Over the years, I’ve had quite a few conversations about matters involving comic books and the denizens thereof, but none have caused the kind of consternation that discussions of coloring have.  For instance, when Batman went to an all-black costume in the 90s, there were those who were angry that he had given up his traditional midnight-blue-and-grey color scheme.  Part of it is a matter of identity (as Scott McCloud famously pointed out, the occasionally questionable printing quality of old-school comics made the color schemes an essential way to identify the heroes), while part of it is a matter of preference.  Leaders tend to be colored red, while the wielders of blue lightsabers almost always lose their battles in all the Star Wars movies, and if you hadn’t noticed how many of Lee & Kirby’s early Marvel villains wore purple and green, I have to question how observant you truly are.  Color, it seems, is much more important than most people realize, which leads us to today’s color-coded query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) is always partial to red and black, but wouldn’t complain about a nice royal purple, asking: What color would your superhero costume be?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

COMICS PORTAL: Are Comics Too Realistic?

SNEAK PEEK: Daredevil #6

1. June 30, 2014 at 11:35 am — Reply

Black – because it goes with everything…. although on the flip-side, if it was clear – evil doers would run away or puke in fear of my hideousness…

2. foolsmask
    June 30, 2014 at 11:37 am — Reply

I would use blue. It would depend on what powers I had as to what other colors I used. I would use blue & black if I was a stealthy type or at least not prone to head on tactics…like Night wing I guess. If I were a Superman type, i.e. bullet proof, I would wear blue & white, with maybe a gold or scarlet splash for emphasis.

But blue would be used primarily.

3. June 30, 2014 at 11:51 am — Reply

I’m going to cheat and just say rainbow. Everyone will be so busy laughing, they won’t realize I’ve put my plans into action.

• June 30, 2014 at 11:53 am — Reply

That’s so insane, it might just work!

4. June 30, 2014 at 11:53 am — Reply

If my custom Super Sentai/Power Rangers characters are any indication, mostly purple. Part of it is because there are rarely purple rangers (I can think of only a few, even when including non-ranger allies), part of it is because I just like purple.

5. Kirby
    June 30, 2014 at 11:58 am — Reply

I would wear primarily gray with red highlights. It would have me in my favorite color along with something that would be highlighted and could give some striking visuals.

6. Ingrid
    June 30, 2014 at 12:50 pm — Reply

I would wear red (my favorite color) with gold accents.

7. June 30, 2014 at 4:45 pm — Reply

I would go with orange, because kirby crackle goes great with orange

8. Clubberlang6
    June 30, 2014 at 7:24 pm — Reply

9. July 2, 2014 at 8:43 am — Reply

I would prefer to work in the dark and shadows.

10. gary
    July 2, 2014 at 10:40 am — Reply

A very dark grey/blue. If you’re going stealthy black actually stands out in most settings. Supers tend to work in cities where there is a lot of ambient light, even at night. Dark grey blends better than black in those situations. There’s an interesting discussion about it in one of the Discworld books…