It was pointed out to me recently that it had been two decades since Brandon Lee, star of ‘The Crow’, had died in an on-set accident during the production of that movie, a revelation that knocked me back a couple of metaphorical steps.  1994, after all, seems like not so very long ago, a time when I had a crappy red car, acted like a teenage idiot and was dating a nice young lady from Topeka.  Now, I have a slightly less crappy car of a more mature “Merlot” color, act like a slightly more seasoned teenage idiot, and have married that nice young lady and moved to Topeka.  In many ways, it’s clearly forever ago, but I still remember buying the O’Barr comic off the stands when issue #3 came out, remember the response of my fellow callow college folk to the film, and even vividly remember the bouncer at the Brass Rail whose Crow Halloween costume was eerily perfect, all of which begs today’s nostalgic query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) refuses to believe that the Crisis On Infinite Earths was 30 years ago, asking: What favorite bits of pop culture can you not believe are as old as they actually are?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

The Want List: #009: GoldiBlox is back

The Black Feather Falls: Book One Review

1. April 12, 2014 at 11:50 am — Reply

I was just talking about this with the fiancee, but the Cadbury Bunny Tryouts commercial was just on TV. Checking online, it looks like it’s anywhere between 20 and 25 years old.

2. April 12, 2014 at 12:10 pm — Reply

I cant believe that Star Wars prequel trilogy started 15 years ago. It still feels like new thing I’ve not yet fully accepted.

3. Neckbeard
    April 12, 2014 at 12:42 pm — Reply

I just watched Waynes World last night and holy crap did it feel dated. I can still quote many of the lines but they now sound old and weird. Sorry Wayne, no more partying on.

4. April 12, 2014 at 4:18 pm — Reply

I’m still having trouble grasping that Power Rangers is over 20 years old. It seems like it wasn’t that long ago when I first got my Dragonzord after waiting outside Walmart for them to open because the toys were super hard to find at the time (and Walmart still had business hours instead of being 24 hours). Or waiting in line a couple of years later for The Movie with both my little brother and my girlfriend of the time. Or the excitement on my little brother’s face when I got him the expensive “Deluxe” White Ranger halloween costume they had at Spencers (spent all my own birthday money on it).

5. Ingrid LJ
    April 12, 2014 at 6:31 pm — Reply

The Princess Bride. Seriously – it can’t really be almost 30 years old, can it? Time flies…

6. Oldcomicfan
    April 13, 2014 at 11:24 am — Reply

Well, I find it hard to believe that Star Trek will be 40 years old in two years time. What else is still around after that long a time? Bonanza is gone, Gunsmoke is gone, Perry Mason is gone. Aside from news programs and a few soap operas and Wonderful World of Disney, there’s nothing else that’s been around in one form or other as long that is still being produced today.

7. Hannah Jones
    April 13, 2014 at 1:33 pm — Reply

I’ve gotta second The Crow… when the hell did I get so old.
    Star Trek TNG doesn’t seem like it should be as old as it is. And it’s so weird to think that Firefly was cancelled around 10 years ago.

That’s not even to start on video games, I mean, I still think of FF X and being the new one that apparently only I liked… And I remember FF IX and FF VII. How old is Kingdom Hearts now? Or, god forbid, Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot!