Just received a great email from Eddie in Pittsburgh who asked a great question.

I’ve been wondering something for quite a some time, and I thought your expertise could help me out. Who would win in a fight? Spider-man or Darth Vader? I really can’t figure this one out. I’ll leave any details to you fellas.

Now, I have my answer, but instead of letting us tell Eddie how the fight would fall out, we’re letting you get in on this battle of Disney owned properties.

Who would win in a fight?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Magic Minute — Keywords: Flash, Hexproof, Protection and Regeneration

Okko Vol. 4: The Cycle of Fire

1. February 25, 2014 at 11:27 am — Reply

I think this one is pretty obvious… Sith takes Spidey in 2 rounds – maybe 3…

2. February 25, 2014 at 11:28 am — Reply

Force choke? Check. Force grasp? Check. Lightning? Check. Force reflexes and senses? Check. Spider-Man can’t do much when he’s getting choked out and can’t get away.

• February 25, 2014 at 11:47 am — Reply

Darth can’t forcelightning because of his robot body.

• February 25, 2014 at 11:50 am — Reply

Choke/Grasp – Spider-man is regularly able to defeat people like Doctor Octopus, who’s arms give him nearly the same effect as a force choke.

Lightning – Darth Vader’s ability to use Force Lightning varies from text to text. Some (Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader) will say he is incapable of using it because of his biomechanical parts. Other times (Splinter of the Mind’s Eye) he is able to use it, but even a barely trained Luke is able to resist it. Even if Vader could use Force Lightning – Shocker and Electro haven’t stopped Spider-man.

Reflexes/Senses – Spider-man has superhuman senses that could easily be on par with a Jedi. His reflexes are definitely better than Vader’s.

3. February 25, 2014 at 11:28 am — Reply

Spider-Man wins because he has the whole “triumph of the human spirit” thing going.
    He is also much more agile then Darth or even Luke during Jedi.

4. February 25, 2014 at 11:31 am — Reply

Spider-Man wins. He’s quite a bit faster, a little bit smarter and only a little less whiny than Anakin Skywalker.

Now, if it was Spider-Man vs. Yoda it would be a different story . . .

5. Sydness
    February 25, 2014 at 11:50 am — Reply

Much to my own surprise, I chose Spider-Man. My reasoning for this was simple: What is Darth Vader throwing at Spider-Man that he hasn’t faced before? Even force lightning, that most Sithy of powers, is merely a variant of what ‘ol web head faces every other Tuesday from Electro.

When has Darth Anakin ever faced anybody who is not only faster and stronger than him, but also can evade everything he throws? When has Vader Skywalker ever faced somebody whose primary attack restricts and removes mobility? Darth Asthmatic is regularly shown needing to gesture to use the force, which will be hard to do while wrapped in webbing and hanging from a light pole on Coruscant.

However, if the battle is based on who is the better pod racer I change my answer. Spidey can’t drive worth a darn.

• February 25, 2014 at 12:04 pm — Reply

“When has Darth Anakin ever faced anybody who is not only faster and stronger than him, but also can evade everything he throws?”

Although to be fair, it wasn’t like they could have let Maul win that unless it was an “Infinites” story (which it might have been retconned to since Maul showed up alive in Star Wars: The Clone Wars).

• Sydness
        February 25, 2014 at 4:46 pm — Reply

An interesting observation, but I’m not sure if I would classify Maul as truly faster or stronger. Put simply, killing others is kind of what Vader does. He is kind of a specialist.

In an odd way this highlights what I was saying. Maul may be a little faster, but not significantly so. I doubt Maul is stronger, but even if he is this is all still within Vader’s comfort zone. He has never faced anything like Spider-Man. No matter how strong, Spider-Man is likely stronger. No matter how fast, Spider-Man is likely faster. No matter how good at dancing, Spider-Man is clearly better as S-M3 taught us.

6. February 25, 2014 at 11:56 am — Reply

Spider-man’s intellect would triumph over Darth Vader’s brute force and force powers. After being evasive for a while, Spider-man would probably be able to figure out Vader’s mechanical side and use that to his advantage (Electric overload? EMP? Water? Sand?)

7. February 25, 2014 at 11:57 am — Reply

I had to go with Darth Vader. Don’t get me wrong, I think Spidey would do his best and the fight wouldn’t be easy for either party, but I’m not so sure Spidey could overcome the power of the Dark Side of the Force on his own.

8. Mark
    February 25, 2014 at 12:01 pm — Reply

I think Force Choke gives Darth the edge. Spidey may have been grappled before, but in this case there’s nothing to grapple against. I think Darth could crush Spidey’s windpipe before Webhead could remedy the situation.

• February 25, 2014 at 12:07 pm — Reply

While being force choked, Spider-man webs a nearby building with one hand. He webs Vader’s face with the other. He starts pulling and uses the leverage to, at least, break Vader’s concentration and, at best, damage/yank off Vader’s mask.

9. February 25, 2014 at 12:09 pm — Reply

I’d give the edge to Spider-Man.
    Spider-Fu and his enhanced reflexes could give him the edge in a Close-Range battle.
    Also, his incessant patter might serve to distract Vader and inhibit his Force-powers

10. February 25, 2014 at 2:57 pm — Reply

Definitely an interesting matchup, and not at all an obvious winner.

I went with my gut reaction of Vader, because James Earl Jones…

More analytically, story wise, Spidey is the good guy and would have to triumph eventually. Toe to toe however Darth wins because Spidey just doesn’t have what it takes to finish the fight.

11. mark
    February 25, 2014 at 4:00 pm — Reply

spider man both are morality plays and the hero must win

12. clubberlang6
    February 25, 2014 at 6:11 pm — Reply

The force + lite sabre = too much for spidy to handle.

• kaptaran
      February 25, 2014 at 9:08 pm — Reply

Spiderman is a Jedi too! After all, he’s a force ghost inside Doc’s brain

13. cody
    February 25, 2014 at 7:33 pm — Reply

This is a fight I want to see it’d be awesome. I give it to Spidey in the end thanks to speed, strength, and spider-sense.

14. Rene Trevino
    February 26, 2014 at 3:28 am — Reply

I’m going with Vader. “Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.”