With the return of a much-mocked Marvel character at the end of Guardians of The Galaxy, it seems as though Marvel may actually have plans to revive him in some fashion after a legendarily awful take a couple of decades ago.  It’s well past time, as far as I’m concerned, if only to get more people interested in the original source material.  Heck, for that matter, I want to see a more tone-appropriate take on the dark humor of ‘Aeon Flux’, regardless of how bad the Charlize Theron movie version blew.  (The answer, for those wondering, is “A lot.”)  Could an awesome new Catwoman film erase the stink of the Halle Berry version?  Or a take on Pluto Nash featuring Jay-Z?  How about Heaven’s Gate, only with lasers and dinosaurs?  I don’t know if they’d actually be any more popular, but sometimes, you have to give something a second chance, leading us to today’s once again query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) also wouldn’t mind seeing Terry Gilliam’s ‘The Man Who Killed Don Quixote’, but it may not count, since it was never released, asking: What box-office failure would you not mind seeing get a second chance as a big-budget movie?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Top 5 Star Trek Women

Jason Reads Comics: Death of Wolverine #2 & All Marvel Now Comics Reviewed!

1. Derek
    September 11, 2014 at 12:22 pm — Reply

I’d like to see someone do justice to the pulp characters. Green Hornet, The Shadow, The Phantom, and The Spirit could use another go. I’d be down with noirish period pieces.

• September 11, 2014 at 6:48 pm — Reply

My dream is if I ever win one of those multi-million dollar things or some rich relative I don’t know kicks it and leaves me money, I want to fund some movies like that and stay true to the roots of the stories. The problems I’ve had with most of the movies they have done with those characters is that they either made it too campy or that they shifted the focus too far from how the stories were to some other genre.

For some, you wouldn’t even need a big Hollywood budget to do it justice, just the right actors, the right locations and minimal post-production.

2. RAM_evilspaceknight
    September 11, 2014 at 1:05 pm — Reply

Dredd – not because it was awful (just the opposite). It simply deserved to do better if only for recognising that the source material didn’t need ‘updating’ for the big screen by a committee of execs that never read the comic.

• Kirby
      September 11, 2014 at 8:08 pm — Reply

I’m also going to go with my favorite comic book movie Dredd.

3. September 11, 2014 at 6:42 pm — Reply

Did Green Lantern fail at the box office? Because I’d be super ecstatic if they actually did a GL movie that was done as a sci-fi adventure. They had some pretty good stuff in the first movie, but they could have done much, much better. Also, do NOT start with Parallax as a Galactus-level baddie, otherwise unless the sequel introduces all the other Corps and a fight against Black Lanterns or Sinestro and a whole friggin armada of Manhunters (who aren’t exactly pushovers in small numbers), you have nowhere to go but down. Baby steps, Hollywood!

Maybe the GL/Flash movie will be better.

And while it did sorta become a cult classic, I’d be super happy if they remade “Dune”. They did a better job making the Sci-Fi Channel mini-series, but if they took that same idea and turned “Dune” into two or three movies with a big Hollywood budget and creators that actually know the material, it could be even more epic than that. Just keep Michal Bay as far away from it as you can.

• September 12, 2014 at 4:47 pm — Reply

I will totally get behind Dune!

4. Luis Dantas
    September 12, 2014 at 10:46 pm — Reply

John Carter, no second thoughts about it.

Mind you, I _loved_ the recent movie.

• September 12, 2014 at 10:59 pm — Reply

I didn’t love it, but I don’t think it was quite as bad as some people say. I think it could have been better, but I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would after all the bad reviews and such.