As a youth in the wilds of America in the 70s, I was exposed to a lot of syndicated cartoons, featuring a lot of superheroes left over from the 1966 Batman TV boom.  (Side-note: You don’t ever want to watch ‘Super-President.’  Just… trust me on this one, okay?)  Among my favorites were such luminaries as Underdog, Hong Kong Phooey and pop-sensations-turned-supers The Impossibles, heroes that my young mind considered the equal of Superman, Batman and the Fantastic Four.  Indeed, even now I think that Gizmo Duck is as much hero as The Red Tornado, and would put solid money on Paperinik versus Daredevil in a straight fight.  (Donald Duck has a temper, is all.)  Even Jeff Rovin, in the seminal ‘Encyclopedia Of Super-Heroes’ refused to separate El Kabong from Zorro, but somehow, we still have folks who complain about a talking duck cameo in a movie that is primarily about a noble talking tree, which leads us to today’s fan-riffic query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) longs for an amazing Darkwing Duck crossover with Hong-Kong Phooey to the very core of his being, asking: Should comical superheroes be considered a separate breed from their “serious hero” counterparts?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Avatar Press to exhibit at Baltimore Comic-Con

Dark Horse Presents #1 Review

1. August 20, 2014 at 11:35 am — Reply

Not necessarily, some of the best heroes with most longevity are ones that have several sides to them and can be done in different ways. Latest reminder of how almost any hero can be done both ways, gritty, dark, or comical and lighthearted was in wonderful team up with Ms Marvel and Wolverine in Ms Marvel #6, cant wait to read issue #7! One of the funniest comics I’ve read in long time, interaction with grumpy Wolverine and geeky fangirl Ms Marvel is amazing, I highly recommend it.

2. Starks scraps
    August 20, 2014 at 11:47 am — Reply

I don’t have an answer to your question as I’m too preoccupied by your team up idea.

3. August 20, 2014 at 2:09 pm — Reply

I love that characters like G’nort, Ambush Bug, Plastic Man, Slapstick, Howard the Duck and others exist in the same universes as other more serious characters rather than a comical alternate universe. To me, it isn’t that different from how there are different kinds of people in the real world, ranging from the super-serious to the fanatical crazies to the people who try to crack jokes no matter what the situation is and so on.

Heck, with the right creative team, I’d be more than happy to see a story where Darkwing Duck ends up visiting the Marvel 616 universe.

• Kirby
      August 20, 2014 at 8:17 pm — Reply

I was going to add something, but this covers all the bases pretty much. Am I the only one who’d love to see a Space Ghost (not as a TV host) revival?

• August 20, 2014 at 9:00 pm — Reply

Yes. Yes, I would…

• stellarleader
        August 20, 2014 at 11:22 pm — Reply

No, you’re definitely not the only one!
        By the way, I was very disappointed when the supposed “Birdman” movie ended up not being about a guy in a yellow suit fighting crime with solar beams.

4. stellarleader
    August 20, 2014 at 11:19 pm — Reply

Absolutely not! As a matter of fact I’m kinda tired of people asking for more ‘serious’ superheroes. I want my superheroes to be fun! And also I want them to be super! I want more flying, more zappy powers, more laughs!
    And by the way, I love the image!! The Impossibles, the Galaxy Trio, the Space Ghost, the Mighty Mightor, Frankenstein Jr and the Herculoids? I’d totally watch that movie!

5. Frank
    August 21, 2014 at 8:12 am — Reply

If comical, you mean Hanna-Barbera ‘heroes’, yes. They ought to be put under lock and key and the key tossed way.
    As for regular comics, no.
    I would love to see Ambush Bug and ‘Mazing Man have a slap fight in the background while the Justice League is saving the day in the foreground.

6. steven allen
    August 21, 2014 at 8:28 am — Reply

“Jonny Quest”

7. steven allen
    August 21, 2014 at 8:32 am — Reply

Doh! Hit send before I was done. Anyway,JQ was both the comical/serious show that I liked the most and would really like to see it return.

8. Frank
    August 21, 2014 at 9:19 am — Reply

Yea, Jonny Quest is probably the exception. The original 60s version was excellent. I wish HB had stayed with that quality of work rather than delving into their goofy low-rent animation.

HB had some really good stuff, and some terrible stuff. It’s unfair of me to say ALL HP animation is bad. In addition to JB, they did put out Herculoids, Swat-cats among others.