question your taste in movies if you didn’t find some enjoyment out of it.

6. Kirby
    December 29, 2014 at 5:23 pm — Reply

Gremlins 2: The New Batch.

It gives us a lot of what we love about the first film, and comments on the problems of the first film without breaking the fourth wall (Maltin cameo not included.)

• Alisha
      December 29, 2014 at 6:52 pm — Reply

And don’t forget Hulk Hogan yelling at the Gremlins for trying to ruin the actual movie reel in the theatrical version.

• Chris
        December 30, 2014 at 12:51 pm — Reply

Holy hell I thought I was the only one who saw this. No one else remembers it and I felt like imagined the whole thing. Love how he runs into the theater lobby to stop them in the projection booth. Thank you so much for confirming I’m not insane.

• Alisha
          December 30, 2014 at 1:49 pm — Reply

You aren’t alone. I was the only one of my friends and classmates to see it in theaters, so most of them only ever saw the VHS version with the different scene. It wasn’t until relatively recently when the DVD came out with the theatrical version (the VHS scene that replaced it is part of the special features, so it isn’t completely gone) that most of my friends ever saw it.

7. Oldcomicfan
    December 29, 2014 at 8:45 pm — Reply

For movies, my current favorite sequel is Star Trek: Into Darkness which improved upon Star Trek in every way. Even the way the director lied to the public through all the trailers and promos about the villain not being Khan was masterfully done. The trailers led one to believe that one was going to see an entirely different movie all done with clever editing. And the movie itself is a great romp.

For Anime, it would be Clannad: After Story – the hero and heroine of the first series graduate from school and move on with their lives… marry, produce a child, but tragedy stalks the happy couple because the heroine of the story is magically linked to the old forest surrounding their city, and as the city expands and more of the forest is cut down, her health mysteriously deteriorates – though this isn’t explained and you have to pick it up in the course of the series. The ending had me in tears. And, all throughout both series, when people in the anime are happy, strange snowflake thingies float up into the sky, which turns out to be the embodiment of wishes and dreams. By the end of this tear-jerker, the hero has stored up enough credit or karma that all this magical wishing power restores his lost family to him in a happy ending that also isn’t explained, and outdoes any Magical Ending that Stephen King ever dreamed up. The only anime that ever tugged at my heartstrings so much was Grave of the Fireflies, and this has a happier ending.

8. Chris