There are a lot of concepts in comics that people deride as “silly” or “goofy”, without realizing that it’s a matter of execution that makes characters succeed. (Yes, this is a rant triggered by backlash against Howard The Duck, why do you ask?)  The idea of a man in a pointy hat fighting crime isn’t inherently cool, but Batman has more fans than a Costco warehouse in mid-August.  The idea of a bulletproof man from another planet who has come to fix the problems with Earth could be a description of the mighty hero known as Superman, but it also describes Marvin the Martian (who, it must be said, is equally entertaining in his own way.)  Even Galactus has been described as “too silly”, with his antlers and his moon-boots and what-have-you, while his original herald is terrifying for being a featureless naked man on a flying surfboard.  In short, my friends, it ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it, even if you’re a cosmic force of nature, which leads us to today’s intergalactic, planetary/planetary, intergalactic query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) would make a terrible world-devourer, but wouldn’t mind some lasagna, thanks, asking: If you were a giant space-god come from beyond, what fictional character would you want to herald your arrival and strike fear/awe/love in the hearts of the populace?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

What comes after The Bigger Bang?

The Guardians of the Galaxy take on a planet of Symbiotes!

1. August 18, 2014 at 1:01 pm — Reply

Does it have to be fictional? Because my kitten and bunny are already sorta my heralds/protectors/cute girl attractors.

But if it absolutely positively has to be fictional, then I choose Daijinryuu.

2. Will
    August 18, 2014 at 1:30 pm — Reply

Hmm, this is an fun question to think about. One random, possibly illogical choice for me would be Kitty Pryde. Ms. Pryde can provide both fear or love depending on the intent of my coming. She has a power that can be intimidating, but also be more benign if you are going for that route. She is also an attractive, young woman who would loved by all. Plus she can bring Lockheed with her just for the extra spectacle.
    Or if I just wanted to scare the living hell out of the planet, I’d choose Mogo because he’s a planet with a power ring!!!

3. August 18, 2014 at 2:43 pm — Reply

Obvious answer would be Superman. Hes inspiring, reliable and all round powerful symbol. On the other hand, if I should become not so benevolent character, he would be first to turn against me to help oppressed inhabitants of the planet in question..

4. Kirby
    August 18, 2014 at 5:22 pm — Reply

I feel that if I were a Galactus type, I’d have Jaime Reyes, who could cover all bases, having the capacity for destruction tempered with a nice & friendly demeanor most of the time.

5. Hannah Jones
    August 18, 2014 at 5:31 pm — Reply

Can I say Howard the Duck? Because that’s who I’d choose. I don’t have any logic behind it, I just like him.

If he’s unavailable, I suppose I’ll lease one of Night Vale’s resident Librarians.

• August 18, 2014 at 7:41 pm — Reply

I’ll allow it!

• Ian
      August 18, 2014 at 9:38 pm — Reply

Stole my immediate answer!

6. Luis Dantas
    August 18, 2014 at 7:35 pm — Reply

Make it Quasar (Wendell).

7. August 18, 2014 at 10:39 pm — Reply

Dark wing duck,

Totally for the fact that he will show up in his puff of smoke, to announce my coming. Also who doesn’t love him other then criminals who fear him. Totally everything your looking for.

8. Slappy
    August 19, 2014 at 1:20 am — Reply

To show that I am the supreme being of Supreme beings, I choose Darkseid!
    Who better to make your bitch than the baddest most evil God of them all.