The process of creating our daily query is a complex and diverse one, with some questions leaping from my head like Athena, while others require hours of massaging and tortured think-amajigs to achieve even a semblance of coherence.  (This one might had needed another seventeen minutes or so, now that I think of it.)  Once in a while, though, we have to consider one of the great posers that face us a species, one of the truly BIG questions that vex generations of our greatest scholars…

But, since we’ve already done “Ginger vs. Mary Ann”, we’ll go another direction.

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) sometimes ponders the imponderable, while contemplating the nature of conceptual reality and eating Chunky Monkey, asking: Given no other options, would you rather be a miserable genius or a happy idiot?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Major Spoilers Live Chat - December 14, 2013 - FREE EVENT

Wayne’s Comics #111: David Schulner and Peter Hogan

1. clubberlang6
    December 14, 2013 at 12:22 pm — Reply

I would rather a genius

2. Goofball814
    December 14, 2013 at 1:01 pm — Reply

I’ve always though of myself as a genius, but since I’m also happy in life, maybe I’m idiot and just don’t know it!

3. TJM
    December 14, 2013 at 1:18 pm — Reply

As much as i would like to be a genius, if choosing idiocy would lead to true happiness i’d take it.

That’s a rather selfish decision isn’t it? A genius would certainly contribute much more to the world. But at the cost of my personal joy? Pfeh.

Heck, i bet all the great philanthrophists throughout history took some pleasure in selflessly serving others.

4. December 14, 2013 at 1:47 pm — Reply

I am a happy Idiot, but I will always aspire to me a miserable genius

5. December 14, 2013 at 5:04 pm — Reply

So my choice is “or death?” You guys should have assessed the cake demand a bit more thoroughly…Seriously, having been, at times, a quite happy idiot, I’d like to give the miserable genius thing a try. I’d hope to learn to cope long enough to produce something of greatness before the inevitable Hemmingway, or help to define that elusive middle ground between the two extremes.

6. Hannah Jones
    December 14, 2013 at 6:52 pm — Reply

I’d rather be a miserable genius than an happy idiot any day. I think maybe it’s just my sense of vanity though.

7. December 14, 2013 at 7:57 pm — Reply

Happy idiot, because I’m already a miserable insane person, and we all know there is a fine line between genius and insanity.

8. dan
    December 14, 2013 at 11:21 pm — Reply

I’ll take rosario dawson.

• Marco