The latest Critical Hit recording session featured the usual antics I associate with staying up too late with my nerd friends, including a fascinating dialogue about the habitat of the puffin, the woes of purchasing themed furniture and a Rob/Rodrigo discussion of classic Pokemon.  Due either to the lateness of the hour or the inscrutable pathways of memory, I shocked myself by keeping up with and even participating in a conversation about Pokemon types, an oddly exhilarating experience. The examination of which video-cryptids were ice-type took me back to my days selling Pokemon cards to unsuspecting children in the late 1990s, and left me amazed at what I retained about the various types of Pokemon and which I prefer.  Of course, there are like 20 varieties these days, and my memory isn’t THAT comprehensive (plus dragon-type seems a bit like a cheat) but I’m an old-school fan of Bill Willingham and can always fall back on the classical “elements” of lore, which in turn begs today’s query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) had childhood crushes on Firestar, Frankie Raye and Scarlett, and so has a bias, asking: Choose your classical “element”: Earth, Air, Water or Fire?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

IDW sends The Turtles to the edges of time

Animal Man #29 Review

1. March 20, 2014 at 11:27 am — Reply

Well, I hated the band “Earth, Wind and Fire” when I was younger, so I guess by process of elimination I’d be Water.

2. March 20, 2014 at 12:06 pm — Reply

I’m definitely an Earth type person. Give me the joys of walking and cycling in a park any day.

3. Kirby
    March 20, 2014 at 12:31 pm — Reply

Well because of Jaws I’m terrified of the sea, so water’s out.
    I feel like fire doesn’t net enough benefits.
    Air would be okay, but I’d prefer to keep my feet on the ground.
    So by process of elimination, I’ll go with Earth, I can think of enough offensive and defensive capabilities to it, plus I don’t have to be near the ocean or up in the sky.

4. March 20, 2014 at 2:15 pm — Reply

My friends seem to think it is fire, which is why most of the time when they name a Pokemon after me, it is a fire type. And then there is the dragon hybrid race my friend created for her fantasy setting and sorta named after me called Alidra that have fire-based powers (although a few individuals have other elemental powers, all of them have fire powers).

5. Ella
    March 20, 2014 at 3:39 pm — Reply

Most definitely Earth. I’m scared of deep water, hate burns, and dislike heights. Earth allows me to be surrounded by beauty as I murder everyone around me.

6. Ingrid LJ
    March 20, 2014 at 5:58 pm — Reply

I would have to go with fire. I’ve always had an affinity for dragons. My favorite colors are in the red-orange-yellow range. I always loved watching the sparks fly from campfires, or look at the flickering of the coals. I like fireplaces and candles and grilling out and bonfires on the beach. My favorite D&D mages have tended to gravitate toward fire as well.

7. cody
    March 20, 2014 at 10:07 pm — Reply

I’ll go with air with the ability to fly and to be able to always have my hair flowing majestically behind me.

8. Hannah Jones
    March 21, 2014 at 8:25 pm — Reply

I’m going to go with water, mainly because of it’s fluidity(get it?) of meaning. You can use it literally, yes, but it’s real potential lies in the realms of symbolism and metaphor. You can use it as a metaphor for the passage of time or for the journey from youth to old age, or as symbol for natures indifference towards man or for life itself or even for a tragic death. Though I don’t know if it personifies me, or if I personify it, I have to choose it as my favourite.

9. Ron
    March 21, 2014 at 11:52 pm — Reply

To quote Bruce Lee: ““Empty your mind, be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.”