Attempts have been made for the last 15 years to create an adaptation of the Garth Ennis and Steve Dillion’s graphic novel Preacher, but now it seems it might finally happen as AMC has given the go-ahead to the This is the End team of Seth Rogan and Evan Goldburg.

Names like Kevin Smith, Sam Mendes, Rachel Talaly and DJ Caruso have all made an attempt at one point to adapt the novel for screen, but AMC made the announcement yesterday that Seth Rogan and Evan Goldburg will be the two main heads to put Preacher on the screen.

AMC is giving them a trusted guiding hand however in the form of Sam Catlin, who was a writer-producer for AMC’s Breaking Bad. I see this move as a positive one for Rogan and Goldburg as they don’t have the experience of running a day-to-day set of a television show like Catlin gained on Breaking Bad.

What are your thoughts on AMC’s selection for creating a Preacher adaptation? Think it is a good choice to capture the tone of the Ennis and Dillion’s work? Sound off in the comments below!

via Empire

Zach Woolf

Zach Woolf

Zach is a recent college graduate who’s love for consuming media is surpassed only by his love for creating it. He has a firm belief that if we could all just play with LEGOs for 30 minutes a day the world would be a better place. If those two statements don’t tell you everything you need to know about Zach, follow him on Twitter at @zwoolf.

Marvel has found the Vision (and it ain't Agent Coulson)

Fing Fang Foom arrives on Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.

1. Rome
    February 7, 2014 at 10:07 am — Reply

Not to be THAT guy, but….

I’ll believe it when I see it.

I hope I will, but I doubt it in the same breath.

2. HipHopHead
    February 7, 2014 at 10:12 am — Reply

FINALLY!!! I would have preferred one of the uncensored cable channels (HBO, Showtime or Cinemax), but this is FAR better than a 2 hour movie.

Does anyone know why it was/is so easy for the Walking Dead to have found a broadcasting home, but we had to wait for 15 years for Preacher to find a home?

I hope the cast READS the source material to get the right feel for each character.

Next: Preacher Digital Comic Sale

• @str8edg
      February 7, 2014 at 10:28 am — Reply

Zombie are HOT right now… dealing with God… I am surprised it is happening at all! Happy but still surprised! Maybe it got green lit due to the Vampire angle! :)

Studio: WE NEED ANOTHER SHOW ABOUT VAMPIRES
      Guy: Well I read this comic call Preacher, it’s about Angels and Demons and this guy who has the power of God and his girlfriend who…
      STUDIO: I SAID VAMPIRES
      Guy: ya, ya they have a friend who is a vampire
      STUDIO: Then let’s do it!

3. @str8edg
    February 7, 2014 at 10:15 am — Reply

I love it…. I am just so afraid that they will mess it up. This is such a good book IMHO but it also has so much going on supernatural wise that I can see it turned into something just wrong.

I will watch at least the first few episodes (ya right I’ll watch it all) I will keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

I have been waiting for this so long. I think I may have re-read the whole thing again now

4. HipHopHead
    February 7, 2014 at 11:53 am — Reply

The run of Preacher by Ennis/Dillon contains vampires, religous reference, zealots etc., but was about relationships.

I think AMC has understands this with The Walking Dead. The zombies and apocalypse are used to the stories of human relationships.

I understand some of storylines must be tweaked to transition from sequential art storytelling to motion picture storytelling. Where some aspects of the Ennis/Dillon Preacher will not translate to the screen.

For the vampire fans, I hope they keep Cassidy consistent with the source material. I hope the initial run is successful enough to have “special” episodes, including Saint of Killers, Arseface, Herr Starr, Jody and T.C. (Good Old Boys) and John Wayne.

How cool would it be to animated instead of live action? consistent with Dillons art style?

• @str8edg
      February 7, 2014 at 1:11 pm — Reply

I never even thought about having it animated… that would be excellent!

5. b003