Through the convergence of outrageous fortune and the poor planning of my supervisor, I always have Tuesdays off from work.  This is great for podcast prep, watching our weekly offering for ‘Zach On Film’, reading comics and catching up on social media, and yesterday was no different.  Somehow, the subject turned to Chris Claremont’s work on ‘The New Mutants’ (a book which deserves less scorn for its weaknesses and more appreciation for redefining the teen hero genre), sending at least one Faithful Spoilerite back to her plan to write the definitive ‘Hellions’ fan-fiction.  While I love me some New Mutants (“Selffriend Dani thinks self speech patterns are “$&#ing annoying?”), if I were to devote my energies to resurrecting an old property, it would be the original New Warriors, including Night Thrasher’s ridiculous skateboard powers and Richie Rider in red as “Kid Nova.”  Sure, I don’t know who’d *read* such a tale, but some part of me longs to write it anyway, leading us to today’s Great American query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) would also consider a massive fifty-hero All-Star Squadron crossover explosion featuring The Spirit, Max Mercury, Commander Steel and Amazing Man in prominent roles, asking: If you were offered the chance to write a story featuring ANY of your favorite characters, who would you choose and why?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Drifter #1 Review

IDW Publishing for February 2015

1. November 19, 2014 at 11:30 am — Reply

X-Men story with real “Che Guevara” Cyclops. They kinda tried to go in that direction, but its been falling short. I see some issues in the world that could be handled in a mutant story. Im sure it would be next V for Vendetta/Watchmen (yeah, right).

2. Alisha
    November 19, 2014 at 12:24 pm — Reply

I’d love a chance to rewrite a story I wrote as part of my Doctor Who fanfic. Although my Time Lady is an original character stuck in an alternate timeline, there was a point in the story where she briefly crossed back over to the main timeline to stop an invasion. She attempted to have her TARDIS use a genetic lock to summon The Doctor for his aid, but instead it brought her Jenny (The Doctor’s clone daughter). It wouldn’t be too hard to rewrite the story without my Time Lady and have someone else attempting to get help from The Doctor in a similar manner.

I’d also love to write a Super Sentai/Power Rangers crossover. Similar to the Super Hero Taisen movies, it could be explained that they are alternate realities. Some new villain could be hopping through both time and timelines, absorbing the powers of past teams in order to have enough power to reshape reality in his image. Time and space begin to fracture and collapse, and two teams of Legends (one from Power Rangers led by Tommy Oliver, one from Super Sentai led by Sokichi Banba) have to team up to restore everything back to normal before there is nothing left.

3. J Perez
    November 19, 2014 at 12:29 pm — Reply

Probably Spider Man, just because it was what i read as a kid. Lately I’ve been toying with the idea of a “Definitely, Maybe” story with a spider cast… maybe

4. Greg
    November 19, 2014 at 12:44 pm — Reply

Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, because there just wasn’t enough of it. The artist would have to emulate the cartoon, or give me Steve Lieber. It would be a team up book, the Spider-Friends and a guest a hero, fighting one of Spidey’s villains or somebody from the guest hero’s rogue gallery. I would definitely have to do a Sinister Six story. The dialog and narration would be straight out of 1982 . This would also allow me to use the most cornball characters in Marvel’s pool.

5. Kirby
    November 19, 2014 at 4:37 pm — Reply

I’d love to write a Ralph & Sue Dibny comic, totally playing the series for all the mystery and fun it’s worth. Classic traveling town-to-town, with them solving mysteries that require a more lateral thinking then you’d find in a Batman comic.

6. Gary
    November 20, 2014 at 6:10 am — Reply

Scrooge McDuck, because he’s a great character, and I grew up with him (dad would leave them next to ou beds in the morning sometimes). Would love to do a story that spoke to that.

7. Rome
    November 20, 2014 at 12:00 pm — Reply

Excalibur. I’d want the original team of Cap. Britain, Meggan, Phoenix, Nightcrawler, & Kitty. Have it more focussed on Captain Britain as a driver of the plot. But make it really dig into the Brittish setting in a way the original never really did.