My recent bout with illness led me to rent a bunch of terrible found-footage horror flicks, including ‘V/H/S’ and a Japanese sequel to ‘Paranormal Activity’, neither of which was particularly memorable.  My love of terrible slasher movies dates back to the days when my cousin Elwood and I would have to drive down to the creepy video store by the river to rent the likes of ‘Phantasm’ and ‘Return Of The Living Dead,’ but I generally avoid bringing up the subject in polite company.  There’s a part of me that worries that people will presume that I’m sort of bunny-strangling floobernoogle, or worse, that I’ll have to debate with other folks who love the genre why ‘House Of 1000 Corpses’ was a yard too far for my comfort level.  Either way, it’s something I tend to keep mum about to avoid awkwardness, which leads us to today’s furtive query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) should also mention having seen every single episode of ‘Family Guy’, some of them multiple times, and I do enjoy much of it, asking: Which of your favorite bits of pop culture do you find just a little bit embarrassing?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

SNEAK PEEK: X-O Manowar #25

SNEAK PEEK: Unity #7

1. May 19, 2014 at 12:31 pm — Reply

I have a real weakness for ’80s and ’90s Coming of Age Films…and not your high profile marquis ’16 Candles’ or ‘Say Anythings’, but more like your ‘Morgan Stewart’s Coming Home’ ‘How I Got Into College’ and ‘Angus’…

2. Katherine Beard
    May 19, 2014 at 12:39 pm — Reply

I have a long time love for the 1981movie Hawk the Slayer. I have the framed poster the paperback novel and vinyl record. Seldom admit to it.

3. May 19, 2014 at 12:44 pm — Reply

I think back on some of the music I listened to in high school and cringe. I’m thinking of deliberately transgressive gross-out stuff like The Mentors

4. Starks Scraps
    May 19, 2014 at 1:50 pm — Reply

Avengers Alliance on Facebook. Stupid Facebook games and their addictive what and what.

5. May 19, 2014 at 2:51 pm — Reply

I wouldn’t call it “embarrassing” really, but around many people I know in RL I don’t tend to bring up that I enjoy some stoner comedies. More specifically, I avoid mentioning that I like Kevin Smith’s movies to some because they are offended by his usage of the word gay in a few movies. Being a lesbian, I can kinda see where they come from, but at the same time I think a few people I know take it a bit too personally.

I also tend to avoid mentioning I like certain cartoons and anime. For the most part, people know I generally do watch mostly animated series, but I just hate arguing that I actually do enjoy a series with people who hate it because of whatever arbitrary reason they have. I find a lot of their arguments are based on assumptions or things others have said without them ever having seen an episode. I’m not saying they have to like it, just don’t get so fussy that someone else actually does.

• starks scraps
      May 19, 2014 at 5:04 pm — Reply

There also seems to be this assumed superiority when it comes to watching Anime/cartoons. As in, if it isn’t obscure enough then you’re a big loser for liking it. Nowadays it’s refered to as being a hipster but that behavior was around when I was growing up and my teenage years predate hipsters. Oh lord, did I just hit some weird hipster loop where I encountered hipsters before they were hip? oh noooooo

• May 20, 2014 at 10:57 am — Reply

It’s the hipster ourobouros. You’ve probably never heard of it. ;)

6. Hannah Jones
    May 19, 2014 at 6:10 pm — Reply

As somebody who generally doesn’t talk much about the things I like for fear of attracting the Ire of co-workers, distant relatives on facebook, and strangers who want me to explain how someone my age “Could Possibly Know Who David Bowie Is,” or what have you, this is kind of a big question.

I guess the ones I avoid the most, even with close freinds, are Anime, Cosplay and Music.

Anime is really hard to explain to people who won’t listen, and I find most people have already made up their minds about it for better or worse.
    With Cosplay people are usually pretty cool, but when the conversation goes bad it goes REALY bad. Recent attempts have led to unfair criticisms of people who cosplay Heath Ledger’s Joker and comparisons of girls that cosplay to strippers. I think that’s enough to put anyone off of sharing that particular interest for awhile.
    As far as Music goes, it’s mainly because my taste is dubiously ecclectic and always manages to draw criticism for being either too hipster or too mainstream. Every so often somebody will tell me that I only listen to so-and-so to impress guys because “Girls don’t like that band.”