I’m not sure how many actual mutants are left in the Marvel Universe (at one point, they claimed 198, which was immediately revised when someone realized there are more Wolverine knockoffs than that, and that the team rosters would have to change eventually), but they’re slowly being supplanted by Inhumans, a phenomenon which many attribute to Marvel not holding the movie rights to the X-Men.  Regardless, in the fifty-odd years since the X-Men first debuted, we’ve seen an awful lot of mutants, and in recent years it has become a running theme that one’s power reflects one’s true inner self, kind of like George RR Martin’s ‘Wild Cards’ novel series.  Of course, this doesn’t always lead to legendary characters, (sorry, Maggott) nor does it make for good super-heroes, but it does lead us to today’s superiorly homogenous query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) won’t be using my go-to mutant, as he originally wasn’t a mutant at all, and I don’t hold with all that retconnin’ nonsense, asking: If you were one of Marvel’s mutants, what power would best fit your personality?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Spider-Man vs. Electro action figures available now

SNEAK PEEK: Loki: Agent of Asgard #6

1. August 27, 2014 at 11:34 am — Reply

I think telekinesis would be good. It makes things a lot easier when you just have to think and everything happens. With a little practice, laundry, dishes and other boring tasks can be done without actually doing anything too.

• Doctor Dinosaur
      August 27, 2014 at 11:38 am — Reply

But would it best fit your personality?

• August 27, 2014 at 11:40 am — Reply

I guess it would, since it was the first one that came to my mind. I dont want to be a superhero, its insane and dangerous, I want easier life!

• Doctor Dinosaur
          August 27, 2014 at 11:57 am — Reply

I don’t know if that’s super lazy or just super rational/smart.
          You can be both like Mycroft Holmes!

2. Doctor Dinosaur
    August 27, 2014 at 11:54 am — Reply

Control freak that I am and seeing as I’m more curious than a bad physicist’s cat, my answer is the classic telepathy-combo of mind reading (I do love to read) and mind control (I have on occasion talked my way out of tickets to the awe and confusion of my peers). Besides whether I’m good at it or not I do seem to spend a lot of time convincing people do things they can’t be bothered to do.

Telepathy!

But then is that personality or just the power we’d all pick anyway?

How about YOU Matthew.

3. August 27, 2014 at 12:02 pm — Reply

I think I kinda already have a little bit of Scarlet Witch’s probability manipulation because I seem to have some incredibly unrealistic luck. I haven’t won the lottery or met Asian triplets who fell instantly in love with me or anything (yet), but I seem to be able to get out of bad situations and survive things that I probably shouldn’t have. Even when I was going through treatment for Leukemia as a kid, they kept saying I would unlikely survive to age 11 if I survived this procedure or that operation, and here I am still kicking at 34 (either that or I look REALLY good for a dead chick).

And although I’m not one of Marvel’s, I technically am a mutant already. Not a superpowers mutant (unless you count my insanely high tolerance for anesthesia that always surprises doctors), but I do have a mutation in my blood that makes me allergic to human blood. I can still have transfusions, but the blood has to go through a lengthy process (that not all hospitals are equipped for) before I can get it since there is something in almost everyone else’s blood that can kill me. And it is such a rare thing that many doctors have never even heard of it, including a few who didn’t believe me until they got my medical info from my primary doctor.

• August 27, 2014 at 12:13 pm — Reply

Oh, and the probability manipulation probably does work for my personality since I tend to rush into situations sometimes without thinking and I’m a bit of a klutz.

• Doctor Dinosaur
        August 27, 2014 at 12:31 pm — Reply

Beating leukaemia and a high tolerance to anaesthetics …plot armor as well.

Are you Hugh Jackman!?

• August 27, 2014 at 12:57 pm — Reply

Not unless he’s grown a bit taller and had a sex change recently. If he has, then maybe.

• Doctor Dinosaur
            August 27, 2014 at 1:55 pm — Reply

I KNEW IT!

4. Redneck Taz
    August 27, 2014 at 1:45 pm — Reply

Unfortunately, since I’m pretty much built like Wolverine and have about the same attitude and disposition I’d be one of the aforementioned “Wolverine knock-offs”. Except southern instead of Canadian. More like a “Bear-cat” (wildcat).

5. Dust Rabbit
    August 27, 2014 at 8:39 pm — Reply

My mutant abilities were actually revealed in uncanny x-men issue # 470 (letters page) which was the ability to communicate telepathically with stuffed animals unfortunately I lost my abilities due to the events of M day.

6. AED
    August 28, 2014 at 10:45 am — Reply

For me its Xavier’s powers. I love to be right and debate when I am not. If i had the Prof’s abilities I could just mind hump away all of those who couldnt concede my rightness! LOL

7. Clubberlang6
    August 28, 2014 at 2:38 pm — Reply

I like the green lantern’s will power through his ring. I am very stubborn.

• August 28, 2014 at 8:27 pm — Reply

When did DC’s Green Lantern become one of Marvel’s mutants?