While I’m not going to pretend that the movie ‘Ted’ is a great film worthy of respect, (it’s a potty-mouthed lowest-common-denominator joke-fest, with a rather bland, love-conquers-all ending) but I’ll admit to finding great amusement in a scene where a sixty-year-old Sam J. Jones crashed a party and did an extensive riff on his most recognizable role, that of Flash Gordon.  Though the jokes were pretty much low-hanging fruit (mostly drug humor and a bit with an angry Asian man, unfortunately named “Ming”), the scene is one of the more memorable of the movie, and sort of makes me wish I could hang out with my childhood heroes.  Unfortunately, Manimal has since passed away, Snake-Eyes is a cartoon and though I always loved Knight Rider, David Hasselhoff is, sadly, also a cartoon.  Still, the idea of being able to hang out with the heroes of your pop culture is a powerful one, and the whole thought process spurred today’s query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) is really torn between Matter-Eater Lad and Ted Mosby’s ex-girlfriend (the cute one), asking: What one fictional character would you most like to have liven up your next party?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Batman: The Joker’s Daughter #1 Review

Marvel signs multi-year global digital content distribution agreement with iVerse

1. February 6, 2014 at 12:22 pm — Reply

I always thought Magik from the New Mutants would be fun to hang around with. She can teleport where ever you want to go, and she has a pretty wicked sense of humor.

On the down side though, she has a pretty bad temper. And I imagine she’s hard to entertain. If she gets bored she’ll probably teleport away. Or turn you into a newt.

-c

2. Frank
    February 6, 2014 at 3:18 pm — Reply

The Skull Kickers. If they don’t liven up a party, I don’t know that will.
    My other choice would be a character from Robert Heinlein’s books: Lazarus Long. He’s a long-lived homespun philosopher that travels from world to world when things get to ‘civilized’ for him.

3. February 6, 2014 at 4:33 pm — Reply

Hey, I liked “Ted”… But to be fair, I am on some pretty strong painkillers and other meds, so that might explain why.

I think I’d be pretty content with the Greek god Dionysus (also known in Roman mythology as Bacchus) showing up.

4. February 6, 2014 at 6:09 pm — Reply

Darren from Bewitched (Either Sargeant or York, your pick). He put up with so much BS and was such a doormat that I reckon he’d be a fun whipping boy at a party; plus I’d make him spill the dirt on Elizabeth Montgomery.

5. Kirby
    February 6, 2014 at 6:45 pm — Reply

I liked Ted, it was no American Dad, but hey. In answer to your question, I’d really like to have Mike, Joel, and the Bots for some good ol’, we’re drunk and making fun of a bad movie party.

• February 6, 2014 at 6:58 pm — Reply

A friend actually just made me a replica of Tom Servo because one of my traditions with my goddaughter is to find the worst movies at the video store to do our own MST3K at home most weekends.

• Kirby
        February 6, 2014 at 7:34 pm — Reply

That’s pretty awesome.

6. February 6, 2014 at 7:19 pm — Reply

The Eleventh (or is it Twelfth? Ahhh my head hurts!) Doctor looks like he’d be fun at a party. Come to think of it, most of the Doctors would fun at a party.