Mullet Headband Rogue.  Weird Bandolier Cyclops.  Peek-A-Boo Ninja Psylocke.  Marvel’s latest batch of promotional materials teases something having to do with the X-Men’s 1992 versions, including pink-armor Gambit and big fuzzy Beast, which may or may not be related to the cartoon series.  Whatever Marvel is planning, they’ve definitely got people talking, and some are concerned about a “Shattered Image”-type tale that would permanently remove the X-Men from continuity.  For my money, though, I’d rather see intentionally retro X-Men fighting against injustice and mutant angst in the world of Eddie Vedder and Chelsea Clinton with an ongoing series permanently set in 1992.  We could have clones and half-brothers and half-brotherly clones, all the while never crossing over with the greater Marvel Universe, a perfect circle of ‘X-Tinction Agenda’ madness, with lots of headbands and gritted teeth.  I might even put such a book on my permanent pull list, especially if it means noseless feral mad Wolverine…  Or was that in the 2000s?  I can never remember, but in any case, it brings us today’s retrograde query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) actually wouldn’t mind seeing Cable at a point where he was powerful and in any way relevant, unlike the last 20-odd years or so, asking: Would you be interested in a retro-1992 version of X-Men?  If not, what property might you want to see in old-school grungified adventures?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

GALLERY: Big Hero 6 premiere

Wizard World Reports Continued Growth in Third Quarter 2014

1. November 5, 2014 at 11:30 am — Reply

If the story is good, sure. Although the 90’s had a bajillion variant covers for every issue of every comic, at least the events weren’t as frequent as they are now and were still something to look forward to.

• November 5, 2014 at 1:39 pm — Reply

Yeah, if you want one of the six covers for X-Men #1, I’ve got ’em, and you can have ’em for a quarter…

2. November 5, 2014 at 1:05 pm — Reply

I grew up on the animated X-Men, and they were my entry into the world of comics. As such, I have a tremendous nostalgia-induced blind spot for all the X-Men tropes from this era and so would be absolutely interested in a 90s X-Men ongoing, FOREVER.

3. November 5, 2014 at 2:01 pm — Reply

I don’t see how they can eliminate the X-men from their line. Wouldn’t that reduce their revenue?

The only old school version of something I would like to see is something from Star Wars. I don’t think we will get that with JJ Abrams.

• November 5, 2014 at 2:40 pm — Reply

I don’t either, frankly. But The X-Men books aren’t the juggernaut they once were…

4. November 5, 2014 at 2:01 pm — Reply

I would rather have early 80’s version of X-Men. Claremont/Byrne one. If story is good, why not ’92 as well. Oh, that Cyclops costume is one of my favorite superhero getups of all time.

5. Mark
    November 5, 2014 at 2:15 pm — Reply

retro 92 x-men

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

NO the xmen have started to grow up and onwards and this a huge backwards step.

6. Greg
    November 5, 2014 at 2:35 pm — Reply

Nope. I’m a Marvel zombie but I’ve never been a huge X-Men, especially anything X-Men from the 90’s. There is little to nothing from the Big 2 that i would want to see again from the decade. Well, maybe except the early/mid 90’s Catwoman.

If DC didn’t own Wildstorm, i wouldn’t mind seeing Wetworks or Gen 13, even with Jim lee there I can’t trust them to to do anything good with those characters. I’d be okay with Top Cow reviving Weapon Zero too.