Some years ago, while out with a group of friends doing obnoxious group of friend things, a coworker named Denny informed our waitress that his name was ‘Enzio Beemish, of the Bayonne, New Jersey Beemishes,’ setting off a chain reaction of terrible fake names, including ‘Oliver Closehoff’ and of course, ‘Chuck Steak.’  Still, if the example of George Costanza teaches us only one thing (and the odds of that seem pretty solid), it’s that you need to have a good alias in your back pocket in case of emergency.  Unfortunately, not everyone can pull off the likes of ‘Art Vandelay of Vandelay Industries’ or ‘hand model connoisseur Regina Phalange’ (my college roommate actually inherited his nom de guerre of ‘Dwark Farquahrt’ from his father, like a family heirloom), which in turn begs a query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”), when unwillingly pressed for a name, has a tendency to fall back on ‘Carlisle Wheeling’, and will award large nerd points to the first Spoilerite who can explain why, asking: What, if pressed to provide one in a moment of stress and/or for comedic potential, would be your alias of choice?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Zach on Film: Sunset Boulevard (1950)

Friday Sing-Along: Wordburglar "Rap Viper"

1. comicfan1974
    January 31, 2014 at 12:03 pm — Reply

Rusty Forkman

2. January 31, 2014 at 12:58 pm — Reply

I used to tell the ladies at bars that I was Cobra Verde, ping pong champion of the world. A few actually believed me.

3. Kirby
    January 31, 2014 at 1:29 pm — Reply

If it’s clear that I’m joking, Kent Seagrave. For a more serious Jack Fleischer.

4. January 31, 2014 at 2:03 pm — Reply

It’s spelled Raymond Luxury-Yacht but it’s pronounced “Throat Warbler Mangrove.”

5. January 31, 2014 at 2:13 pm — Reply

Names I have actually given authorities, strangers and others:

– Chloe MacLeod (of the Clan MacLeod because I’m a Highlander fan)
    – Alana Scott, Hayley Jordan, Joan Stewart and Kylie Rayner (all plays on the names of Green Lanterns)
    – Amanda Lorian (say it as one word and you should get it. Hint: Star Wars)
    – Tammy Oliver (one letter off from the greatest Power Ranger)
    – Alisha Marasiah Freemoon (not a reference but the name of my old Star Wars RP character and source of my nickname)
    – Darth Mischievous

6. Neckbeard
    February 1, 2014 at 10:21 am — Reply

Like Alisha, I have also gone by Darth Mischievous. But normally I pull from the Simpsons with: I.P. Freely, Oliver Clothesoff, Al Coholic, or Max Powers.

• February 1, 2014 at 1:01 pm — Reply

I’ve used Chesty LaRue, Charity Titters and Hugh Jazz from Simpsons before.

7. Fenrir
    February 1, 2014 at 12:34 pm — Reply

My mind goes blank in these situations, I may even forget my real name.