I have always been frustrated and baffled by the thought process that one version of any given character, especially those with many different iterations, is the “One True [FILL-IN-THE-BLANK].”  Not only is it unnecessarily reductive, it sets you up for disappointment when things inevitably change.  Of course, I have a not-entirely-unearned reputation as a contrarian, as I don’t agree that all the elder heroes of the Marvel Universe should be geniuses, I don’t believe that Barry Allen should always be the fastest even among Flashes, and I don’t particularly like the theory that Cyclops has to be a big ol’ boring stick in the mud.  Indeed, many of the problems that comic creators are having to write around in their stories these days aren’t problems with the text, but the meta-textual expectations of the fanbase, who now believe that their voice should not only be heard but responded to in all aspects of our shared hobby, which leads us to today’s opinionated query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) likes Johnny Blaze better than any of the other Ghost Riders, but isn’t going to be fighting with the Danny Ketch or Carter Slade fans, as there is no wrong answer to the question “Who do you like best?”, asking: Which popular belief of fandom or the general public do you most vehemently disagree with?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

SNEAK PEEK: Dark Horse Preview: Pop #1

New Comic Releases for August 06, 2014

1. August 4, 2014 at 11:38 am — Reply

That in all out fight between Batman and Superman, regardless of prep times, or any other silliness, Batman would have ANY, even tiniest chance against Superman. It would be over before anyone could even see what happened, period.

• Stark's Scraps
      August 5, 2014 at 6:18 am — Reply

I agree. There are a lot of people who say they don’t like Superman because “there isn’t a challenge” yet time and time again Batman overcomes everything that’s thrown at him simply because he is Batman. I like both characters but I think that there is this skewed opinion of Superman and Batman that borders on lunacy.

2. August 4, 2014 at 11:40 am — Reply

“Star Trek (any series) was garbage. None of them were worth watching after Star Trek (the first series that they watched).”

• August 4, 2014 at 2:11 pm — Reply

I dislike that almost as much as I dislike the new movies being called a “reboot” (though the reboot thing is more of a pet peeve since technically it is just another alternate timeline story, something relatively common to the franchise).

3. Kirby
    August 4, 2014 at 11:49 am — Reply

I find Joss Whedon to be EXTREMELY overrated. His stories, characters, and general tropes (happy people being boring television) I find to be very played out, tired, and just loops right around to me not caring at all. Also dialogue some people love, not for me.

4. August 4, 2014 at 12:37 pm — Reply

Whedon is overrated, same goes for James Cameron.

5. Mike
    August 4, 2014 at 1:12 pm — Reply

The concept that Superman is no longer relevant or that he can’t be relevant with his mentality of not killing people and trying to see the best in others.

6. August 4, 2014 at 1:12 pm — Reply

The one that has irked me for the longest is the misconception that Green Lantern’s ring is “just a flashlight”, which is like saying Wolverine has had just a couple of team-ups and guest appearances in other comics over the years.

I am also slightly irked by the misconception that Digimon is simply a rip-off of Pokemon. Digimon actually came first in the form of Tamogatchi-like toys. I like both franchises to various degrees, I just get annoyed by that particular misconception.

7. Rob
    August 4, 2014 at 4:20 pm — Reply

The idea that you have to take sides with your entertainment, you can’t like Star Trek and Star Wars you can’t read Marvel and DC you can’t play Pathfinder and D&D etc. Just silly.

• August 5, 2014 at 8:16 am — Reply

I take back my previous statement, THAT is one that has bugged me longer than any other (the GL one still comes in close, though). Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind friendly debates about why someone enjoys one better than the other, but some “fans” can get downright nasty about people liking supposedly rival entertainments.

I remember in my teens when a couple of guys (adult men) went ballistic at a con because I had on an Alan Scott GL logo tee and an X-Men hat, which they apparently found to be the most disturbing combination they have ever seen. It wasn’t even just a verbal argument, they tried to get physical (took my hat claiming I didn’t deserve it and shoved me hard enough that I fell into a vendor’s table) and they had to be escorted out by security.

8. August 4, 2014 at 8:28 pm — Reply

That Wolverine works as a regular character.

9. Mauther
    August 5, 2014 at 2:53 am — Reply

Hank Pym wife beater. It’s one plot line. It doesn’t have to appear in every version of the character.

10. Slappy
    August 14, 2014 at 5:33 pm — Reply

Bruce Wayne is the only Batman.
    While few have worn the mantle of the bat, some have done it successfully. Jean Paul Valley was ok I will admit, but went a little wacky. Alfred did it more to throw people off. Dick Grayson did it successfully. During his brief runs, I did not miss Bruce at all. I believe he was even the better Batman paired with Tim Drake in the 90’s post Knightfall.
    There is also a Batman while technically a Bruce clone, is not Bruce in any other way. Terry McGuinness(?) of Batman Beyond fame is also a wonderful iteration of the Batman. Both Dick and Terry bring fun to the hero without being silly.