It’s an overworked cliché that every region has their own nomenclature for flavored, carbonated drinks, be it soda, pop, or even just a generic “coke.”  No matter what you call it, though, it’s surprising how vehement opinions on matters of taste are.  Lately, I’ve discovered a preference for Diet Pepsi to that of Diet Coke, a development that I find a bit disconcerting, as I’ve had a lot of conversations with people who feel perhaps TOO strongly about the superiority of their favorite brand.  (There are also those who believe that diet soda is the devil, but it is the only kind I drink anymore.)  Years ago, I loved Dr. Pepper, but now find it to be overly sweet and somehow vaguely milky in flavor, echoing my mother’s third husband’s complaint that it tasted like prune juice.  A recent offhand social media remark about this phenomenon caused an unexpected chain of responses, which leads us to today’s carbonated query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) enjoys a good orange soder, and even used to love 7-Up Gold, a ginger ale type drink that didn’t quite taste like ginger ale, asking: Do you have a favorite flavor of soda pop?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

The Want List #3.7 - Real Life Mario Kart

SNEAK PEEK: Translucid #1

1. April 14, 2014 at 11:28 am — Reply

Ginger ale. The best ginger ale I’ve had was from a place that made their own in Liditz, PA that has since sadly disappeared. But it’s the right mix of sweetness & spiciness and it doesn’t make me too jittery.

2. foolsmask
    April 14, 2014 at 11:41 am — Reply

I am a big fan of the “Zero” line from Coke. I’m diabetic so no sugar is a requirement. Diet has a strange flavor that I will drink if left with no option.

3. April 14, 2014 at 11:59 am — Reply

I work 12 hour graveyard shifts so my current favourite is the green citrus flavoured NOS energy drinks. So horrible for me. Don’t care.

4. Russ Catt
    April 14, 2014 at 12:18 pm — Reply

I’ve taken a hiatus from caffeine for the last 40 days and have become a fan of the frou-frou organic Root Beers you can find in some health food places.
    The flavour is great. The price is high, which reinforces the “occasional treat” aspect of it.

• gary
      April 14, 2014 at 8:44 pm — Reply

I <3 Abita's Root Beer (yes, THAT Abita). A restaurant up the street has it on tap. <3 <3 <3

5. Ingrid LJ
    April 14, 2014 at 2:10 pm — Reply

I don’t drink much any more. I’ve always had a preference for less mainstream flavors. For years it was cream soda. And apparently being born in Michigan left me with a fondness for Vernor’s Ginger Ale, although it just doesn’t taste the same when you don’t get the Detroit stuff. My current soft drink of choice – Jarrito’s Tamarindo. Tastiest pop I’ve ever had.

6. Rome
    April 14, 2014 at 2:25 pm — Reply

Orange drinks always get me. I particularly like Jarritos Naranja. But a Slice or Orange Fanta will suffice in a fix.

7. April 14, 2014 at 2:55 pm — Reply

Give me that good ol Moxie. If you’re not from New England, you might not have ever seen it. It’s kind of like a harsher tasting Coke or Pepsi. They invented it during Maine’s prohibition era, which began in the late 1800s, so people could have something that tasted boozy without the booze.

• Hannah Jones
      April 14, 2014 at 7:39 pm — Reply

Cherry Moxie is pretty much my favourite soda ever. Super strong cola flavour with just a dash of sweetness from the cherry. There’s really nothing better.

8. April 14, 2014 at 5:54 pm — Reply

I love Faygo Moon Mist. They don’t make it anymore, plus the brand is hard to find (unless you want to get smacked in the face by some at an Insane Clown Posse concert.)

• April 14, 2014 at 7:53 pm — Reply

Used to get Faygo all the time when it was still available in my area. It was cheap, but didn’t taste like it was cheap (even tasted better than most of the generic versions it was cheaper than).

9. April 14, 2014 at 6:00 pm — Reply

I used to love Sierra Mist, but ever since they changed the ingredients a few years back, I’ve been unable to drink it. It literally makes me ill for some reason, I think my stomach doesn’t want to process the sugar they use now or something because I get sick for a day from just half a can.

I also used to love Mt. Dew Code Red, but I haven’t seen it in a couple of years.

Currently, I really love Cherry Dr. Pepper, and sometimes Sprite with a little cranberry juice mixed in (preferably the thicker concentrated cranberry juice since it adds the flavor without watering down the Sprite’s carbonation).

10. cody
    April 14, 2014 at 6:29 pm — Reply

I’ve been enjoying the throwback Pepsi quite a lot though I also enjoy a cherry Pepsi made with real cherry juice.

• April 15, 2014 at 8:54 am — Reply

All of the throwback sodas are pretty decent, as are the Mexican versions.

11. Daniel Langsdale
    April 14, 2014 at 10:02 pm — Reply

The regular drink out is ginger ale, but the special treat is a Virgil’s Black Cherry Cream Soda (but definitely NOT the “Zero” variety — I have an unreasoning aversion to stevia). I suppose this means a Shirley Temple is a close second.

-Dan’L

12. April 15, 2014 at 2:56 am — Reply

My main drink is Diet Coke but I love a good Iron-Bru [scottish]

13. April 15, 2014 at 6:01 am — Reply

I think mine is Apple Lemonade by Hartwall (local finnish).