KABOOM! Summer Blast headed your way
Award-winning publisher BOOM! Studios and its imprints, KaBOOM! and Archaia, are pleased to announce their offerings for this year’s Free Comic Book Day, which takes place May 3rd, 2014 at participating comic book shops everywhere. BOOM!’s Gold Sponsor book, KABOOM! 2014 SUMMER BLAST, will feature short stories from several of its all-age-friendly titles, including ADVENTURE TIME, REGULAR SHOW, STEVEN UNIVERSE, HEROBEAR AND THE KID, PEANUTS, GARFIELD, and two yet-to-be-announced properties. From imprint Archaia comes a Silver Sponsor book, MOUSE GUARD, LABYRINTH, AND OTHER STORIES: A HARDCOVER ANTHOLOGY, which will feature a collection of original short stories from several of its popular titles, including MOUSE GUARD, RUST, JIM HENSON’S LABYRINTH, and more, in the event’s only hardcover offering.
Free Comic Book Day is a single day when participating comic book specialty shops across North America and around the world give away comic books absolutely free to anyone who comes into their shops. It traditionally takes place on the first Saturday in May, which falls on May 3rd this year.
The 48-page KABOOM! 2014 SUMMER BLAST contains:
- A preview of STEVEN UNIVERSE, written by Rebecca Sugar and illustrated by Lamar Abrams. This is a new title based on the current Cartoon Network series that KaBOOM! will debut in July.
- An excerpt from the ADVENTURE TIME comic, created by Pendleton Ward, and written and illustrated by James the Stanton.
- An excerpt from the spin-off limited series ADVENTURE TIME: THE FLIP SIDE, created by Pendleton Ward, written by Paul Tobin and Colleen Coover, and illustrated by Wook Jin Clark.
- A excerpt from the REGULAR SHOW comic, created by JG Quintel, and written and illustrated by Jake Wyatt.
- An excerpt from the HEROBEAR AND THE KID: SAVING TIME comic (launching in April), written and illustrated by Mike Kunkel.
- An excerpt from the GARFIELD comic, created by Jim Davis, written by Mark Evanier, and illustrated by Genevieve FT.
- An excerpt from the PEANUTS comic, created by Charles M. Schulz, and written and illustrated by Vicki Scott.
- Sneak previews of two, new comic series that we can’t announce yet! More news to come on those in the coming weeks.
The 48-page MOUSE GUARD, LABYRINTH, AND OTHER STORIES: A HARDCOVER ANTHOLOGY contains:
- An original MOUSE GUARD short story written and illustrated by David Petersen.
- An original JIM HENSON’S LABYRINTH short story written by Adam Smith and illustrated by Kyla Vanderklugt.
- An original RUST short story written and illustrated by Royden Lepp.
- An original BOLIVAR short story written and illustrated by Sean Rubin. (The original graphic novel will be released in 2015.)
- An original AN AURORA GRIMEON STORY: WILL O’ THE WISP short story written by Tom Hammock and illustrated by Megan Hutchison.
- A new FARSCAPE short story written and illustrated by Ramón Pérez. (The first time Archaia has interpreted the FARSCAPE universe.)
“This year, we are thrilled to once again participate in Free Comic Book Day with two unique offerings that we believe perfectly capture the spirit of this fantastic tradition,” said BOOM! Studios Editor-in-Chief Matt Gagnon. “The KaBOOM! 2014 SUMMER BLAST spotlights some of the best of what our all-age-friendly line of comics has to offer, and even features a sneak peek of two new properties we can’t wait to announce. In 2012, Archaia made history by releasing the first-ever Free Comic Book Day hardcover, and I’m happy to report we’re bringing it back again with a stunning new anthology! Both of these offerings should generate some excitement and be a fun contribution to one of our favorite days of the year.”
Be sure to visit your participating local comic shop on Saturday, May 3rd to get your FREE copies of KABOOM! 2014 SUMMER BLAST and MOUSE GUARD, LABYRINTH, AND OTHER STORIES: A HARDCOVER ANTHOLOGY. Not sure where to find your nearest comic retailer? Use comicshoplocator.com or findacomicshop.com to find one! For more information on Free Comic Book Day, visit freecomicbookday.com.
ABOUT BOOM! STUDIOS
Founded by Ross Richie in 2005, Diamond Gem Award-winning “Best Publisher” BOOM! Studios (boom-studios.com) generates a constellation of best-selling Eisner and Harvey Award-winning original and licensed comic books and graphic novels with the industry’s top talent. BOOM! Studios is the home of Mike Carey’s SUICIDE RISK, Clive Barker’s NEXT TESTAMENT and HELLRAISER, Paul Jenkins and Humberto Ramos’ FAIRY QUEST, PLANET OF THE APES, Max Bemis’ POLARITY and Mark Waid’s IRREDEEMABLE. Steven Grant’s graphic novel 2 GUNS was recently released as a feature film from Universal Pictures, starring Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg. BOOM!’s all-ages imprint KaBOOM! publishes Charles Schulz’ PEANUTS, Jim Davis’ GARFIELD, Cartoon Network’s ADVENTURE TIME and REGULAR SHOW, Mike Kunkel’s HEROBEAR AND THE KID, and Roger Langridge’s Eisner Award-winning SNARKED. In June 2013, BOOM! acquired Archaia Entertainment (archaia.com). Archaia is the Eisner and Harvey Award-winning graphic novel publisher of MOUSE GUARD, COW BOY, GUNNERKRIGG COURT, RUST, SPERA, JIM HENSON’S TALE OF SAND, and many other great titles. In October 2013, BOOM! Studios entered into a unique first-look relationship with 20th Century Fox, giving the studio access to its library of titles and giving the publisher access to Fox’s vast catalog of films.