The down side of social media has been in play all this week, as my high school cohorts prepare for the 25th anniversary of our graduation.  Sadly, it’s not looking like I can make it, but I’m kind of okay with that, so long as I can watch ‘Say Anything,’ the movie that is more 1989 than my actual 1989 ever was.  Though I was never as tenacious as Lloyd Dobler, nor as a successful as Diane Court, there’s a truthfulness at the core of the performances that will always take me right back to high school (for good or for ill.)  Of course, if I want to go back to college, it requires me to bust out ‘Heavy Metal’ or perhaps ‘Liquid Television’, and as for adulthood, I’ll let you know when I actually get there.  It’s nice, on occasion, to vicariously relive the emotionally charged days of dating, algebra and bad lunch, which leads us to today’s nostalgic query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) doesn’t want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don’t want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don’t want to do that, asking: What movie most reminds you of good times past?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

2014 Eisner Awards Nominations announced

Adams, Moore, Molina, and Ordway headed to Wizard World Atlanta Comic Con

1. May 7, 2014 at 11:46 am — Reply

Return of the Living Dead gives me a case of warm, fuzzy nostalgia. My pals and I had a good time with that goofy flick.

• May 7, 2014 at 8:03 pm — Reply

That movie gave me nightmares, in all the good ways. :)

2. May 7, 2014 at 12:10 pm — Reply

Good choice Mark, Escape From New York does it for me.

3. May 7, 2014 at 12:16 pm — Reply

A Knight’s Tale … Not that 2001 was a great year, but that the soundtrack brought me back to my early teens during the mid-80’s (which is when I discovered the music of the late 70’s).

4. Frank
    May 7, 2014 at 1:50 pm — Reply

A group of us went to see Mad Max 3 in college. On the way home, we ran out of gas, but we were able to coast to a gas station. It’s ironic given the movie we watched. Every time I watch the movie, I remember that episode.

5. Kirby
    May 7, 2014 at 4:34 pm — Reply

Even though I wouldn’t be in high school for another couple of years, the original American Pie is still kind of what it was like for me in high school, down to looking a bit like Jason Biggs.

6. May 7, 2014 at 10:35 pm — Reply

Older movies like old sci-fi, the old “Godzilla” and other similar Japanese giant monster movies, cheesy but humorous B-movies and similar late-night movie fare of the late 80’s to mid 90’s. The content of the movies doesn’t remind me of those days obviously, but I remember the good times of either staying up late with friends on weekends (since I couldn’t go outside much due to my health issues I was allowed to have sleepovers frequently). Or after my grandpa and I would stay up (or he’d wake me) to watch the old Doctor Who (which ran on our PBS at about midnight back then) and then switch over to whatever cheesy movie was starting afterwards until I fell asleep on the floor next to my big bowl of popcorn. Or when I’d be in the hospital and one of the nurses actually would come and sit and watch those with me after her shift until I fell asleep so I wouldn’t be afraid of being in the hospital alone (yes, I do consider that a pleasant memory considering how much time I spent in hospitals in my youth).

• Rui Almeida aka Ariamus
      May 8, 2014 at 8:16 am — Reply

For me, it’s also a John Cusack flick but I go with Better Off Dead.