DIGITAL COMICS: ComiXology Announces 12 Days of Free Comics

SNEAK PEEK: Dynamite Entertainment for December 11, 2013

1. December 10, 2013 at 1:23 pm — Reply

Man, that looks impressive.

2. December 10, 2013 at 1:49 pm — Reply

Garth Edwards is the director on for this flick and if you like what you see here you should really go watch his super low-budget movie Monsters. His feel behind that seems to have transferred into Godzilla.

• Jon
      December 10, 2013 at 8:09 pm — Reply

Hell yes. Monsters is a beautiful movie, with a really unique POV. Definitely worth a watch on Netflix.

• December 11, 2013 at 7:39 am — Reply

Oh seriously, I can’t wait then. I am so glad he got a big movie, I told the people I watched Monsters that he would be taking something big. I hope he can make this feel as good as Monsters did.

3. December 10, 2013 at 1:59 pm — Reply

Okay, but where’s Matthew Borderick … ?!

4. Mark
    December 10, 2013 at 2:43 pm — Reply

so a longer and duller version of the first 5 mins of Pacific Rim…
    it’s the first time in an age I have been bored by a trailer.

a monster I have seen 30 times
    no actors I care about

I think that there is a good chnage this will be on par or below with the Borderick one

5. December 10, 2013 at 3:21 pm — Reply

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: If it isn’t in a rubber suit, it isn’t Godzilla.

However, I kinda hope that similar to the Godzilla vs Zilla (the Broderick Godzilla) fight in “Godzilla Final Wars” we’ll eventually see the Toho monsters fighting this huge thing. Imagine Godzilla, Mothra, Mecha-Godzilla and a few of the other not-so-evil monsters teamed up to take this thing down.

6. December 10, 2013 at 3:37 pm — Reply

I think this is going to be much more like the original Godzilla . . . or Gojira . . . the one in 1956 with Raymond Burr added in for American audiences. It’s a moody monster film about an unstoppable metaphor to nuclear testing. It’s a different animal (no pun intended) to the rubber suit days of “Destroy All Monsters”. Even though I love the latter dearly, I’m looking forward to this new take.

7. Kirby
    December 10, 2013 at 5:47 pm — Reply

I’ve heard there is going to be some rubber suited Godzilla, but that might just be internet rumor. This trailer, eh I get the build up aspect, but it’s Godzilla, even my three-year-old cousin knows what he looks like.

8. Arcturus Mengsk
    December 10, 2013 at 7:15 pm — Reply

Awesome. Goosebumps at the end. I used to rent the rubber suit movies when I stayed at my dad’s on weekends as a kid. This is now on my radar. I just hope the big guy doesn’t get vaporized at the end.

9. Oldcomicfan
    December 10, 2013 at 7:25 pm — Reply

Well, the rubber suit Godzilla had its day in the 50s and 60s. Let’s just forget about Mothra, Mecha-Godzilla and all of their ilk – they belong in the same movie Hell as Jar-Jar Binks and the Ewoks. I think this trailer, if not the movie, pays considerable homage and respect to the original, unlike the Matthew Broderick abortion. I will probably go see this in the theater.

10. Ian
    December 10, 2013 at 10:07 pm — Reply

Up from the depths, thirty stories high!

11. UltraMatt
    December 11, 2013 at 10:33 am — Reply

I cannot wait to see this!!!! It looks to contain what a good Godzilla should have: grim, darkness and horror. I am also very glad to hear that this will not be a Godzilla vs Military film (ala Godzilla 1998) but will have other monsters as well. It is VERY hard to pull off a Godzilla only film and has only successfully been done twice (Godzilla 1954 and to a lesser extent Return of Godzilla).

On the subject of CGI vs Rubber Suit, in my opinion both have their place really. While it is easy to badmouth or degrade the use of such effects, the rubber suit days do deserve some respect at how much work was put into films of that nature (with some exceptions…*cough*GodzillavsMegalon*cough*. While I am sad to see that we won’t be seeing practical effects being used to bring the monsters to life, that will not prevent me from seeing the film. As a very loyal Godzilla fan, it would be insanity not to.

12. b003