Games That Occupied Our Time in 2013

Top Five is a show where the hosts categorize, rank, compare, and stratify everything… from cars to gadgets to people and movies. From stuff that is hot, and things that are not nearly as interesting – it’s Top Five.

When we aren’t recording shows, or reading comic books, we’re playing games, and in this episode we look at those games that ate up our time in 2013.

Contact us at podcast@majorspoilers.com

THEME PARK: Hero Ventures Unveils The Marvel Experience Domed Complex

TOYS: How They Made The Simpsons Lego Figures

1. January 9, 2014 at 12:35 pm — Reply

1-Candy Crush 2-Bubble Witch Saga 3-Juice Cubes 4-Hero Academy 5-Qwirkle 6-Dominoes 7-Poker 8-Munchkin 9-Jenga 10-Candyland :-)

2. January 9, 2014 at 1:19 pm — Reply

1: Hero Acadamy for iPhone and iPad. My name is notandreas if anyone want to play.
    2: Settlers og Catan with my wife and friends. An oldy but goldy.
    3: Munchkin with my wife.
    4: Magic on my iPad.
    5: Fjords. An exellent boardgame for only two players. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15511/fjords

3. January 9, 2014 at 1:50 pm — Reply

1: League of Legends – I played a TON of this game and made a bunch of new friends to play with. The game has a steep learning curve, but it is so rewarding when you start getting better.
    2: Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 – Playing this fighting game with my sister brought me tons of joy and laughter. We did tons of tournaments and just overall it is a simple yet deep 3D fighter that has TONS of characters from the manga/anime.
    3: Borderlands 2 – I mostly played this at the beginning of the year and thoroughly enjoyed the humor. However, after clearing the game and playing through all the missions, I didn’t get the urge to loot hunt. It’s just not my thing. Very fun game though!
    4: Skyrim – Even 2 years after it came out, I still love playing this game. I have over 400 hours total and have still not done everything. The modding community is incredible and really keeps this masterpiece of a game alive.
    5: Tales of Xillia – My sister and I have been huge fans of the Tales franchise and have started to really put some time into this game.

4. gary
    January 10, 2014 at 12:00 am — Reply

1. Starcraft 2
    2. Chess, in particular some of the chess “puzzles” where you try to figure out the best move
    3. Words with Friends
    4. Guillotine (the card game)
    5. Sid Meier’s Civ 5

5. Steven
    January 10, 2014 at 8:17 am — Reply

1. Sentinel of the Multiverse – This is a co-op card based super hero game made by Greater Than Games. The super heroes and villians only exist in these cards but the cards themselves have quotes from fictional Issues and comic series. This just hit all the right buttons for a board game and comic book lover.

2. Sid Meier’s Civ V Brave New World – this expansion made the game feel complete with trade routes and the overhaul of the culture system.

3. King Of Tokyo – board game where you are big kaiju monsters beating eachother up trying to take tokyo, don’t play without the expansion Powered Up

4. Quarriors – A Dice building game? you use dice to buy other more powerful dice that represent creatures and spells and to clear dice out of your dice bag. magic the gathering meats dominion

5. Borderlands 2 – nuff said

6. January 10, 2014 at 1:57 pm — Reply

I had to get a little help from Steam and Origin, but:

1. Battlefield 3 – since the Origin Bundle came out, I’ve played this game 96 hours, and I keep coming back. I played it when it came out on PS3, because I had problems with my hands, and couldn’t play on PC, but hadn’t played it since. Now I’m all better, and I bought all the DLC, and I’ve been having a blast! And it feels good to pwn young kids, when I’m 39 years old. :D

2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown / Ememy Within – I loooove the original UFO/XCOM games, and this is the bomb. ‘Enemy Within’ makes the game even better, and fixes a lot of bugs Fight the aliens, get monies, get better weapons, kill more aliens!

3. Terraria – I’d left this game behind a about 190 hours of gameplay, then the 1.2 patch came out, and I’ve played a decent amount again. It’s a really great game, I love the soundtrack, the art style, and everything about it. Dig, build shit, fight zombies, and other monsters, and dig more.

3. FTL: Faster Than Light – Like ‘Terraria’ there’s a lot to love about this game, including the music. Get your ass from one side of the galaxy to the other. Explore, fight, escape, and fight the big boss at the end… and lose a lot.

5. StarCraft 2 – I finally got back to playing some ladder games, and it’s fun again, even tho I still suck at it. And I got my nephews into it too. :D

7. January 11, 2014 at 9:42 am — Reply

1. XCOM:Enemy Unknown – on classic iron man mode (the only way to play). So difficult, so good and for my money its the best video game in years.

2. The Binding of Isaac: Wrath of the Lamb – simple mechanics but a great theme and art style transform it into a compelling experience.

3. Smite – A free over the shoulder MOBA. The novelty has kinda worn off, but good fun to play with friends over mic.

4. Castle Panic – We play a drinking game with this – take a shot when a boss lands in your designated segment of the board, when a wall or tower falls in your section and optionally take a shot once per game to cheat (eg. don’t discard your archers when plague archers is drawn). In this version, you WILL panic.

5. Left 4 Dead 2 – Because asymmetric multiplayer FPS mechanics are the best multiplayer FPS mechanics.

8. January 11, 2014 at 2:34 pm — Reply

Bioshock Infinite (super awesome story)
    Mass Effect 3 (just getting around to it)
    Borderlands 2
    Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning
    Elder Signs (single player mode unfortunately)

9. Thorfinn
    January 11, 2014 at 6:13 pm — Reply

1. Borderlands 2 as the Mechronancer.
    2. Borderlands 2 as the Gunzerker.
    3. Borderlands 2 as the Assassin
    4. Kerbal Space Program — Build rockets, shoot them into space, and land moons or other planets. Great fun. I consider there are definite strategic elements to the game, trying to figure out the best design for your rockets.
    5. YouTube — Watching you tube talent play games. I mainly watch Terraria, Magicka, BioShock Infinite, and Beyond Two Souls. These are playthroughs by Total Biscuit and/or Jesse Cox. Based on other reviews, I believe the best way to experience the game “Beyond Two Souls” is to watch Jesse Cox play it. It doesn’t sound like a good game on the whole, but it certainly works well watching it on you tube.

10. January 12, 2014 at 10:01 am — Reply

Usually I play games with my daughter. 1. Disney Monopoly Jr., 2. Candyland, 3. Clue, Jr. 4. Trouble, 5. Game of Life

11. Gary
    January 12, 2014 at 8:48 pm — Reply

Quick note for Matthew – Johnny Klebitz turns up in GTA V… minor role.

12. Adam
    January 14, 2014 at 6:24 pm — Reply

1. SimCity5, I love a good city simulator, been playing since the first SimCity, despite its problems the game is great now.
    2. Assassins Creed 3. Im a big history buff and love the time setting of the game. So much to see and do in this game, cant wait to start AC4
    3. WoW…enough said…
    4. CoD3. I love gaming with friends back home in Minnesota, this is a great way to hang out
    5. Skyrim. Between WoW down times and breaks its a great world to escape from the family and work into.

13. January 16, 2014 at 7:30 pm — Reply

1. Fall out 3… may be an older game but I LOVE it. I don’t even want to see how many hours I have spent playing that one

2. Dishonored DAMN good game I can not recommend it enough. I just got the GOTY edition so I can play the DLC… our internet sucks here so I can’t download the DLC

3. Candy Crush, got hooked there for a while. Trying to forget about it

4. Hungry Hungry Hippo. The one thing my boy wanted for Christmas. And yes I banked enough hours from the 25th till the 31st to count!

5. Starcraft 2… I just think I love all things Blizzard and this game is one of the best.

So far in 2014… Starbound! Yikes this games sucks up your time… I play it passively every night while we chill out and watch some TV

14. Frederick aka Darth Macho
    January 17, 2014 at 2:40 pm — Reply

Great episode. Please don’t be too mortified when you read my list, as it’s embarrassing for a 43yo man to admit all of this, LOL!

5. Dungeons and Dragons: Of course my favorite podcast, Critical Hit, got me back into this game in 2012 after a 20 year hiatus, but once I felt I got the hang of it, I decided to run a game for my sister, nephew, daughter. While our campaign was curtailed a bit in 2013, it’s already back on track and my players are now paragons!

4. Munchkin: Another favorite podcast got me into this game, which I played with my girls almost daily until my little one decided she didn’t want to play anymore, and m sister ruined the game she was in by taking real offense to the whole backstabbing your buddies concept. I haven’t played in awhile, which makes me sad.

3. WWE 2K14: Despite not getting it until October, I’ve spent countless hours tweaking my female create-a-wrestlers, so they are showing just enough skin so that they look hot, not enough so my wife gets suspicious. Yes, I’m THAT guy. (Hangs head in shame.)

2. Minecraft: My kids had been playing this all year on the Xbox, but when Christmas vacation came, I had them show me how it works. Needless to say, it occupied most of my waking hours in that 14 days I was off work!

1. Animal Crossing; New Leaf: No joke, I played Animal Crossing; City Folk daily for the better part of 4+ years, with the only exceptions being family vacations when we were out of town. So when the new game came out, I vowed not to even try it, for fear of addiction, but on father’s day, my wife and kids, who all had their own copy of the game, presented me with a brand new DS and my own copy of the game (yes, my family owns 4 copies!). Well, I was playing recently, and the game itself interrupted me and told me I had logged in 500 HOURS of game play, which apparently comes to 22 DAYS of total gameplay! Now I’m certain that there are people that have logged in far more time playing games, keep in mind, I’m a 43yo man, I have a full time job, a wife and two kids, and I’ve also got 4 other games on my list that occupied my time in 2013! I guess it’s safe to say, I haven’t grown up, and I’m not sorry about it, LOL!

Thanks for not judging!

15. January 26, 2014 at 8:59 pm — Reply

Borderlands 2 : Same[486 hours]
    Sanctum 2 : Think Tower Defense + First Person Shooter + Co-Op[54 hours]
    Garry’s Mod : Prop Hunt/Murder/Trouble in Terrorist Town
    My D&D Game : D&D[6 hours every 2 weeks = 6 * 26 = 216]
    Minecraft : Minecraft dude

As I have no job and couldn’t do any courses until autumn I had a lot of time when not searching for a job etc

16. Chase
    April 29, 2014 at 10:16 pm — Reply

5) Pokemon Emerald: Jumped to this game right after FireRed. Loved the new setting and the fact that you could battle two different trainers at the same time. Fell apart towards the end though.

4) Neverwinter Nights SOU: This campaign was much better than the original.

3) X-COM: Enemy Unleashed: Satisfyed my craving for a strategy game.

2) Tales of Graces f: I sunk over 100 hours into this game. Even though the plot was lackluster, the battle system was excellent. I’ve yet to experience better.

1) Munchkin: Over the summer, a couple of friends and I would play Munchkin a few times a week. Games could go on for hours. A truly awesome experience. Best summer ever.