The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is in theaters now!

We’ve always known that Spider-Man’s most important battle has been within himself: the struggle between the ordinary obligations of Peter Parker and the extraordinary responsibilities of Spider-Man. But in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Peter Parker finds that a greater conflict lies ahead.

It’s great to be Spider-Man (Andrew Garfield). For Peter Parker, there’s no feeling quite like swinging between skyscrapers, embracing being the hero, and spending time with Gwen (Emma Stone). But being Spider-Man comes at a price: only Spider-Man can protect his fellow New Yorkers from the formidable villains that threaten the city. With the emergence of Electro (Jamie Foxx), Peter must confront a foe far more powerful than he. And as his old friend, Harry Osborn (Dane DeHaan), returns, Peter comes to realize that all of his enemies have one thing in common: OsCorp.

Did you see the movie? What did you think? Is this a good Spider-Man movie, or the BEST Spider-Man movie? Or maybe it was the worst? Use the comment section below to share your thoughts on the movie, and be sure to listen to the Major Spoilers Podcast Movie Special: Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Major Spoilers Podcast Movie Special: The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Critical Hit #248: Mystery of Blood

1. May 2, 2014 at 11:27 pm — Reply

I was a fan of the first AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, but ASM2 tops it in virtually every way. I wish they hadn’t loaded it quite so heavy with villains, and I genuinely miss the practical parkour/webslinging stunt effects from the first. But the CGI is phenomenal. Andrew Garfield is hands down the best onscreen Parker/Spidey by a mile, and his chemistry with Emma Stone is off the charts. I’ve seen it twice already, and I legitimately she’d tears both times.

Paul Smith
    Co-host of the Gobbledygeek podcast

2. J_Michael_T
    May 3, 2014 at 11:06 am — Reply

Have not seen the movie yet, but here’s my vote for The Boy to join in. He was great and nailed it at the end …

3. May 3, 2014 at 2:11 pm — Reply

Didn’t expect to like this movie, but I ended up loving it. Great story, there aren’t too many villains. Perhaps the Green Goblin bit was rushed, but all in all a very enjoyable movie. No spoilers, but does pack an emotional punch.

4. Mike
    May 3, 2014 at 11:17 pm — Reply

I absolutely loved this movie. It hit every part of Spider-man that was important. He tried to talk Electro down before just punching him, he was a smart mouth,and most importantly, even though he failed, he picked himself up and kept trying to help people.

Every fan of Spiderman should see this.

On a side note: The Boy was great! He had great insight from a different perspective and was a great addition to the discussion. I hope that he joins in on whatever Stephen thinks is appropriate for him to watch, cause he stole the show.

5. Kirby
    May 4, 2014 at 1:03 pm — Reply

I totally respect the opinion of everyone who loved this movie, but I thought it was a complete mess. On the positive side, Garfield & Stone have great chemistry together, the guy playing Harry was fine (I’ll get back to him later, though he needed a haircut to where I could take him seriously,) there were some great moments throughout.

However, this movie needed a rewrite or two. Electro was pointless in this movie, and served to be a villain only because the plot-demanded it, he’s given little to no setup for being a villain. He was a big fan of Spider-Man, who got put upon at work, and then boom ‘plot-said-so’ villain. I don’t think he’s given any sort of proper arc, and could have been the villain to part 3 doing the whole black out thing in the city, and going with all that panic.

While I enjoyed the guy playing Harry, the character’s arc just kind of happens, and is gone through at a lightning pace. If we could have dropped Electro, and given more scenes to him & Peter, or him & Felicia to give an arc, I felt this movie would have been much stronger for it.

Things that could have been totally cut out, the beginning with Richard & Mary Parker was completely unnecessary and just was padding. The airplane & hospital bits were unneeded, and could have been cut with no waste to the story. The Rhino bit on the end was tacked on, and just dragged the movie way past its natural end point. Without giving spoilers, the seasons changing around Peter would have been the best place to end the movie.

If this sounds nitpicky I’m sorry, but there was a lot of wasted potential to this movie for me, and sometimes it’s easier to talk about the negative side.

The Boy was fun to hear though, and wouldn’t mind if he was brought back to the show.

6. b003
    May 4, 2014 at 9:10 pm — Reply

Didn’t think I would like it and I was right. But I do like me some Emma Stone.
    I really dislike the Marvel Movieverse a great deal, but I was surprised to find Captain America WS was better than I thought it would be.
    ASM2 way too many cliche’s. I still think Jamie Fox should have played Tombstone in a New York Gang War.

7. May 6, 2014 at 9:32 am — Reply

I’m one of the few who didn’t like the movie so much. I felt like there was no over-arching plot. It was just a string of smaller plots like the movie was linking 4 Spider-man titles together. I felt Paul Giamotti was wasted. I felt like a lot of destruction could have been avoided if Spider-man didn’t pause to do quips. The Gwen Stacey thing was telegraphed pretty hard at the beginning. I feel like it would have been better if the movie HADN’T down the same thing as the comic in that instance. I also didn’t like the new Quick-Change power they gave Spidey.