Boo! Halloween Stories 2014 #1 Review

SNEAK PEEK: The Valiant: First Look

1. chillidawg72
    October 30, 2014 at 3:00 pm — Reply

No fair teasing us with May Parker.

2. Greg
    October 30, 2014 at 3:05 pm — Reply

Don’t toy with my emotions, my heart can’t take it.

3. October 30, 2014 at 3:57 pm — Reply

I call Spider-Verse trickery!

4. Millstopher
    October 30, 2014 at 6:12 pm — Reply

Na, it’s “too hard” to write a book where the hero has an atomic family in which he is happy. I wish it happened though.

5. ParaChomp
    October 30, 2014 at 6:44 pm — Reply

Only if he starts being treated as an adult by other characters and writers.

6. Kirby
    October 30, 2014 at 8:12 pm — Reply

I’m going to say a new What If… series.

7. Oldcomicfan
    October 31, 2014 at 9:20 pm — Reply

Now, however would DC or Marvel know that “it’s “too hard” to write a book where the hero has an atomic family in which he is happy” because they’ve never actually freaking tried it long enough to find out! The problem is that having a growing, happy family goes against the fundamental “rule” (I prefer to think of it as the fundamental problem) with superhero comics which is that at the end of the issue (or story arc) the characters have to be the same as at the start of the series. Can’t have permanent growth! Which sort of rules out 90% of the possible stories they can tell. The funny thing is that in manga, the Japanese have no problem at all telling stories where the characters fall in love, start families, grow old, die, or change on a fundamental level due to the experiences they had during their various adventures. Funny how the American comic book publishers can’t seem to wrap their puny little minds around the concept. I can imagine all sorts of stories where Peter and Mary Jane are forced to deal with raising a child while keeping his Spider identity under wraps, with, over the years, little May beginning to wonder why daddy keeps vanishing at odd times until her own spider powers begin to appear. How she might, years later, when daddy is too old, assumes the mantle of the spider herself. They could do the same thing with Batman or even Superman, if they had the guts to do it. I quit reading Spiderman after the issue where they revealed that it was the clone, Ben Riley, who had actually married Mary Jane, and not Peter. I figured then that they were looking for a way to remove Peter’s “Ball and Chain” and I didn’t care to be part of it. Nothing I’ve seen since has been able to lure me back.

8. b003
    November 4, 2014 at 10:27 pm — Reply

Shoulda never been busted up in the first place.