As this week is a Holiday in America (indeed, for some of us, it’s two of ’em), our regularly scheduled podcasts are on a temporary holiday hiatus.  Fortunately, I keep my MS-QOTDs numbered, for just such an emergency, which means we’re ready to talk turkey, in the vernacular.  The last few weeks, I’ve been focused on television and movies, which makes me feel like I’ve been giving comic books a little bit of a short shrift.  That’s kind of a shame, as there are literally thousands of amazing stories out there to enjoy, from Action to Adventure all the way through Zoot Sputnik.  (Yes.  I just said that.  You’re welcome.)  In the 80+ years of comic history, there have been many powerful moments, such as Peter Parker’s shocking moment on the George Washington bridge, or that one cover where Shi had 11 fingers, which in turn begs a query…

The MS-QOTD (pronounced, as always, “misquoted”) has a lot of great candidates in mind for this one, and could probably go of for days, asking: What single comics page or panel is the most memorable to you?

Matthew Peterson

Matthew Peterson

And a nice red uniform.

COMICS PORTAL: There Are No Bad Characters!

New Comic Releases for November 27, 2013

1. TaZ
    November 26, 2013 at 11:27 am — Reply

Gwen Stacey’s death from falling in Spiderman.

2. Kirby
    November 26, 2013 at 11:41 am — Reply

Ghost Dibnys in 52.

3. November 26, 2013 at 11:52 am — Reply

The flowers on the lion statue in London at the end of “The Fury” Hellboy arc. Incredibly moving for someone who’s been reading Hellboy since the beginning. What an amazing callback.

4. November 26, 2013 at 12:02 pm — Reply

Batman beating several of the White Martians in JLA.

5. November 26, 2013 at 12:15 pm — Reply

A couple.
    As a kid, this one haunted me. You have the expression on Kal’s face and the sheer destruction of the Anti-Monitor…

As a Transformers fan, this one always impressed me:

6. November 26, 2013 at 12:24 pm — Reply

A double page spread at the end of Katsuhiro Otomo’s “Domu: A child’s dream”.
    It’s an extreme close up as the Antagonist’s face as he loses the climactic psychic battle against the young protagonist.
    Frightening, extremely well-rendered and memorable.

7. Rob
    November 26, 2013 at 12:49 pm — Reply

Gaze into the fist of Dredd!

8. November 26, 2013 at 12:57 pm — Reply

Jim Wilson’s Death in Incredible Hulk. I cry just thinking about that one.

9. November 26, 2013 at 1:25 pm — Reply

From JLA (I think issue 33) where Plastic Man posed as a dress for Big Barda without her realizing it, then strangling him once she does.

10. November 26, 2013 at 1:43 pm — Reply

One of my earliest comic book memories is of one of the old black&white horror comics from the 70s (Creepy? Eerie? Something like that.) There was a lady, and a bat flying away with one of her eyes, and across the bottom of the spread was “EEEEEE.” I remember wondering, “Why does it say EEEE?” (I was little back then. lol)

• November 26, 2013 at 2:08 pm — Reply

Haha!! I used to take comics to my older brother and ask how things like that were pronounced. He taught me to read with comics, so I stumbled through some of those things like “EEEEE” or “BAMF” and other things until I got a little older. In a case like that, I wouldn’t have thought of a screech or scream, but somebody saying the letter E over and over.

11. SmarkingOut Adam
    November 26, 2013 at 3:20 pm — Reply

Colossus breaking up with Kitty after Secret War. Moron.

12. Frank
    November 26, 2013 at 3:42 pm — Reply

In Days of Future Past, Wolverine being slagged by a Future-Sentinal.

13. comicfan1974
    November 26, 2013 at 4:36 pm — Reply

The last page of Legion of Super Heroes #4 (1990) where Mon-El makes the choice to kill the Time Trapper and obliterates everything…fade to white. It blew my mind the first time I read it (actually the first 5 issues are still a favorite of mine)

14. Arbor Day
    November 26, 2013 at 11:55 pm — Reply

I’m not sure what specifically defines memorable but when I was a kid, like 5, I would read comics in the grocery store while my parent shopped. The first thing I would look for is the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and there was a mix between the more mature ones and the ones for kids, the violence didn’t register with me until this comic. I don’t remember the exact stuff about the violence or much of the plot, Raphael was infiltrating some compound.

Anyway for whatever reason the second page has just stuck with me through the years. It was four panels depicting the compound at night, done only in turtle green for the negative space and and black to define the compound as Raphael got closer.

15. Randallw
    November 26, 2013 at 11:57 pm — Reply

The full page showing Doctor Doom’s face after he steals the Beyonder’s powers in Secret Wars.

16. Adam Murray
    November 27, 2013 at 1:25 am — Reply

The New Teen Titans #38: “Who is Donna Troy?”, page 17. The page where Donna finds her family and just breaks is the most human moment I have ever read in a comic. Her expression… almost too real.

17. November 27, 2013 at 3:30 am — Reply

Soviet Union propaganda poster-style full page picture of Superman “fixing the sun” in the end of All-Star Superman.