William Shakespeare once wrote, ‘A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.’  Of course, it might be noted that these were words from a 15-year-old lovesick child with poor impulse control, but there’s truth to be had in the sentiment anyway.  For my part, I was always a smidge jealous that my old pal Otter Disaster shared his name with Batman AND The Hulk (as well as Ashley J. Williams, if you were willing to stretch the point), whereas I only got frickin’ Waverider.

Okay, yes, also Daredevil, but still… WAVERIDER?  Worse still, my friend Tom shared his name with the greatest of all the Power Rangers half of Commander Riker AND the greatest hero of America’s Best Comics, a grave injustice if there ever was once, but also a lead-in to today’s euphonious query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) has one of the most common names in reality, which paradoxically means fewer fictional counterparts, for some reason, asking: What fictional character are you most happy to share a name with?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Sailor Moon Crystal Act 7 - Chiba Mamoru - Tuxedo Mask Review

LEGO releases official images for Technic 2015 line

1. October 10, 2014 at 12:26 pm — Reply

My real name (No, Alisha isn’t it) is pretty common, so there are a lot of fictional characters with the same name or one of it’s variations or common nicknames.

As a kid, I was excited that the little girl on the “Alien Nation” TV show, Emily Francisco, shared my first name. I wasn’t too thrilled about Emily Elizabeth, though I did like her freaky mutant dog.

I’m currently quite happy to share my name with “Emily the Strange” and Emily from “Corpse Bride”.

I also don’t mind sharing one of my nicknames with Emma Goodall, who currently tops my list of “Hottest Power Rangers” (and tied for tops with Tenaya 7 for “Hottest Power Rangers Characters”).

2. Aspiring Spambot
    October 10, 2014 at 2:00 pm — Reply

If aliases are fair game, I’d have to go with Agent X, “Alex Hayden.” Otherwise, Alex “Havok” Summers isn’t a bad one. I also enjoy that I share a name with the son of Worf from Star Trek.

From the “missed opportunity” files comes this little gem: My mother almost named me after Sean Connery, but my father vetoed the idea.

• October 10, 2014 at 2:34 pm — Reply

One of my closest friends laments he wasn’t named what his mother was going to name him. The names are actually after one of her friends and one of her relatives, but the combination for first and middle name is rather humorous: Brock Lee.

3. Kirby
    October 10, 2014 at 4:16 pm — Reply

While not fictional I got Jack Kirby. So my options are kind of limited to the video game character that I like.

4. October 10, 2014 at 8:18 pm — Reply

Many of my friends call me Malone, which comes from real life person Im supposed to kinda look like, I guess. But whats important in this case that Malone is an alias of Batman, aka. Matches Malone and thats kinda cool in weird way.

5. Hannah Jones
    October 10, 2014 at 10:09 pm — Reply

There aren’t all that many namesakes out there for me, so I’m kind of forced to go with Hannah from the book The Clockwork Three. She’s pretty cool.
    If I can use my last name, there’s allways good ole Indiana, and I can be happy with that.
    As Matthew stated, the more common the name, the fewer fictional counterparts. There are so few Hannahs(Hanni?) in fiction that I had litterally two choices to go with.

• October 11, 2014 at 1:59 pm — Reply

No lie. Everybody knows a Matthew, but the Avengers didn’t get one until 2011. Foul play, I say!

And, no. The Two-Gun Kid does not count.

6. RAM_evilspaceknight
    October 11, 2014 at 4:19 am — Reply

Benjamin Sisko evolving into (old) Ben Kenobi.