Hallowwen is upon us at Stately Spoiilers Manor East, and Widget is prepared to unleash her cute monster costume on the populace. Unlike some kids, I participated in the annual “wander around and gather sweets” tradition until I was fifteen years old, partly because I was a fan of candy, but mostly because I was a HUGE fan of candy.  The best houses for sugary goodness in my hometown were the weird old lady who gave out full-size Snickers bars; the extremely creepy guy who invited kids into his dining room, where we found our candy on a plate, with a ghost sitting at the head of the table; and the cool old dude who gave out calaveras, little skulls made of sugar.  Of course, there were always the houses that gave out cinnamon hard candy (evil), black licorice (disgusting) and candy corn (evil AND disgusting), and these were homes that we all made sure to tell the other kids to avoid as much as possible, which leads us to today’s polyunsaturated query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) has, in my old age, lost my taste for Butterfingers, as they stick to my teeth for DAYS, asking: Which Halloween candy is the BEST in your eyes, and which is the WORST?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Critical Hit: Lords of the Feywild Exit Interview

FRIDAY NIGHT FRIGHTS: Witchfinder General

1. Darganon
    October 31, 2014 at 11:47 am — Reply

For me, Baby Ruth is the best, followed by Payday and Snickers. Worst are Smarties or Sweet Tarts…ick!

I happen to love black licorice though, so feel free to send me your share. :)

• October 31, 2014 at 12:19 pm — Reply

I like Sweet Tarts, but I agree Smarties are disgusting. I’d rather eat chalk.

• October 31, 2014 at 7:37 pm — Reply

There is no “my share” of licorice.

There is only the garbage disposal… and Zuul.

2. October 31, 2014 at 12:36 pm — Reply

I actually like some Candy Corn, but it is limited to a specific brand. The rest does taste disgusting. There are also some “not really candy corn” types, like Starburst Candy Corn, that are great (because they are only shaped like candy corn, they don’t taste like it).

Back when I was of Trick-or-Treat age, my hopes were always to get either Fruit Nips, Tootsie Pops (NOT Tootsie Rolls), A&W Root Beer Barrels (hard candy, not an actual barrel of root beer) or Snickers.

There were also a couple of houses that didn’t pass out candy, but instead passed out gift cards to a local restaurant for a free large ice cream cone, and another that gave out little party favor type items (googly eye glasses, giant superballs, halloween themed plastic jewelry and so on). I loved those so much as a kid that I always wrote them thank you cards the next day.

Now, I like Tootsie Pop Drops (tiny stickless versions of Tootsie Pops), A&W Root Beer Barrels, Twix, Starburst Jellybeans (BEST CANDY EVER!) and those Snickers Pumpkins (they are just like the Snickers Easter Eggs, just shaped like a pumpkin). Those are what I buy (along with the standards of M&Ms and Skittles) to pass out to kids so that I can have whatever is left at the end of the night.

I’ve never liked Smarties or those other chalky candies (such as “candy cigarettes” or “candy bones”). Wax lips/wax fangs and other wax “candy” are also disgusting. Black licorice is just nasty. And almost anything made with dark chocolate, I just don’t like dark chocolate.

• October 31, 2014 at 12:41 pm — Reply

Oh! And I liked (and still like) Lemonheads. They just don’t sell those tiny boxes in my area to hand out anymore, which is a shame.

3. October 31, 2014 at 12:40 pm — Reply

There are so many I love, but flavored Tootsie Rolls are the ones that immediately come to my mind. Dots are also good. For chocolate, you can’t go wrong with mini Kit Kats.

I’m from a small town, so it was still somewhat safe to eat homemade treats when I was a kid, and our neighbour (who my parents knew and trusted) made amazing popcorn balls. Melted marshmallow and popcorn… mmmm.

• November 1, 2014 at 10:03 am — Reply

There is an elderly lady in the neighborhood that still makes popcorn balls. She has store-bought candy for random trick-or-treaters, but she has homemade goodies for the kids that know her. She brought me a few this morning and jokingly scolded me for not trick-or-treating at her house.

4. Greg
    October 31, 2014 at 1:44 pm — Reply

Worst – Dots
    Best – Everything else

5. Kirby
    October 31, 2014 at 4:55 pm — Reply

Best-Snickers & Reese’s Cups
    Worst- Smart Tarts, which taste like soap

6. Ron
    November 1, 2014 at 8:30 pm — Reply

Best: Hershey’s with almonds.
    Worst: Necco Wafers.