I have always hated the facile and ridiculous argument that I should not enjoy certain entertainments because they’re “for kids.”  As someone who didn’t discover comics and cartoons until after the general public thought I was too old for such pursuits, I find the argument to be not only insulting to me, but insulting to the younger folks at whom such entertainments are theoretically aimed.  Worse still are those who use “It’s for kids!” as an excuse for substandard work or hackneyed storytelling, an excuse that I can’t understand, given the likes of ‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ and ‘Up!’, works that were explicitly for children, but still appealed to an adult audience, which in turn begs a query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) might someday address the inverse of this syndrome, where adult fans completely co-opt a property aimed at children, but that’s another story, asking: What’s your favorite movie, book or series that you love, even though you’re outside it’s target demographic?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Major Spoilers Staff Picks for February 12, 2014

Next Major Spoilers Live Chat Sunday February 16, 2014

1. February 12, 2014 at 11:39 am — Reply

live roleplaying. Many people (at least in this country) still see it as fun when their 5year old boy is doing it, but disturbing when someone over 18 does it.
    Haters gonn’ hate!

2. February 12, 2014 at 11:42 am — Reply

For movie, you just used it as your picture. UP is one of the best movies I’ve seen, animated or otherwise.

For TV, since I’m not a 7-13-year-old Japanese girl, I guess Pretty Cure would qualify. I still wish someone would localize it, since I’m sure kids here would get a kick out of it. And like you, I dig Nick’s “Avatar” universe and am staying on that coaster as long as they’ll keep making it.

As for other media, as a fan of video games & comics, by virtue of being female I’m not in the target demographic, and both of those have long lists of potential favorites.

• February 12, 2014 at 12:21 pm — Reply

How is Pretty Cure? I haven’t seen it yet, but I’ve been intrigued ever since I learned that there was a crossover audio play between my favorite Super Sentai series Dekaranger and Pretty Cure.

3. February 12, 2014 at 11:46 am — Reply

Probably the children’s anime Hikaru no Go. It got me into Go, my all-time favourite game. I still like going back to it from time to time, and I love the J Pop soundtrack. Seriously though, more people should learn and play baduk / Go

• February 12, 2014 at 12:17 pm — Reply

I haven’t seen the anime yet, but I really enjoyed the manga.

4. February 12, 2014 at 11:59 am — Reply

Anything Pixar will be watched by me, except Planes, but I don’t think that was Pixar anyway. I also enjoy anything from the Timm/Dini DC animated universe. There was something else that I had thought of before I started typing, but I can’t think of it now

5. February 12, 2014 at 12:38 pm — Reply

Where do I begin?

Digimon, Ben 10, Batman Beyond and so many other animated series I enjoy are aimed at a younger audience (although technically I was probably still within the acceptable target age when Batman Beyond first came out).

Super Sentai is also aimed at younger viewers, but I love it.

I also like video games and comics, which can lead to the occasional annoying “Oh, are you buying this for your boyfriend/brother/etc?” and ridiculous talking down to from people who think no girl could be interested. You’d think it wouldn’t be such a foreign concept by now.

6. February 12, 2014 at 1:36 pm — Reply

This falls hard into the “I’ve long ignored this rule” category. Just a glance at one of my bookshelves will tell you I have a deep love to YA fantasy, something I used to get questioned a lot about. My why would be that YA fantasy for the last 10-20 years has been far more imaginative and less constrained than what I would find over in adult fantasy. An awesome example of this is “The Edge Chronicles” by Stewart & Riddell. But, I now have a cover when I buy those (a 6 year old niece).
    I go through cycles with Archie Comics, where I just can’t resist at the supermarket. The rest of my comics have a Steampunk or Goth aspect to them, so not really expecting for people to tell me they are for children.
    Since I discovered teletoon retro is free with my cable: The Real Ghostbusters and the Smurfs are back in regular viewing. As is EVERY version of Scooby Doo, when you need an analogy for a criminal law paper they are perfect examples. I’ve also been known to religiously record Ruby Gloom, until they cancelled it. WordGirl also highly amuses me when I can catch it.
    This even happens with music, I am told that someone is just for kids/preteens to enjoy and I can’t help thinking “Well damn their song has been stuck in my head for days. And I Still Love IT!”. Like Selena Gomez “I love you like a love song baby” she’s still pretty good. Hannah Montana (yup was a household fave with the hubby) now is completely off the table (sorry Miley, you’ve put out one good song in the last few years and I have become indifferent towards you because of your behavior these days).
    Lastly Dungeons and Dragons: those who don’t know what it is tell me to stop playing childish little games and move on in my life. Right. Childish. Screw-you. Come play with me or have nothing to say about it.
    Just to be clear: I am in my mid-thirties and have no children of my own. I’ve crossed the threshold to where most people assume that I am buying for a child of my own, but when they ask me about it and I fan-girl on them… well lets just say the look on their face is precious.

• February 12, 2014 at 2:44 pm — Reply

Oh man, I wish I had Teletoon Retro. I miss my “The Real Ghostbusters” fix (used to be on my On Demand on something called Kabillion, but got taken off).

And I still laugh maniacally when anyone calls D&D “childish”. I could see calling certain players childish (like the two guys who played Dwarves in my old group, and the DM’s wife and myself for putting makeup on them every time they passed out drunk), but not the game itself.

• February 14, 2014 at 1:06 pm — Reply

There has to be a place you can watch TRGB online. They held up well enough that I might just buy the whole series on DVD. The most recent stab at Scooby Doo was fantastic, I wish the same people would do an update of the Ghostbusters. I would be so happy! http://www.teletoonmedia.com/en/index.php/teletoon_retro/show_page/category/the_real_ghostbusters

I am getting impatient with people who pull out the D&D is childish card these days. Its happening to a lot of my friends too. Its aggravating and unnecessary, AND I was late into the RPG world. I didn’t start until I was 30 because there never was an opportunity to do so! (Despite having read a lot of the book series and collecting the Elminster books). Mostly its people who know nothing about the game itself, have never played and are making grand assumptions based on god knows what…I play a monthly game with an author and full-time Dom (you tell her its childish) and weekly Encounters with people of all walks but mostly professionals. We have a Geologist, Chemistry Masters Student, Cops, Programmers, Engineers and Specialized Techs, two Criminologists and Psychologist. There is a fairly well represented bunch at each table of tradesmen, too. So many high-school and university students who are in part looking to socialize with those ‘grown-ups’; why, so they can come to us for mentorship. At its heart it is a social game. And I am now ranting (apologies), I’ve been thinking about it for the last three days :).

• February 17, 2014 at 12:51 am — Reply

Most online sources unfortunately don’t have captions, and I’m legally deaf (I can technically hear, but I can’t understand most spoken words and have to read lips to hold a conversation face to face). Even many of the legit online sources for videos are still lacking them, which is why most of what I view online is either subtitled foreign series or movies or the rare video that actually has captions or subtitle options available.

7. Kirby
    February 12, 2014 at 6:31 pm — Reply

While I was initially in the target demographic, now being in my 20s, the Pokémon franchise is one I still love despite the idea I should have grown out of it.

8. comicfan1974
    February 12, 2014 at 6:51 pm — Reply

Digimon

9. clubberlang6
    February 13, 2014 at 6:26 pm — Reply

I like the book The Giver whic is a book for young adults. I also like to eat chocolate chip cookies for breakfast. However I usually do the adult thing and eat oatmeal for breakfast