A recent social media post reminded me of the existence of a minor DC character named Wild Dog, who was once heavily promoted to be the future of superheroics in the faraway year of 1987.  Though the character had a lot going for him, with some excellent art and a very timely premise, he dropped off the radar not long afterwards, with his only post-Reagan-era appearance that I am aware of during the massive battle sequence in Infinite Crisis.  Still, the gun-wielding hero from the Quad Cities isn’t the only “Next Big Thing” to not live up to the hype, as it wasn’t long after that ABC debuted a show that they hoped would change the world of police shows forever…  Cop Rock.  Even the venerated likes of ‘Buckaroo Banzai’ and ‘The Rocky Horror Picture Show’ (important figures on the Major Spoilers food pyramid) were less than successful in their initial outings, no matter how devoted the fans have become in the years since.  This begs today’s query.

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) fondly remembers when Wild Dog was sharing an anthology book with The Secret Six, Disco Bondage Black Canary and the last Green Lantern, asking:  What’s character, concept or show do you most want to see gain an audience and become a “cult classic?”

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

Major Spoilers Podcast #551: Doc Savage #1 Cover to Cover with Chris Roberson

SOLICITATIONS: Dark Horse Comics for March 2014

1. Chris
    December 13, 2013 at 11:45 am — Reply

I would love to see Danger Mouse or Duckula come back or become more popular.

• December 13, 2013 at 3:28 pm — Reply

I was JUST thinking about those the other day, wondering why I can’t seem to find anyone else who remembers them except on the internet. I even looked up images to show my friend who thought I was misremembering some other show.

• December 13, 2013 at 9:50 pm — Reply

Duckula is classic. I cherish my old season 1 DVD set. If only they would release all the seasons, the world would be a better place.

2. SmarkingOut Adam
    December 13, 2013 at 1:33 pm — Reply

X-Men Evolution. I loved that show.

3. December 13, 2013 at 3:47 pm — Reply

I wanted to say “Forever Knight”, but it already does sorta fit the category, although the following is rather small compared to some things. Awesome fans, though, a few even sent me some fan made items that look like they could be from within the show (such as a bumper sticker for LaCroix’s radio show “Nightwatch with the Nightcrawler”).

I guess I’ll have to go with Danger Mouse and Count Duckula like Chris above me stated.

4. December 14, 2013 at 2:09 pm — Reply

The New 52 versions of OMAC and Dial H For Hero. The first only lasted eight issues, but I thought it was campy, colorful fun. The latter was one of the best homages to classic Vertigo comics, and was amazing in its own right. I can’t say there was too much to like about the DC reboot, but these underrated series were two that I awaited every month, and am sad to see get canceled.