Dark Horse Comics is ready for the San Diego Comic Con this week, and has released its complete rundown of signings, exclusives, panels and more.
DARK HORSE COMICS | SAN DIEGO COMIC-CON 2014 | BOOTH #2615
All creators signing in our booth offer their autographs for FREE. FREE prints, comics, or posters are provided for most of our signings (while supplies last). You may purchase or bring items to be signed; however, we may restrict the type or number of items to be signed as necessary.
Some signings require a wristband for entry, as noted on the schedule. Drawings for wristbands for these events will begin at show opening the day before and day of each signing. Come to the Dark Horse booth early for the best chance to join these events.
Lines may also be closed for some signings due to crowding or time restrictions.
We have two signing stages: one featuring the art of Mike Mignola’s Hellboy; the other, the art of Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan’s The Strain. The location of each signing is indicated by the following abbreviations:
HB = Hellboy Signing Stage ST = The Strain Signing Stage
All events are subject to change. Some restrictions apply. Please see Dark Horse Comics staff if you have questions.
THURSDAY, JULY 24
- 10:00 a.m.–10:50 a.m. HB THE TRUE LIVES OF THE FABULOUS KILLJOYS: Becky Cloonan
- 11:00 a.m.–11:50 a.m. HB ROBOCOP VS. THE TERMINATOR: Walter Simonson
- 11:00 a.m.–11:50 a.m. ST MASS EFFECT: Mike Gamble, Fabrice Condominas, Noel Lukasewich, Tony Parker
- 12:00 p.m.–12:50 p.m. HB PICTURES THAT TICK 2: Dave McKean
- 12:00 p.m.–12:50 p.m. ST BUZZKILL & THE GHOST FLEET: Donny Cates
- 1:00 p.m.–1:50 p.m. HB DRAGON GIRL AND MONKEY KING: Katsuya Terada
- 1:00 p.m.–1:50 p.m. ST THE WORLD OF THE WITCHER: Rafal Jaki, Damien Monnier
- 2:00 p.m.–2:50 p.m. ST CREEPY & EERIE: Dan Braun, Uncle Creepy, Cousin Eerie
- 2:30 p.m.–3:20 p.m. HB THE STRAIN: Guillermo del Toro, Mike Huddleston, E. M. Gist (WRISTBAND REQUIRED)
- 3:00 p.m.–3:50 p.m. ST DRAGON AGE: Patrick Weekes, Nick Thornborrow, Ben Gelinas
- 3:30 p.m.–4:20 p.m. HB THE STAR WARS: Jonathan Rinzler
- 4:00 p.m.–4:50 p.m. ST THE GUNS OF SHADOW VALLEY: James Andrew Clark
- 4:30 p.m.–5:20 p.m. HB CRIMINAL MACABRE & BREATH OF BONES: Steve Niles
- 5:00 p.m.–5:50 p.m. ST THE FIFTH BEATLE: Vivek J. Tiwary, Andrew C. Robinson
- 5:30 p.m.–6:20 p.m. HB CONAN RED SONJA: Jim Zub
- 6:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m. ST CONCRETE PARK: Tony Puryear, Erika Alexander
- FRIDAY, JULY 25
- 10:00 a.m.–10:50 a.m. HB USAGI YOJIMBO 30TH ANNIVERSARY: Stan Sakai
- 10:00 a.m.–10:50 a.m. ST GROO VS. CONAN: Mark Evanier, Sergio Aragonés
- 11:00 a.m.–11:50 a.m. HB ELFQUEST: Richard Pini, Wendy Pini
- 11:00 a.m.–11:50 a.m. ST THE BEST OF COMIX BOOK: Denis Kitchen, Trina Robbins
- 12:00 p.m.–12:50 p.m. HB THE GOON: Eric Powell
- 12:00 p.m.–12:50 p.m. ST PARIAH: Aron Warner, Brett Weldele
- 1:00 p.m.–1:50 p.m. HB SERENITY, BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER & ANGEL & FAITH: Georges Jeanty,
- Christos Gage, Nicholas Brendon (WRISTBAND REQUIRED)
- 1:00 p.m.–1:50 p.m. ST BLACKSAD: Juanjo Guarnido
- 2:15 p.m.–3:15 p.m. HB HELLBOY 20TH ANNIVERSARY: Mike Mignola
- 2:15 p.m.–3:15 p.m. ST THE WITCHER: Paul Tobin, Rafal Jaki
- 3:30 p.m.–4:20 p.m. HB RESURRECTIONISTS, ACTION PHILOSOPHERS, THE COMPLETE SILENCERS,
- CONAN THE AVENGER & PROJECT BLACK SKY: Fred Van Lente
- 3:30 p.m.–4:20 p.m. ST BANDETTE: Paul Tobin, Colleen Coover
- 4:30 p.m.–5:20 p.m. HB BLACK HAMMER: Jeff Lemire
- 4:30 p.m.–5:20 p.m. ST THE MASSIVE: Garry Brown
- 5:30 p.m.–6:20 p.m. HB THE LAST OF US, THE ART OF NAUGHTY DOG & A SECOND CHANCE AT SARAH:
- Neil Druckmann
- 5:30 p.m.–6:30 p.m. ST STAR WARS: Randy Stradley, Doug Wheatley, Carlos D’Anda, Gabe Eltaeb, Dave
- Wilkins, Tim Siedell, Michael Heisler
- 6:30 p.m.–7:00 p.m. HB MASS EFFECT: Mike Gamble, Fabrice Condominas, Noel Lukasewich
SATURDAY, JULY 26
- 10:00 a.m.–10:50 a.m. HB DREAM THIEF: Jai Nitz, Greg Smallwood, THE BLACK BEETLE: Francesco Francavilla
- 10:00 a.m.–10:50 a.m. ST DRAGON AGE: Patrick Weekes, Nick Thornborrow, Ben Gelinas
- 11:00 a.m.–11:50 a.m. HB THE SHAOLIN COWBOY: Geof Darrow
- 11:00 a.m.–11:50 a.m. ST COLDER: Paul Tobin, Juan Ferreyra
- 12:00 p.m.–12:50 p.m. HB STAR WARS: Adam Hughes, Matt Kindt, Dan Parsons, Gabe Eltaeb, Wes Dzioba,
Michael Heisler, Ariel Olivetti
- 12:00 p.m.–12:50 p.m. ST ELFQUEST: Richard Pini, Wendy Pini
- 1:00 p.m.–1:50 p.m. HB MIND MGMT: Matt Kindt, Sharlene Kindt
- 1:00 p.m.–1:50 p.m. ST: DARK HORSE SUPERHEROES: Christopher Sebela, Dan Parsons (Ghost);
Tim Seeley (The Occultist); Fred Van Lente (Brain Boy, Project Black Sky);
Michael Broussard (Project Black Sky); Joshua Williamson (Captain Midnight)
- 2:00 p.m.–4:00 p.m. HB AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER & THE LEGEND OF KORRA:
Michael Dante DiMartino, Bryan Konietzko, Gene Luen Yang, Gurihiru, Jessie Flower (WRISTBAND REQUIRED. In addition to distribution by drawing on Friday and Saturday at show opening, there will be some wristbands given as prizes during the Avatar: The Last Airbender—Legend and Legacy panel on Saturday, July 26, 10:30 a.m.–11:30 a.m. in Room 24ABC.)
- 2:00 p.m.–2:50 p.m. ST SUNDOWNERS: Tim Seeley
- 3:00 p.m.–3:50 p.m. ST DRAGON GIRL AND MONKEY KING: Katsuya Terada
- 4:00 p.m.–4:50 p.m. ST MASS EFFECT: Mike Gamble, Fabrice Condominas, Noel Lukasewich
- 4:15 p.m.–5:15 p.m. HB SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR: Frank Miller, Jessica Alba, Josh Brolin, Rosario Dawson, Robert Rodriguez
(WRISTBAND REQUIRED. One poster per wristband will be provided. No other items allowed.
No photos. Other restrictions may apply.)
- 5:30 p.m.–6:00 p.m. ST GRENDEL VS. THE SHADOW: Matt Wagner
- 5:30 p.m.–6:30 p.m. HB PROMETHEUS, ALIENS, PREDATOR & ALIENS VS. PREDATOR: Paul Tobin, Juan Ferreyra, Chris Roberson, Joshua Williamson, Ariel Olivetti, E. M. Gist, Christopher Sebela
- 6:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m. ST THE FIFTH BEATLE: Vivek J. Tiwary, Andrew C. Robinson
SUNDAY, JULY 27
- 10:00 a.m.–10:50 a.m. HB 47 RONIN & THE ATOMIC LEGION: Stan Sakai, Mike Richardson
- 10:00 a.m.–10:50 a.m. ST CONCRETE PARK: Tony Puryear, Erika Alexander
- 11:00 a.m.–11:30 a.m. HB STAR WARS: LEGACY, DEEP GRAVITY: Gabriel Hardman, Corinna Bechko
- 11:00 a.m.–11:50 a.m. ST PLANTS VS. ZOMBIES: Paul Tobin
- 11:30 a.m.–12:00 p.m. HB SERENITY, BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER & ANGEL & FAITH: Joss Whedon (WRISTBAND REQUIRED.)
- 12:00 p.m.–12:50 p.m. ST EMILY AND THE STRANGERS: Rob Reger, Mariah Huehner, Cat Farris
- 1:00 p.m.–1:50 p.m. ST BUZZKILL & THE GHOST FLEET: Donny Cates
- 1:30 p.m.–3:00 p.m. HB TO BE ANNOUNCED ON TUESDAY, JULY 22 (WRISTBAND REQUIRED. One print per wristband will be provided. No other items allowed. Other restrictions may apply.)
- 2:00 p.m.–2:50 p.m. ST MASS EFFECT: Mike Gamble, Fabrice Condominas, Noel Lukasewich
- 3:00 p.m.–3:50 p.m. ST THE STRAIN: Mike Huddleston
- 3:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. HB FURIOUS: Bryan J. L. Glass
- 4:00 p.m.–4:50 p.m. ST AXE COP: Ethan Nicolle
DARK HORSE PANEL SCHEDULE
Thursday, July 24, 2014
10:00 a.m.–11:00 a.m.
A franchise spanning literature, comics, film and television, board games, and widely popular video games, The Witcher has touched millions with its engaging characters and exciting adventures. A diverse panel of experts discuss the many aspects of this renowned universe. Be the first to see new Dark Horse publications, view the first-ever live consumer demo of the upcoming The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt video game, and get a chance to meet the team behind Wild Hunt. Panelists include actors Doug Cockle (Geralt of Rivia, The Witcher franchise), Dark Horse Comics author Paul Tobin (The Witcher: House of Glass), Nick McWhorter, CD Projekt RED’s game developers Damien Monnier and Lukasz Wnek (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt), and Rafal Jaki. Moderated by Spike TV’s Geoff Keighley.
1:00 p.m.–2:00 p.m.
Drawing on Your Nightmares: Modern Horror in Comics
Hot on the heels of the premiere of the Dark Horse comic turned television series The Strain, you are invited to explore the darker corners of comics. Horror has been one of the cornerstones of the Dark Horse publishing line for years, and 2014 will be no exception! Join panelists for an hour of all that is guaranteed to thrill and chill you, with resident horror junkies—editor in chief Scott Allie and PR director Jeremy Atkins—along with Eric Powell (The Goon), Mike Huddleston (The Strain), the first US appearance of Colder artist Juan Ferreyra, and more for sneak peeks, announcements, and other surprises along the way!
4:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
Breaking into Comics and Staying In
With the shifting landscape of comics today, this is your invaluable guide to breaking into the industry. Comics Experience founder Andy Schmidt (Marvel, IDW) is joined by writers Joshua Williamson (Ghosted, Nailbiter) and Joshua Hale Fialkov (The Ultimates, The Bunker), Dark Horse editor in chief Scott Allie (Hellboy), and IDW Publishing editor in chief Chris Ryall (Zombies vs. Robots) for what promises to be the best panel on breaking in ever!
6:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m.
A Universe of Terror Drawn to One Panel: Aliens, Predator, Prometheus, and Beyond
Nearly thirty years ago, Dark Horse rewrote the rules of licensed comics with the release of Aliens, continuing the story lines of Ridley Scott’s iconic film franchise. Predator and the iconic crossover Aliens vs. Predator followed, with each series a hit. Now, the publisher partners with Scott again, to bring sci-fi epic Prometheus to comics. With just under two months away from the launch of the ambitious and highly anticipated crossover Fire and Stone, Dark Horse editor in chief Scott Allie, writers Chris Roberson (Aliens), Joshua Williamson (Predator), Christopher Sebela (Aliens vs. Predator), and the Prometheus team of Paul Tobin and Juan Ferreyra reveal just what’s in store for this grand universe!
Friday, July 25, 2014
12:30 p.m.–1:30 p.m.
Spotlight on Mike Mignola
Comic-Con special guest Mike Mignola celebrates the twentieth anniversary of his iconic creation Hellboy, star of comics, movies, and animation. Ask Mike about the Mignolaverse in this casual Q&A.
4:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
The Art of Video Games
A lot has changed since Dark Horse first released Mass Effect: Redemption #1 back in 2010. For the first time, video game franchises found a legitimacy in comics that had been practically unheard of. With a line of video game–related comics and deluxe art books, including the best-selling The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, the publisher now works with some of the biggest studios and brands in the business. Join Dark Horse PR director Jeremy Atkins and editor Dave Marshall, Neil Druckmann (Naughty Dog), Jeremy Vanhoozer (PopCap), Adam Badowski (CD Projekt RED), Nick Thornborrow (Dragon Age), and writer Paul Tobin (Plants vs. Zombies, The Witcher) for news and announcements on all your favorite video game tie-ins!
6:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m.
Comic Book Entrepreneurs: The Business of Comics
A rare behind-the-scenes look as leading pop culture entrepreneurs share the secrets of building successful pop culture businesses! J. K. Parkin from Comic Book Resources and Robot 6 moderates an inspirational talk with comiXology cofounder and CEO David Steinberger, Harvey Award–nominated cartoonist Noelle Stevenson (Nimona, Lumberjanes), Dark Horse president and founder Mike Richardson, and Valiant CEO and chief creative officer Dinesh Shamdasani. It’s an inside look at the business side of pop culture no future comics entrepreneur can miss!
Saturday, July 26, 2014
10:30 a.m.–11:30 a.m.
Avatar: The Last Airbender—Legend and Legacy
For over five years, the Avatar Legacy Fan Panel has proudly organized this gathering. Moderator Avatar_Mom, Kevin Coppa (Puppetbenders), Elizabeth Furr (fan artist/Amira Ink!), Gene Luen Yang (writer/cartoonist), Angela Song Mueller (character designer), Josh Hamilton (writer), and Jessie Flower (voice actor for Toph) share stories and answer questions. Cosplayers, practice your stance for the cosplay contest! Cosplay prizes include titles from Dark Horse Comics.
1:30 p.m.–2:30 p.m.
Dark Horse’s continuations of Joss Whedon’s cult favorites (Serenity, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel & Faith) remain some of the most-talked-about comics in the industry. Dark Horse is giving you an exclusive chance to hear all there is to tell about the current series of both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Serenity from the series’ top talent, with Dark Horse editor in chief Scott Allie, Buffy Season 10 writer Christos Gage and cowriter and actor Nicholas Brendon, Serenity artist Georges Jeanty, and TV and comics writer Jane Espenson.
2:00 p.m.–3:00 p.m.
Charting a Course: Developing the Next Mass Effect
Mass Effect developers from the Edmonton and Montreal studios discuss what it’s like to expand on a well-established and beloved video game franchise. Panelists Carl Boulay (lead animator), Fabrice Condominas (producer), Mike Gamble (producer), Noel Lukasewich (senior artist), and Jessica Merizan (community manager) share their experiences in shaping the next Mass Effect game with new possibilities while staying true to the critically acclaimed series. Moderated by Nerdist.com.
2:50 p.m.–3:50 p.m.
Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
Dimension Films, in association with Aldamisa Entertainment, present exclusive footage from the highly anticipated sequel Frank Miller’s Sin City: A Dame to Kill For from acclaimed codirectors Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller. Fans will get to experience the Sin City universe and take part in a special discussion with Rodriguez, Miller, and members of the cast.
3:00 p.m.–4:00 p.m.
30 Years of Usagi Yojimbo!
Comic-Con special guest Stan Sakai, creator of Usagi Yojimbo, is interviewed by Dark Horse editor Diana Schutz about the upcoming Senso miniseries, The Sakai Project, and the return of the regular Usagi series after a two-year hiatus.
4:30 p.m.–5:30 p.m.
Creepy & Eerie: 21st Century Horror
A ghoulish panel of horror freaks discuss the impact and influence of the classic Warren horror titles Creepy and Eerie on modern horror creators in film, TV, and of course, comics. Some special guests will add to your discomfort as Dark Horse announces plans for the fiftieth anniversary of Creepy. Moderated by Gemstone’s J. C. Vaughn (Overstreet Price Guide) and consulting editor and writer Dan Braun (Creepy). Panelists include sculptor Justin Mabry (Trick or Treat Studios), Chris Zephro (Trick or Treat Studios), and New Comic Company’s Josh Braun (Eerie). Throw in a couple of surprise Creepy artists and writers, and there’ll be quite a stew for you. Plus: awesome Creepy swag!
Sunday, July 27, 2014
10:00 a.m.–11:00 a.m.
The Fifth Beatle: The Beatles, the Big Screen, and Beyond
One of the hottest graphic novels of 2013, The Fifth Beatle: The Brian Epstein Story is now one of the most highly anticipated films, having secured the approval of Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono, and Olivia Harrison, along with unprecedented access to the entire Beatles music catalog. Fifth Beatle writer and producer Vivek J. Tiwary (Green Day’s American Idiot) introduces a series of very special guests for a discussion of The Fifth Beatle’s development and breaking news. Panel moderated by Patrick Reed (Depth of Field Magazine).
10:00 a.m.–11:00 a.m.
The Emily the Strange Panel
Join Emily the Strange creator Rob Reger and his cast of Strangers for their annual panel experience and get the insider scoop on the all-ages Dark Horse comic book series Emily and the Strangers, including sneak peeks at new artwork and story lines from upcoming issues. Hear some snippets of new tracks from Emily and the Strangers and see behind-the-scenes footage of the making of the “Calling All Guitars” animated music video. As always, audience participation will be encouraged and perhaps enforced with plenty of rewards for being strange . . . Oh yeah, and some Q&A with updates on the feature film development. Be there or get lost!
12:00 p.m.–1:00 p.m.
Dark Horse Builds Characters: Tomorrow’s Comics Today
Nearly thirty years ago, Dark Horse arrived with an agenda different from that of any other publisher in comics. The young company was founded on the belief that comics creators should have the option to retain the rights to their own work, and it continues to be a highly fertile breeding ground for new characters, concepts, and more! Now, the publisher is poised to make headlines again with some of the biggest news about new original work since Frank Miller brought Sin City to the pages of Dark Horse Presents! Join panelists for an exclusive look at upcoming and unannounced creator-owned work from some of the biggest names in and outside the industry! This will be the comics panel everyone will be talking about at this year’s show!
1:45 p.m.–3:45 p.m.
Get a sneak peek at the third episode of FX’s brand-new series, The Strain. In episode 3, “Gone Smooth,” Eph and Nora fight to save Captain Redfern’s life before coming face to face with the horrifying effects of the virus. A spike in rat attacks signals Fet that something inexplicable is happening deep below the city. Released from jail, Setrakian begins his own merciless plan to stop the spread of the disease. Written by Chuck Hogan; directed by David Semel. After the screening, join series creators Guillermo del Toro (Pacific Rim) and Chuck Hogan and show runner Carlton Cuse (Lost), along with the cast members Corey Stoll, David Bradley, Mía Maestro, Sean Astin, Kevin Durand, Jonathan Hyde, Richard Sammel, Miguel Gomez, Ben Hyland, and Jack Kesy.