The big rumor circulating around the Internet this past week is that Disney is going to release the original unaltered cuts of A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi on Blu-Ray. While the promise of seeing Han shoot first again, may sound exciting, there are a number of people who prefer the cleaned up special effects, enhanced visuals, and the inclusion of Jabba the Hutt in A New Hope.

Will you buy the original theatrical release of Star Wars on Blu-ray if it is released?(comment here)

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

George Pérez brings original series to BOOM! Studios

SNEAK PEEK: The Fade Out #1

1. Dan
    August 19, 2014 at 11:32 am — Reply

I simply won’t buy it because I don’t have a blu-ray player, and mostly watch movies on DVD on my computer, which has a nice monitor and decent sound setup. however, i’ve held out for this long as wave after wave of dvd releases, re-releases, remasters, etc. have been released. If an honest-to-zeus DVD release of the original trilogy was released, tastefully remastered/clean up without the extra cgi crap/walkin’ jabba/self-defense Han Solo, I’d pick it up. Blu-Ray only? Well….I don’t want to buy a blu-ray player just for that.

2. Chris
    August 19, 2014 at 11:39 am — Reply

No. If they wanted to make money off of this, then Lucas should have done it right the first fucking time. Of course, he’s probably sitting on his wrinkly old ass drinking cognac and weighing his Disney money, so he doesn’t care.

3. August 19, 2014 at 11:44 am — Reply

I never bought the first Blu-ray release, I figured that Lucas would probably release the original versions when it was time to make more money. I’ll get ’em, but I’m waiting until the reviews are out, just in case.

4. Ingrid
    August 19, 2014 at 12:27 pm — Reply

I don’t have a blu-ray player. Now if it were on DVD, I would. But I already have to replace my TV that was blown out by lightning so I’m not in the market for a new player.

5. Russ Catt
    August 19, 2014 at 12:54 pm — Reply

I’m pleased enough with my current DVD box set. No need for anything more right now.

6. August 19, 2014 at 1:12 pm — Reply

Yeah, if I ever get a Blu Ray player. I don’t have a problem with MOST of the Special Edition extras (keyword is MOST, not ALL), but it would be pretty neat to be able to compare just how different the two versions are.

However, I still firmly believe they should make a “Make Your Own” DVD/Blu Ray set for online order where you can go through a checklist of scenes that were altered and choose which ones you want. Then you could have Han shooting first in the same movie with some of the CGI enhancements that didn’t completely skewer the story, or take out the new song scene in Jabba’s palace yet still have the updated Sarlacc.

7. August 19, 2014 at 2:08 pm — Reply

Oh my god yes!
    I have them on VHS and have got them formatted to dvds. But yes continue to buy the original theatrical release version on all new platforms.
    Im that stupid.

8. Spider lover
    August 19, 2014 at 2:10 pm — Reply

I waited and was correct too. So yes I’ll finally own it on blue ray.

9. August 19, 2014 at 2:26 pm — Reply

Very likely, yes. Mostly because I only own the 20th anniversary VHS editions of the films and it would be nice to be able to have them more readily available when that Star Wars mood strikes me.

10. August 19, 2014 at 2:32 pm — Reply

Oh God yes… but it has to be the original release. That means no “A New Hope” anywhere. That was added on for the 1982 theatrical re-release. The movie’s name is “Star Wars” and it was not, in its original form, episode four of anything.

11. August 19, 2014 at 2:33 pm — Reply

Hey… sorry that was a typo. 1981. Sorry.

12. Cat Halo
    August 19, 2014 at 2:38 pm — Reply

Absolutely. I have a serious Star Wars problem. I have them on video, DVD, and BluRay. I actually have the Han Shoots First ’77 Star Wars on DVD already…but I know, despite my wife’s protests, more money will be spent on the BluRay.

13. Hannah Jones
    August 19, 2014 at 2:42 pm — Reply

YES! I probably would/will. These are the films I grew up with and I would love to watch them again as an adult(as much as a shmuck like me can qualify as an Adult)

14. Justin
    August 19, 2014 at 2:53 pm — Reply

I voted no because it seems like a money grab by Disney. If there is an enhanced version why would I want the normal one?

15. Law
    August 19, 2014 at 4:20 pm — Reply

I’ll get the cleaned up Blu-ray of the original series. I already have it on DVD, it’s a little irritating because it’s not on the main DVD, it’s on the special features disc as “Theatrical Version” and I am one of those people that never look at the special features disc.

GOSH!! I can’t believe Stephen still has the movies in VHS!! Why didn’t you jump on the DVD when it was available?? What were you thinking, man!?!

16. ClubberLang6
    August 19, 2014 at 5:45 pm — Reply

Sadly, I still do not have a blu ray player, or a HD DVD player.

17. Scale Enlie
    August 20, 2014 at 7:44 am — Reply

I won’t be buying this. Not again. Never again. And certainly not when they are going to re-release it again in 5 years with “12 seconds of previously never before seen footage!” or “In all new glorious 3D!” Bugger that. I’ve bought Star Wars too many times already.

That said… I won’t rule out…. getting it somewhere else….

Shiver me timbers! Argh! Snag the booty, men! Any way ye can! Neither Disney nor Cap’n Lucas his a’cursed self be gettin’ me precious doubloons again! Argh! I’d sooner walk the plank! Argh!

18. Bronco
    August 20, 2014 at 9:52 am — Reply

I will not be buying this. Like a few have mentioned already i do not currently have a DVD or BluRay player hooked up to a TV. My media consumption is less and less linked to physical disks and i find myself buying more e copies lately.

With that in mind if they release it on iTunes i would likely buy it.

19. Oldcomicfan
    August 21, 2014 at 2:20 pm — Reply

No, for two reasons – One, I don’t have a Blu-Ray player and Two, I already owned the original on Beta, VHS and laserdisc and I’m tired of re-buying it – especially when you consider how expensive the old Beta movies were! Also, I prefer the updated special effects.

20. Matt
    August 22, 2014 at 9:34 pm — Reply

Yes! The “enhanced” versions ruined everything about the cantina, screwed up the Ewok celebration, and peppered all three movies with janky late 90’s CGI that is unwatchable today. My daughters won’t be seeing Greedo shoot first under my roof.

21. Oldcomicfan
    August 24, 2014 at 9:20 am — Reply

Disney ought to do what those other folks did with the Aliens Quadrilogy boxed set and what was done with the BladeRunner deluxe set and release ALL versions of the film in one set, and then everybody could watch whichever they prefer.