When Gotham premieres on FOX this fall, a new character will be added to the Batman lore with Fish Mooney being played by Jada Pinkett Smith. Learn more about her in the latest promo piece for the upcoming show.

Batman: The Animated Series took a risk years ago by introducing a new character, who was also female, to the world of Batman with Harley Quinn, and we have seen how well that has payed off. Do you think the same could happen with Fish Mooney? Will we see her appear in the pages of Batman over the coming years? Speculate in the comments below.

via Gotham

Zach Woolf

Zach Woolf

Zach is a recent college graduate who’s love for consuming media is surpassed only by his love for creating it. He has a firm belief that if we could all just play with LEGOs for 30 minutes a day the world would be a better place. If those two statements don’t tell you everything you need to know about Zach, follow him on Twitter at @zwoolf.

REVIEW: Southern Bastards #4

Jimmy Olsen is tired of being Superman's only friend

1. September 10, 2014 at 1:50 pm — Reply

“Batman: The Animated Series took a risk years ago by introducing a new character, who was also female, to the world of Batman with Harley Quinn, and we have seen how well that has payed off. Do you think the same could happen with Fish Mooney?”

Considering Chloe Sullivan from “Smallville” also showed up in the DCU, I wouldn’t be surprised it this character did even if Gotham doesn’t do well. http://supermanrebirth.wikia.com/wiki/Chloe_Sullivan

Not to say “Smallville” didn’t do well or that this series won’t, just that I wouldn’t be surprised if this character eventually makes the transition to the DCU at some point. I may not be hyped for the series, but I admit I find this character intriguing.

• Will
      September 10, 2014 at 3:21 pm — Reply

I completely agree with what you’re saying. Even if Gotham isn’t very popular, Fish Mooney could easily be transferred into the comic universe to expand upon her character or possibly bring in a different form of her in the comics.

I definitely want to see how this series progresses, but we’ll see if time allows that.

2. September 10, 2014 at 3:54 pm — Reply

Frankly I wish they wouldn’t tie these characters to Batman. I think it’s silly for all these crazy Batman villains to show up over a decade before Batman. Gotham should be about regular mobsters, gangs, and corrupt cops and how Gordan does everything he can to make Gotham a better place. I’m hoping Fish Mooney is just some gang leader who was big before Batman and was dealt with by the GCPD. Having every other show be about the Edward Nigma before he became the Riddler is just a gimmick to get viewers who want to see a Batman show. If they want to do a Batman show then put Batman in it.

• September 10, 2014 at 5:26 pm — Reply

Are they allowed to, though? I don’t know if there is a rights issue currently, but there was one just a few years back that prevented them from doing the planned Batman/Bruce Wayne storylines in “Smallville” (which is where Green Arrow came in instead), and they couldn’t even do more than a passing cameo in “Birds of Prey”. Animated series, on the other hand, is a completely different rights issue. I haven’t read anything that states so directly about this series, but I’m curious if that might be why they are doing it instead of a full on Batman series.

If there are no rights issues at the moment, then I’m curious why they didn’t just do a Batman series with Batman (or at least at the same time as Batman being active). Personally, I’ve been burnt out on the “story before the hero was a hero” series since before Smallville even ended.

3. May 11, 2015 at 4:13 pm — Reply

I’ve rack my brain on how and where fish came into the batman history.but seeing she is a all new character,I understand.I can’t wait to see where she goes from here.i really hope you didn’t kill her off.best character so far other than the penguin .

• May 11, 2015 at 9:05 pm — Reply

Fish is dead, Jada has said she will not return next season.