Despite my tendency to snark about big crossover events, I’m finding Dan Slott’s ‘Spider-Verse’ storyline to be a great deal of fun, combining as it does alternate version of Peter Park from all over the firmament, from the original ’66 cartoon Spidey through Peter Porker, The Spectacular Spider-Ham and even future Spider-Girl Mayday Parker.  The breakout character of the whole mess is Spider-Woman (AKA Gwen Stacy, whom I refuse to call Spider-Gwen in bootless defiance), whose costume is beautiful in its simplicity and whose character concept is pretty excellent as well.  She’s not my favorite alternate Spider-Man (that honor goes to Takuya Yamashiro, 1970s Japanese Supaida-Man, with his giant robot pal) but she’s definitely in my Top 5, which leads us to today’s amazing, spectacular query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) has always had a soft spot for Ben Reilly, even though that hoodie costume was inexcusable, asking: Which web-head (excluding 616 Universe Parker Prime) is your favorite Spider-powered character?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

The Want List #38- 10 Days of Marvel Domination

Sherlock Holmes vs. Harry Houdini #2 Review

1. Mark
    November 15, 2014 at 11:57 am — Reply

I really enjoyed that short-lived Spider-Girl series from a few years ago. It was a lotta fun.

2. Alisha
    November 15, 2014 at 12:45 pm — Reply

Same as yours, the super awesome Takuya Yamashiro. Cheesy as TOEI’s Spider-Man may seem, it was a pretty unique take on the character (AND was the father of Super Sentai mecha, so bonus points there). I’ve been hoping for YEARS that they would give the concept an update in comic form as some far-flung corner of the Marvel multiverse. Even if they do end up killing him off in the big all Spidey crossover, I still hope they might revisit the idea again sometime (there could be a very similar alternate universe somewhere).

And just to throw it out there, my top 5 (in no particular order)
    1 – Takuya Yamashiro (TOEI Spider-Man)
    2 – Peter Porker (Spider-Ham)
    3 – Mayday Parker (MC2 Spider-Girl)
    4 – Pete Ross (Spider-Boy, Amalgam of the clone Superboy and Spider-Man)
    5 – Miguel O’Hara (Spider-Man 2099)

3. chillidawg72
    November 15, 2014 at 9:32 pm — Reply

When Ezekiel Sims told Peter the story of the Spider-Men that came before him, he spoke of one in Africa who fashioned a web to climb into the sky. I wish there were stories about that Spider-man told in a parable style.

• November 15, 2014 at 11:02 pm — Reply

Now, so do I…

• Alisha
      November 16, 2014 at 10:36 am — Reply

That would be pretty awesome.

4. Rob
    November 16, 2014 at 2:05 am — Reply

I would have to say the irrepressible Mayday Parker but I am warming to the new Gwen Stacey.