The actor who played Falcon in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Anthony Mackie, talked about acting for a Marvel film, but also had great things to say about the need for diversity in superhero films.

Matt Blum from Geek Dad was able to interview Anthony Mackie with a group of writers to get his thoughts now that The Winter Soldier has been out in theaters. It is a fascinating interview in which he speaks about the training process, stunt work and Chris Evans butt; however, amongst all of that Mackie was able to speak about being the first African-American superhero in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and what he would like to see as we move forward.

Q: How do you feel about being the first African-American superhero?

AM: It’s funny you should ask that. [LAUGHS] It’s cool. When I was a kid, I really didn’t have a person I could look at, other than my dad, and be like, “Hey, I want to be that guy and fly through the window.” You couldn’t be like 7 years old and say, “Who do you want to be for Halloween?” “Shaft!”

So [LAUGHS] you know, it’s really exciting. When I first got this role I just cried like a baby because I was like, “Wow, next Halloween, I’m gonna open the door and there’s gonna be a little kid dressed as the Falcon.” That’s the thing that always gets me. I feel like everybody deserves that. I feel like there should be a Latino superhero. Scarlett does great representation for all the other girls, but there should be a Wonder Woman movie. I don’t care if they make 20 bucks, if there’s a movie you’re gonna lose money on, make it Wonder Woman. You know what I mean, ’cause little girls deserve that. There’s so many of these little people out here doing awful things for money in the world of being famous. And little girls see that. They should have the opposite spectrum of that to look up to.

Wonderful words from Mackie, and you know that they are sincere and not planted from Marvel otherwise he would have talked up a Black Widow movie and not Wonder Woman.

While it is nice knowing that DC and Warner Bros are scheduled to make a Wonder Woman film with Gal Gadot, both Warner Bros and Marvel need to continue pushing for more diversity within the actors in their leading roles.

What do you think about Mackie’s thoughts? Do you want to see even more diversity within the superhero genre of films? Give your thoughts in the comments below!

via Geek Dad

Zach Woolf

Zach Woolf

Zach is a recent college graduate who’s love for consuming media is surpassed only by his love for creating it. He has a firm belief that if we could all just play with LEGOs for 30 minutes a day the world would be a better place. If those two statements don’t tell you everything you need to know about Zach, follow him on Twitter at @zwoolf.

Major Spoilers Staff Picks for April 16, 2014

SNEAK PEEK: Mega Man #35

1. Spiderlover
    April 16, 2014 at 11:02 am — Reply

Well said! Being a person of color as a kid that did bug me a bit. Though not hugely as I just said whatever I have a mask on, whose going to know!

2. April 16, 2014 at 3:11 pm — Reply

I would love to see more diversity in comics, and more in superhero films. While I agree that they should make Wonder Woman even if it loses money, they should also invest enough money, talent, advertising and other resources into the Wonder Woman movie to make sure it not only makes money, but makes a good deal of money.

The real result that I want to see out of Wonder Woman is studio execs eager to make other superhero movies with diverse character leads, and a great showing at the box office is the proven way that will happen.

• Bdub
      April 17, 2014 at 6:52 am — Reply

Blade doesn’t count?

• April 17, 2014 at 3:26 pm — Reply

War Machine doesn’t count?

• JP
          April 18, 2014 at 8:05 am — Reply

Falcon was the first African-American superhero in mainstream comics, not films. That is what is being referenced here. Blade and War Machine/Iron Patriot came before him in film, but not in print.

• Jeff
            April 18, 2014 at 9:54 am — Reply

I thought The Black Panther was before Falcon?

• April 18, 2014 at 10:12 am — Reply

Actually, Black Panther was the first black superhero in mainstream comics.

3. Frank
    April 17, 2014 at 8:36 am — Reply

Well said.
    I wish the WB execs could find the intestinal fortitude to make a Wonder Woman movie.

4. Ryan
    April 17, 2014 at 8:51 am — Reply

UMMMMMM….. wasn’t Don Cheadle the first African-American Superhero (WarMachine i.e. Iron Patriot)?

• April 17, 2014 at 10:43 am — Reply

In the movies, I would think it was Blade…

• javier
      April 17, 2014 at 9:33 pm — Reply

he was the first African American hero in comics 1969 black panther was just African native of Wakanda

• April 17, 2014 at 9:59 pm — Reply

This is true if you mean superhero. There was Dell Comics ‘Lobo’ a couple of years earlier, as well as an African prince who headlined his own jungle-type title back in the 40s…

Still, The Falcon is pretty huge, historically.

5. April 17, 2014 at 1:07 pm — Reply

Actually it was Blade. Also that trilogy and its relative success was the whole start of Marvel comics venture into superhero movies. The only aspect that I’m disappointed with is the constant runaround of the Black Panther and Luke Cage movies to the big screen. It’s kind of a copout that Cage/Iron Fist is going to Netflix.

6. April 17, 2014 at 1:23 pm — Reply

Blade is not part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Marvel Studios makes a clear distinction that MCU are only those movies produced by Marvel Studios. Blade was made by New Line Cinema and Marvel Entertainment (which is not Marvel Studios), and thus not part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It’s splitting hairs of course, but it is the crafting of the wording (in this case literal meaning of MCU) that debunks the Blade theory.

In regards to War Machine, I’m not sure what the argument would be there – adversary in 2nd movie as they only team up at the end? I would agree that in the MCU War Machine has more of a claim than Falcon does.

Now, another way of looking at the question isn’t in relation to the movie at all – Falcon was the first mainstream African-American superhero in comics…

7. Robert Cabrera
    April 17, 2014 at 3:34 pm — Reply

He’s obviously a very smart person and I personally think he is a very talented actor. I believe that he means what he says and give him all the praise in the world. Good man Anthony!! Good man!!

8. April 17, 2014 at 9:48 pm — Reply

Nick (effing) Fury!?

9. paul
    April 17, 2014 at 10:41 pm — Reply

no one but Jessica biel plays wonder woman,NO ONE

10. jon m'shulla
    April 18, 2014 at 4:07 am — Reply

Gee real nice. You get picked by Marvel to play an important role and you talk up the competition. What about the dozens of Marvel Super Women? Hollywood idiots should learn to keep their mouths shut while talking about comics. They all think they are experts.

• Jeff
      April 18, 2014 at 9:55 am — Reply

Geez dude lighten up.

11. Luis Dantas
    April 18, 2014 at 5:14 am — Reply

Diversity is needed, but Wonder Woman is a very problematic character IMO.

12. Frank Gasm
    April 18, 2014 at 10:12 am — Reply

Well – there won;t be a Falcon movie. I mean, why call him when you can get someone….stronger.

13. Sherry
    April 18, 2014 at 11:36 am — Reply

YES I AGREE and she needs to be just like Linda Carter she was the BEST Wonder Woman !!!

14. me
    April 18, 2014 at 1:12 pm — Reply

As a father of a young daughter I agree completely. I have been saying this for years. Can they also please make a Supergirl/WonderWoman/Blackcat figure that is for girls not all the 40 y/o pervs in sweatpants. Liked this guy in the movie and IRL too.