Over the years, the Time Lord known as The Doctor has traveled with a great many companions, from his own grand-daughter to a gobby Australian to (depending on what you consider to be official) a shape-shifting space-penguin.  The interactions have ranged from paternal to buddy-buddy and back, with a rare few clearly romantical in nature.  Sometimes the characters overshadow the work (like Clara), sometimes the work overshadows them (like poor Turlough) and sometimes they just flat don’t work at ALL (the android known as Khamelion.)  But in each and every case, the travel-mates chosen bring out new sides of our immortal protagonist, and even the ones that I hate are part of stories or moments that I truly enjoy.

Except for Adam, because $&#* that guy.  In any case, this discussion does raise a particular query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) decided to limit it to the primary modern-era solo companions, not to discount Rory, Cap’n Jack or Ricky the idiot, asking: If you were the Doctor at this very moment, would you prefer to travel with Rose, Martha, Donna, Amelia or Clara, and WHY?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

SOLICITATIONS: Valiant Entertainment for March 2014

SOLICITATIONS: DC Comics for March 2014

1. comicfan1974
    December 16, 2013 at 11:40 am — Reply

Martha, as she is the only character I could see actually enjoying spending time with and not wanting to throttle (with the possible exception of Clara).

2. Frank
    December 16, 2013 at 12:30 pm — Reply

Amy Pond would be my choice. Smart and can keep up with the Doctor.

3. Rob
    December 16, 2013 at 12:54 pm — Reply

Donna gets my vote because I’ve never been a fan of the romantic subplots in Dr Who and I’ve yet to warm to Clara.

4. Rome
    December 16, 2013 at 12:56 pm — Reply

Martha all the way. Martha ended up doing all of the actual work anyway, and with the Doctor bumbling about all the time, a more capable companion would be the best choice.

5. Frank
    December 16, 2013 at 1:26 pm — Reply

@Rob,
    Maybe Clara will be like Mickey. It takes a number of seasons for the actor/character to come into his own. I did not care for Mickey initially, but really liked him by his last arc.

6. justanothergeek
    December 16, 2013 at 1:42 pm — Reply

Donna, because so far she’s the only one who was the Doctor’s friend, and just friend and a good friend at that, from the get go. As lovely as the others have been they all had a crush on the Doctor, granted Donna also kind of had it too but she got over it very quick, also granted Amy also got over hers but it took years, but there was a levity to Donna relationship with the Doctor, there was nothing bittersweet to it they were just two buddies having a grand time, which makes it all the more sad on how it ended.

7. Dino
    December 16, 2013 at 5:28 pm — Reply

I’d pick Donna, but then her head would explode or something. Of those listed, Clara would be my second choice.

8. December 16, 2013 at 7:09 pm — Reply

Of the ones in question, Donna!
    The interaction between the Doctor and Donna reminded me a lot to the Doctor (Tom Baker) and Sarah Jane.
    No romance, just lots of fun back and forth…. Like friends!

Sarah Jane Smith “is” number one, followed by Jo Grant. ;)

9. December 16, 2013 at 7:30 pm — Reply

Of those choices, probably Donna solely for the fact she’s the only one I’m not attracted to and thus we’d actually be able to save the universe instead of, uh, doing other stuff.

However, if I could choose from ANY companion, I’d be torn between Sarah Jane Smith and Jamie McCrimmon. Or if we include other media companions, Kroton or Frobisher (the shape-shifter, not the one from Torchwood: Children of Earth).

10. December 16, 2013 at 7:32 pm — Reply

I would choose Clara but she is much to clever for me. I love the sarcastic nature of Donna, thus she would be my choice.

11. December 20, 2013 at 9:42 am — Reply

I’m going to say Rose. She was the companion when I started watching Doctor Who as an adult. I’ve always had a soft spot for her since. Same reason the 9th Doctor is a close second favorite to the 4th Doctor for me.