Godzilla is stomping through the box office this weekend, and is destroying all expectations.

The world’s most famous monster is pitted against malevolent creatures who, bolstered by humanity’s scientific arrogance, threaten our very existence.

Did you go to the theater to see it? Use the comment section below to share your thoughts on the King of All Monsters! Was this a win, or a fail?

Critical Hit #250: Go Team Magic Dorks! Also, We're Sorry...

Major Spoilers Podcast Summer Movie Special: Godzilla (2014)

1. May 17, 2014 at 5:55 pm — Reply

I felt a little misled by the trailer, but I got over it. Really enjoyed it. I shed a tear when Godzilla did the thing.

2. Zombi
    May 17, 2014 at 11:22 pm — Reply

Life long Godzilla fan and I loved it!

• May 18, 2014 at 10:14 am — Reply

Out of curiosity, how does it compare to the past Godzilla movies? I’m obviously expecting differences, but I hope it still felt like a worthy successor to fans of the older stuff.

I’m still on the fence about seeing it. I’m not so worried about a reboot (after all, Toho did reboot the series a couple of times to some degree and the films were still great), but I am a bit worried about having a repeat of the previous American Godzilla (which I’ve only recently been able to go from “ohgod it hurts to watch” to “I still dislike it, but not as bad” due to the retcons that the creature was merely mistaken for Godzilla in Toho’s GMK and Final Wars).

• Kirby
        May 18, 2014 at 4:57 pm — Reply

From watching a good number of older Godzilla movies from all eras, I think the new one is good, not in my top 5 or anything, but good. I like a lot of the touches the movie made, such as Godzilla getting tired, and him being smarter than the average kaiju. There are points where I feel the could have been a teensy bit more of the Big G, but hopefully we’ll get that in a sequel.

3. Bugberry
    May 18, 2014 at 9:29 pm — Reply

I like how Mason’s movie idea was basically Godzilla: Final Wars from 2004. Now that was a kickass Godzilla movie.

4. Arbor Day
    May 18, 2014 at 11:03 pm — Reply

Rather than the ’98 film, which was more of an American version of the Godzilla story, this film seemed intent on making a blend of the older style movies with certain beats that American audiences can relate to. Basically, keeping the framework of a blockbuster, and filling the meat with Godzilla.

5. Ray
    May 19, 2014 at 4:55 am — Reply

I was very worried that this was just gonna be a remake of the Matthew Broadrick Movie with Walter White in it instead. I am very glad it wasn’t. Unfortunately i don’t think the main plot was a monster movie either, so much as that of a man trying to restore a family while delivering a WOMD, oh, and a group of Monsters are fighting in the process. I am glad it kept the classic feel of the Originals for the monsters, and, when I did get to see them combat, it was fun to watch, but it needed to remember it was a movie called “Godzilla”, Not “Ford Brody”

6. May 19, 2014 at 7:30 am — Reply

I liked the movie although I feel there should have been more monster action. I’m really tired of movies about non-humans that are made to be human-centric. Transformers is just as bad. I did think that it was a great idea to hide the fact that MUTOs were in the movie in the trailers.

There needs to be a consulting group that Hollywood goes to ask how things work in real life. Not only does the military know about EMPs but they design their equipment to be immune. Combustion engines will still work. They should have done more to establish that what the MUTOs shutting down power of everything in the area was more magical in nature. While I thought the EMP idea was a good way to make the military a null issue but I think it would have been better if they had shown the military launching missiles and bombs into the creatures and doing nothing instead. They could even go to the point of Godzilla getting up at end , still ignoring the military, and heading back into the sea thus teaching us that we were powerless when it comes to Mother Nature.

I do have to say that I think Godzilla being an Alpha Predator doesn’t mean he has to eat the other monsters. His job is to kill them before they can harm the Earth. Godzilla feeds on radiation just like the other monsters.

Overall, I thought it was a good Godzilla movie. I thought Godzilla’s personality came off great. The fights were great. It was nice to have the first movie not be an Origin movie. I hope the next one has less human drama.

7. Mike
    May 19, 2014 at 8:30 am — Reply

That movie was a completely stupid, but very enjoyable experience. I’ll echo the complaints of too much time focused on humans, the deus ex machina, and the stupidity of the military, but you need a suspension of disbelief if you’re going to enjoy a movie like this, so it didn’t bother me.

I think it would have been great if they HAD used those super powerful weapons, say like a rail gun or something like that, and it had done nothing. It would have been a very funny “Oh S&*$!” moment.

As a bottom line I would say if you’re a fan of Godzilla, you will probably enjoy the movie. If you’re new and the idea of a giant monster fighting another giant monster appeals to you, you will probably enjoy this movie. If you think the whole idea is stupid, I would skip it, cause it won’t change your mind.

8. b003
    May 19, 2014 at 8:02 pm — Reply

and special guest star… Godzilla

9. May 19, 2014 at 10:32 pm — Reply

I liked it, not loved it. I have a lot of the same complaints that Stephen had about the movie. Most of the issues seem to be with the human elements, but Godzilla looked great and the big monster fights were awesome.