As we enter the autumn months, we also near the time of ghosts and goblins and such, in the terrifying season where we hope that the sun isn’t dying once and for all.  It’s a time of year where your humble MS-QOTD (whose dreams, it must be noted, are constant and vivid) tends to move towards dark and foreboding dreams, occasionally bordering on nightmares.  Of course, what brought this all to mind was the fact that, after a recent Dueling Review of which I wish to never speak agin, I had a truly terrifying (albeit candy-colored and a little bit cartoony) night terror.  It was so unnerving as to even wake me up, but thankfully didn’t recur when I got back to sleept, but it did lead to today’s trenchant query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) made the mistake of watching ‘Full Metal Jacket’ right before bed once, a mistake I’ll never make again, asking: Has any pop culture experience ever given you a nightmare?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Zach on Film: Forbidden Planet (1956)

Marvel Comics & Wizard World Reveal 'Death Of Wolverine: The Logan Legacy #1' Exclusive Variant Cover By Carlo Barberi For Ohio Comic Con

1. Russ Catt
    September 19, 2014 at 12:06 pm — Reply

I remember some serious nightmares from watching Aliens as a kid.

2. Derek
    September 19, 2014 at 12:17 pm — Reply

Return of the Living Dead gave me nightmares starring zombies for WEEKS! It was horrible. I also remember the Friday the 13th Part 8 trailer stoking my nightmare furnace. Both happened around the same time. It didn’t help that I went to stay at my Aunt’s camp that same summer and there was a terrible lightning storm…:/

3. September 19, 2014 at 12:20 pm — Reply

When “Return of the Jedi” was newly on video, I was going through treatment for Leukemia and was very young (about 5 or 6). First time I saw it, I had just come out of the anesthesia from surgery and was on some pretty heavy meds as well. After the movie, I had nightmares that the Ewoks were going to try to roast me for dinner (like how they were going to burn/cook Luke and the others) for quite some time. Unlike other fans, that was the source of my hatred of Ewoks (and why when Star Wars Galaxies was still around I spent quite a bit of time going on Ewok killing sprees).

I also had a really strange recurring nightmares as a kid that the puppets Lady Elaine from “Mister Rogers Neighborhood” and Madame were witches coming to steal my voice, and one where the animatronic Gorilla from “Showbiz Pizza” was going to eat me.

And I have had quite a few nightmares relating to true story movies over the years. For some odd reason, I can sleep just fine after watching a scary/gory/monster movie, but if I’m forced to watch a Lifetime movie or something about a kid being kidnapped or someone being assaulted for being a minority or something, I have nightmares that someone ends up hurting someone I care about (such as my goddaughter).

4. Starks Scraps
    September 19, 2014 at 1:42 pm — Reply

This is pretty embarrassing but Ghoulies HORRIFIED me as a child. I had nightmares for weeks and weeks. It wasn’t even the Ghoulies, it was the wizards.

5. Starks Scraps
    September 19, 2014 at 1:44 pm — Reply

Oh and the remake of Lord of the Flies bothered me in a way that few things had or ever will. I remeber being worried about having to read the book in high school due to the way that scenes from that film caused my stomach to drop out.

6. September 19, 2014 at 5:02 pm — Reply

I had nightmares about being chased by dinosaurs after seeing Jurassic Park. I still have dreams like that sometimes. What a great movie. :)

• September 19, 2014 at 5:24 pm — Reply

Funny, mine was dinosaurs being chased by me after seeing that movie. I remember telling my friend Tony about it (particularly that the Raptors were running from me as I was being kinda Elmira from “Tiny Toons” in the dream) and he was laughing so hard he could hardly breathe before he said “I can see that happening, too!”.

• TheWolverine
      September 19, 2014 at 9:46 pm — Reply

That’s really similar to what I got from it, just not exactly a nightmare but more of just a tense feeling of walking around & between them. And something about that scene where the dinosaurs tear down the banner got to me. It sounds dumb, especially considering the other parts of the movie that you’d think would get to a kid, but that was the one. And I’ve watched it several times over the years without nary a bad vibe at all. Strange.

7. Robbie
    September 19, 2014 at 11:05 pm — Reply

As a kid, the Boogeyman from The Real Ghostbusters scared me so horribly that I still can’t sleep with the closet door open.

As a adult, the way James Barber writes Overlord in the IDW Transformers books has given me harsh dreams several times….

• Robbie
      September 19, 2014 at 11:07 pm — Reply

Sorry,James Roberts…

• September 20, 2014 at 10:39 am — Reply

My RGB nightmare was the “Peoplebusters” from when they went to the ghost reality and there were a ghost version of the Ghostbusters.

Looking back, I’m a little surprised that they were the only ones to really give me any unhappy dreams considering how freaky some of the other ghosts were.

8. Hannah Jones
    September 23, 2014 at 9:36 pm — Reply

Ok so here’s a weird one. The Expendables. I recently had kind of a mini-marathon because my freind had gone to see the third installment without watching the first two. So we’re up and overly caffienated and I have to leave the room for a torture scene from the first(as per usual) and then we continue on pretty much having a good time with it.

That night I dreamt I was part of the team, which was all well and good until Jean-Claude Van Damme kidnaps my family. I think it’s probably self-explanatory from there. It just suprises me that with all the action movies I watch, the one that invaded my nightmares was Expendables 2. I mean, really?