During our latest Major Spoilers podcast, we discussed the recent revelations concerning the role of Ant-Man, and also the fact that for many years, Ant-Man was the front half of a duo as inextricably linked as Hawk & Dove or Batman & Robin.  During our discussion, though, we found that we returned more than once to that secondary question of how to cast and utilize Henry Pym’s other half, the wondrous Wasp.  Similar Waspy discussions are being had in nerdly forums around the world, but one question seems to often be going un-asked, which prompts today’s quarrelsome query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) has actually enjoyed the repeated suggestions that Catherine Zeta-Jones play Wasp, but probably for all the wrong reasons, asking: In your mind, would an Ant-Man movie really NEED to include The Wasp?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Zombies want to open your beer for you

Knight Rider replica KITT car in stores today

1. January 15, 2014 at 11:38 am — Reply

Need is a strong word. Since the Marvel movies are a separate universe, they can really do whatever they want. The average movie goer wont know the difference. Would I like to see the Wasp included? Yes I would. I enjoyed her portrayal in the Avengers:Earth’s Mightiest Heroes cartoon, as well as Hank Pym’s.

2. January 15, 2014 at 11:46 am — Reply

Well, as Derek said above, “need” is a strong word.

The only thing an Ant-Man movie really NEEDS is Ant-Man (and a good story, of course, but that isn’t the point). But it would be nice to have The Wasp because of too many reasons to list.

3. Kire Lag
    January 15, 2014 at 12:01 pm — Reply

No I don’t think they need the Wasp, and I don’t think I’d miss her at all. To be honest I’ve never been a big Ant-Man fan either and if the movie is different then the comic book version then more power to it.

4. Spiderlover
    January 15, 2014 at 12:06 pm — Reply

I’m not sure that it would. I think you can do an Ant man movie and well without the wasp. Depending upon what story your trying to tell.

5. January 15, 2014 at 2:38 pm — Reply

It’s not that it needs it. I WANT her to be in it. The more female characters there are in bigger parts the better. I can easily see her becoming Wasp later in the movie, perhaps to save Ant-Man’s butt. Then both of them can be in Avengers 2: The Wrath of UlKhan

6. comicfan1974
    January 15, 2014 at 5:37 pm — Reply

I have always harbored a secret wish that any kind of Ant-Man film would feature Wasp and be a kind of super-hero/adventure/romance/screwball comedy…but as several others have said, “need” is probably not the case

7. January 15, 2014 at 7:03 pm — Reply

I read during the Michael Pena casting that there’s still an “unnamed female lead” that hasn’t been cast yet. There’s no guarantee it is Wasp (if it is Scott Lang, could we see Cassie?) but just because there’s no mention of Wasp doesn’t mean the character isn’t in the film.

As for me, I think Ant-Man needs a Wasp, so it’s fingers crossed for me.

• Arbor Day
      January 15, 2014 at 7:13 pm — Reply

That would be a great way to get a female on the Avengers. Have Scott heroically sacrifice himself, and then Cassie take on the role of Goliath in Age of Ultron.

The only reason. I could think of needing Janet is if the Avengers break away from SHIELD.

8. Unimpressed
    January 15, 2014 at 8:12 pm — Reply

Re: Needing Wasp
    Domestic abuse does not entertain me, even if it is between superheroes.

9. January 16, 2014 at 7:38 am — Reply

I think The Marvel movies NEEDS more potent female roles. They have been doing everything right but that. Did you guys remember how much fun it was seeing females actualy doing something in that Thor 2 movie.
    Good times right?