The great philosopher Veronica Sawyer once said, “If you were happy every day of your life, you wouldn’t be a human being. You’d be a game-show host.”  It’s a truism that I like to remember when I’m feeling run-down, brung-down, hung-down and all kinda mean nasty stuff, and it’s been especially helpful to me during my ever-so-slowly ebbing bout with post-con altitude sickness.  Fortunately, I keep a number of useful entertainments at hand (including ‘Heavy Metal’, season one of ‘Good Morning, Miami’ and the real big gun, Disney’s 1979 science fiction magnum opurt, ‘The Black Hole’) for just such an emergency, and if things get really ugly, I have a complete run of Kurt Busiek’s ‘Liberty Project’ in a short box in my office.  (Watch for the exploding police cars!)  Indeed, feeling bad is sometimes worth it, if only on a pop-culture junk-food level, which leads us to today’s emotionally loaded query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) has occasionally been known to hole up with frozen pizza and watch cartoons all day if things get really dicey, but the really rough days generally involve video game violence, asking: What bits of pop culture are most effective at curing your bad moods?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Here's an extended look at Guardians of the Galaxy

REVIEW: Ghosted #11

1. July 10, 2014 at 11:55 am — Reply

Faces of Death series (kidding). Star Wars and Good ol’ Super Friends.

2. July 10, 2014 at 12:09 pm — Reply

Transformers the Movie, the classic 80s ‘toon. I’m prone to occasional melancholy, and nothing fits that mood, and yet heals it, better than this great, nostalgic story. :)

• July 10, 2014 at 3:28 pm — Reply

That one, while one of my all-time favorites, has the opposite effect on me because of the fate of Optimus Prime (and it didn’t help that I didn’t know he came back until many, many years later since my local channels didn’t air the episodes that came after the movie). So for all the awesome parts the rest of the movie has, that one scene is enough to keep the movie from cheering me up.

Then again, I thought the movie “Let me in” was cute and sweet, so what do I know?

• July 11, 2014 at 7:38 pm — Reply

I completely understand! Yeah, it’s a strange mixture for me, as it both harmonizes with my melancholy and provides an antidote for it as well. Prime’s death still chokes me up a bit, even after all these years. ;) I think that a good part of the joy for me is that spectacularly 80s soundtrack. “You’ve got the touch! You’ve got the Poooowweeeerrrr!” :D

3. Starks Scraps
    July 10, 2014 at 2:15 pm — Reply

The Ricky Spanish episode of American Dad or just about any episode of Peep Show

4. July 10, 2014 at 2:19 pm — Reply

Bill & Ted, Big Trouble In Little China, or lately Tucker & Dale VS Evil.

5. July 10, 2014 at 3:36 pm — Reply

MST3K, Buffy’s “Once More with Feeling”, Angel’s “Smile Time”, Supernatural’s “Changing Channels” and “The French Mistake”, almost any Jeff Dunham special and pretty much anything by Weird Al.

I could actually list quite a bit more (for example, I have multiple custom CDs filled solely with songs that cheer me up and a whole drawer of DVDs that cheer me up), but a lot of them depend on why I’m unhappy and other circumstances. Those I listed are a few of the things that can pretty much be guaranteed to cheer me up under any circumstances.

• July 11, 2014 at 7:36 pm — Reply

MST3K is totally on my list too. It’s just so funny and full of wacky joy, how can it not leave you smiling!

6. gary
    July 10, 2014 at 3:56 pm — Reply

All the totally non sequitur randomness that creative people come up with using pop culture. Today’s example, especially for you Matthew: http://digg.com/video/when-you-only-leave-the-inhales-and-exhales-of-pro-wrestling-interviews

7. July 10, 2014 at 5:28 pm — Reply

Red Dwarf, Doctor Who, and Land of the Lost (Will Farrell movie version.) I have to give a tip of the hat to Slappy: Super Friends is excellent nostalgic remedy when nothing else will work! Thundarr the Barbarian and the Herculoids, too.

8. dan
    July 10, 2014 at 6:10 pm — Reply

Three words: Better. Off. Ted. Now, if they could just release the second season on dvd….

9. Hannah Jones
    July 10, 2014 at 6:42 pm — Reply

WheezyWaiter and old ZeFrank videos if it’s really bad. If it’s just a rough day, nothing fixes things like KenIchi and Sailor Moon, instantly raised spirits.

10. Jason
    July 10, 2014 at 7:47 pm — Reply

Doctor Horrible’s Sing Along Blog. Always changes my attitude for the better.

11. Gary
    July 10, 2014 at 8:18 pm — Reply

If I can’t get into the vegetable garden, Empire Strikes Back

12. MaydayMalone
    July 12, 2014 at 2:33 pm — Reply

Cheers. The place where everybody knows your name. The antics of the bar-goers just put a smile on my face!